Ahhh 997 GTS vs. 991 C2S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 09:36 AM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pratas
The S come with -10mm PASM as standard. There is an additional option for S with another -10mm lower, the total is -20mm.

There are 2 options for base model, one is -10mm as same as the S stardard PASM and the other is -20mm.
Interesting. My dealer simply calls them PASM and non-pasm cars.

According to him the S gives you non-PASM -10mm of drop. If you get the PASM option you get an additional 10mm of drop for a total of 20mm.

He didn't imply 2 levels of PASM.

(edit - just checked - There is PASM and there is Sport with PASM on the base car, but not both. When you select Sport with PASM it makes you unselect PASM. So basically there is not 2 levels of PASM. Sport gives you a 10mm drop, and then PASM adds another 10mm drop. Sport is not active - sport is just a more aggressive ride height. So the S model car has no PASM - just a 10mm drop.)

Last edited by EricP; 02-18-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:43 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by EricP
Interesting. My dealer simply calls them PASM and non-pasm cars.

According to him the S gives you non-PASM -10mm of drop. If you get the PASM option you get an additional 10mm of drop for a total of 20mm.

He didn't imply 2 levels of PASM.

(edit - just checked - There is PASM and there is Sport with PASM on the base car, but not both. When you select Sport with PASM it makes you unselect PASM. So basically there is not 2 levels of PASM. Sport gives you a 10mm drop, and then PASM adds another 10mm drop. Sport is not active - sport is just a more aggressive ride height. So the S model car has no PASM - just a 10mm drop.)
IMO, 20 mm of drop is a worthwhile thing to have. Lowers CG, improves performance, and looks better. The Cayman R has that amount of drop, but with a passive suspension (no PASM).

Old 02-18-2012, 09:55 AM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Manifold
IMO, 20 mm of drop is a worthwhile thing to have. Lowers CG, improves performance, and looks better. The Cayman R has that amount of drop, but with a passive suspension (no PASM).
agreed here.

See below - these are SpikeP's car pics. I know for a fact that he has an S car with PASM. So he has the full battery of drop. This is the lowest factory slam you can get. Also interesting to note that SPIKEP has 5mm spacers on this car.

How cool is this?:

Attached Images    
Old 02-18-2012, 09:57 AM
gleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to behold
There are two levels of PASM. PASM (-10mm) and Sport PASM or SPASM (-20MM). For the S, you can get PDCC with or without SPASM. I ordered PDCC with SPASM since it should soften it up in the city and stiffen it up on the track.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:02 AM
mostlyjames is infamous around these parts
Build

This is my build:

BOSE(R) Audio Package P37
Exterior Color Black
Black leather front seats
Electric folding exterior mirrors
ParkAssist (front and rear)
Sport Chrono Package
PASM Sport Suspension
Sport Exhaust System
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
20-inch Carrera Classic wheel
Automatically dimming mirrors
Sport Seats Plus
SportDesign steering wheel

Total Price* $114,250

How does this look? I'm wondering if I really need the SC, since the 991s already come with a sport button. And I don't plan on using the launch control that often. Also, how does the standard black look? I've only seen Basalt Black.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by gleek48
There are two levels of PASM. PASM (-10mm) and Sport PASM or SPASM (-20MM). For the S, you can get PDCC with or without SPASM. I ordered PDCC with SPASM since it should soften it up in the city and stiffen it up on the track.
I don't doubt you know what you are talking about, but my dealer insists that when you buy a 911 S without the PASM option, the suspension is -10mm passive rather than -10mm active (pasm).

I would tend to agree with you by default since the sport button changes ride quality (active) as well as PDK shift mapping.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by mostlyjames
This is my build:

BOSE(R) Audio Package P37
Exterior Color Black
Black leather front seats
Electric folding exterior mirrors
ParkAssist (front and rear)
Sport Chrono Package
PASM Sport Suspension
Sport Exhaust System
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
20-inch Carrera Classic wheel
Automatically dimming mirrors
Sport Seats Plus
SportDesign steering wheel

Total Price* $114,250

How does this look? I'm wondering if I really need the SC, since the 991s already come with a sport button. And I don't plan on using the launch control that often. Also, how does the standard black look? I've only seen Basalt Black.
I'm such a huge fan of the FULL leather I couldn't go without it. It makes the a pillars alcantara instead of vinyl and dash leather - and the side strips on the door become aluminum.

You don't want dynamic engine mounts? Also you won't get the sports PLUS button - but you may not care. And SC used to bundle in seat memory, unsure if this still is the case. (not important) Did they have other 991's to sample options on? That way you could really see if you wanted those features.

Enjoy the process man! This is the fun part.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:09 AM
pratas is just really nicepratas is just really nicepratas is just really nicepratas is just really nicepratas is just really nice
Copy from the Porsche websit

PASM, the electronic damping control system, is standard in the 911 Carrera S models and available as an option for the 911 Carrera models. It actively and continuously regulates damping forces according to driving style and road conditions. In addition, the suspension is lowered by 10 mm.
PASM has two modes, which can be selected using a separate button on the centre console: ‘Normal’, which is a blend of performance and comfort, and ‘Sport’ where the setup is much firmer.

The new PASM sports suspension is available as an option for the 911 Coupé models in conjunction with 20-inch wheels and Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) or Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus).
The ride height is 20 mm lower than with the standard suspension or 10 mm compared with the PASM suspension. The springs are harder and shorter, and the anti-roll bars on the front and rear axles are stiffer. The front spoiler lip has a more sporty geometry, the rear spoiler extends even further. These not only further reduce lift at the front axle, but also provide downforce at the rear axle for improved aerodynamics and even better performance.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:13 AM
Awesome - thanks for clearing that up pratas.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:13 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
I don't doubt you know what you are talking about, but my dealer insists that when you buy a 911 S without the PASM option, the suspension is -10mm passive rather than -10mm active (pasm).

I would tend to agree with you by default since the sport button changes ride quality (active) as well as PDK shift mapping.
There is no "S" model without PASM...its standard on the car.

You can elect to the purchase PASM SPORTS option which lowers the car 20mm instead of the 10mm with PASM.

The PASM SPorts also has harder springs and stiffer anti roll bars and I think a different lip in front.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:14 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Oops...I see that pratas beat me to it....good job

Old 02-18-2012, 10:15 AM
yeah I'm not too hip on that lip - I may be swapping mine out with a non-PASM lip. Which can be done. I've looked into that one. Same bumper/holes. See pics

Attached Images   

Last edited by EricP; 02-18-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:39 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pratas
Copy from the Porsche websit

PASM, the electronic damping control system, is standard in the 911 Carrera S models and available as an option for the 911 Carrera models. It actively and continuously regulates damping forces according to driving style and road conditions. In addition, the suspension is lowered by 10 mm.
PASM has two modes, which can be selected using a separate button on the centre console: ‘Normal’, which is a blend of performance and comfort, and ‘Sport’ where the setup is much firmer.

The new PASM sports suspension is available as an option for the 911 Coupé models in conjunction with 20-inch wheels and Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) or Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus).
The ride height is 20 mm lower than with the standard suspension or 10 mm compared with the PASM suspension. The springs are harder and shorter, and the anti-roll bars on the front and rear axles are stiffer. The front spoiler lip has a more sporty geometry, the rear spoiler extends even further. These not only further reduce lift at the front axle, but also provide downforce at the rear axle for improved aerodynamics and even better performance.
Sounds like PASM sports suspension would be a must for me.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:40 AM
pratas is just really nicepratas is just really nicepratas is just really nicepratas is just really nicepratas is just really nice
Awesome - thanks for clearing that up pratas.
No problem.

By the way, when will your car arrive? I heard someone 's schedule been forward, but my delay 2 month

Old 02-18-2012, 11:21 AM
911dreamer is infamous around these parts
Didn't notice this on a sunny day drive - did you mostly notice the reflection in a dark showroom?

It kinda does have a hood.
Sorry, I was referencing the Panamera we have, assuming that it has the same chrono clock. Now I see there is a difference. Thanks...I can sleep tonight (and dream about getting my car!)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ahhh 997 GTS vs. 991 C2S