Ahhh 997 GTS vs. 991 C2S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 11:44 AM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
A point in favor of gts (besides price) is that it is the 997 perfected, while it will take several years for porsche to perfect the 991.

SC is a must with PDK.

If getting 991, get PDCC only if you track or are a very aggressive driver and plan to drive the car as such. In normal driving pdcc is not necessary, and you won't miss it at all.

As for sport pasm, it will stiffen the suspension beyond what some people might like, even the standard S suspension is stiff enough, plus with SPASM you'll have clearance issues with speed bumps. Not required in my opinion unless you track.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:59 AM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by aamersa
As for sport pasm, it will stiffen the suspension beyond what some people might like, even the standard S suspension is stiff enough, plus with SPASM you'll have clearance issues with speed bumps. Not required in my opinion unless you track.
I have sport PASM on my 2012 GTS and love it and highly recommend it. I too was concerned that it might be too stiff for daily driving, or too low, but it is not. I think it is the perfect setup, and much better than the regular PASM I had on my previous two 997.1 S cars.

I can't comment on what it is like on a 991.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:34 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !

If getting 991, get PDCC only if you track or are a very aggressive driver and plan to drive the car as such. In normal driving pdcc is not necessary, and you won't miss it at all.

Yet everyone says go for an "S" over the base for performance. Then with your logic the base should be enough.

The one substantial performance option for the "S" is PDCC.

and people are giving advice to get PSE which does nothing for performance and skip the best performance option the car offers.

Track or no track the PDCC will do more for you than PDK or PSE. When the car rolls in a turn you are going to ease up on the throttle, PDK or not; then or next time your on that turn.

With PDCC your going to be planted and your going to be going to throttle sooner. Why not go for the best performance the car can give.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:47 PM
    aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
    Originally Posted by buckwheat986
    Yet everyone says go for an "S" over the base for performance. Then with your logic the base should be enough.

The one substantial performance option for the "S" is PDCC.

and people are giving advice to get PSE which does nothing for performance and skip the best performance option the car offers.

Track or no track the PDCC will do more for you than PDK or PSE. When the car rolls in a turn you are going to ease up on the throttle, PDK or not; then or next time your on that turn.

With PDCC your going to be planted and your going to be going to throttle sooner. Why not go for the best performance the car can give.
    PDCC is available as an option only on both the S and the base, so this is not part of the S vs base debate.

My point on PDCC is that you will never feel its absence in city driving so it will be a highly under utilized performance option for over 90% of drivers. Sure it will likely do wonders on a track, hence the 7:40 lap time.

PSE may not add any hp, but adds to daily driving enjoyment particularly with the new sound symposer getting you more sound in the cabin.

PDK makes a big difference, you can shift like a professional driver even if you're not one.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:04 PM
    buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
    PDCC is available as an option only on both the S and the base, so this is not part of the S vs base debate.

My point on PDCC is that you will never feel its absence in city driving so it will be a highly under utilized performance option for over 90% of drivers. Sure it will likely do wonders on a track, hence the 7:40 lap time.

PSE may not add any hp, but adds to daily driving enjoyment particularly with the new sound symposer getting you more sound in the cabin.

PDK makes a big difference, you can shift like a professional driver even if you're not one.
    I know it's on the "S" only...porsche is not stupid...you want the best stuff buy the top line model.

Where I am coming from is your point about the city driving... you wont miss the PDCC but then why not say you don't need the "S" model. The "S" could be under utilized by maybe the same 90%.

IMHO the PDCC will be one of the most sought after options for buyers who want to buy used. It takes the "S" to the next level.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:07 PM
    Originally Posted by GS997S
    I have sport PASM on my 2012 GTS and love it and highly recommend it. I too was concerned that it might be too stiff for daily driving, or too low, but it is not. I think it is the perfect setup, and much better than the regular PASM I had on my previous two 997.1 S cars.

I can't comment on what it is like on a 991.
    I agree with you..PASM sports is a great option to have.

I am sure it is just as good on the 991 and with PDCC is a killer suspension system.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:17 PM
    fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
    Originally Posted by EricP
    yeah I'm not too hip on that lip - I may be swapping mine out with a non-PASM lip. Which can be done. I've looked into that one.
    Based on that same pic, I was a bit hesitant on the look of my ordered PASM Sport lip/splitter thing. (Was afraid that it would look a bit like a goatee.) But I saw one in person today and it looks much better in real life. It was parked next to a regular PASM lip car and the visual difference wasn't stark.

On the topic of height, PASM Sport looks good and not ridiculously low. Pretty good ground clearance still.

On handling, I drove a regular PASM in Sport Plus mode and thougt the ride was still great on regular roads. Even firmed up, a more comfortable ride than my non-PASM 997.1, I thought. So I am looking forward to my PASM Sport -20.

Last edited by fbroen; 02-18-2012 at 02:19 PM.
    Old 02-18-2012, 02:19 PM
    Originally Posted by buckwheat986
    I know it's on the "S" only...porsche is not stupid...you want the best stuff buy the top line model.

With the 3.4 Carrera proving to be all the sportscar you'll probably ever need thanks to its flexible engine, compliant ride and willingness to entertain, the 3.8-litre Carrera S could be viewed as the decadent choice. That said, the extra torque (440Nm against 400) is nice to have, and the engine note is deeper and more urgent in tone than the sweeter-sounding 3.4 lump.
    The above quote from a review would be a reason to get an S, not PDCC. But I agree with your point and would go further and say that all performance cars are extremely under utilized by 90% of drivers in DD conditions.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:27 PM
    fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
    I believe there is a comfort element to the PDCC, as well as performance. Soft antirollbars, when car not pushed, would render a more compliant ride versus a constantly stiffer traditional setup, it seems to me? Especially on a PASM Sport which otherwise would have stiffer roll bars than a regular PASM.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:01 PM
    NSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really nice
    Originally Posted by EricP
    agreed here.

See below - these are SpikeP's car pics. I know for a fact that he has an S car with PASM. So he has the full battery of drop. This is the lowest factory slam you can get. Also interesting to note that SPIKEP has 5mm spacers on this car.

How cool is this?:
    Disclaimer: I haven't read the entire discussion on this thread.

I will say I am pleasantly surprised and pleased I went with the SPASM! The car is very refined and planted. Not jittery or jarring by any means (my 996 tt had pss9's) and the 991 is soooo much more confidence inspiring without a hint of compromise in comfort even in sport mode! I understand the concerns of the front spoiler on lighter colored cars, but will defer my opinion till I see one in person. I think the spoiler looks appropriately aggressive and blends in well with the front bumper on a darker car like mine.
    If anyone decides to go with the SPASM I would add the 5mm spacers as well. I can't overemphasize how happy I am with this setup !
    On another note, a friend that has a lot of track experience in his 997 GT3 pushed my car hard in a turn and was convinced the 991 would out corner his GT3. His words not mine. No offense intended to GT3 owners. My friend to be honest scared the s**t out of me during this maneuver ( although he was in total control, and not being reckless). My point is I see no need for the PDCC in my case as I don't have skills or need to push my 991 beyond the limits of my current setup.
    Sorry for the ramble, but I hope it helps someone decide on the options that would meet their needs when ordering a 991...!

Old 02-18-2012, 04:15 PM
    Banned
    speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
    Originally Posted by Manifold
    I wouldn't say it's a no brainer. Some people will prefer the GTS for legitimate reasons.
    It's a no brainer alright. Well certainly for the majority of new or near new car buyers that would see and drive the two. And having no 911 in the stable at all it the exercise becomes even more obvious/easier. The used GTS would effectively need to be huge g$ft to take it in favour of a brand new 991S. 90 vs 114 doesn't cut it. And for all of the GTS's brilliance in being the best of the 997/S model line up, its performance is clearly trumped by 991. So its performance becomes moot. Then you have the issue of buying an old model when the new model has just begun its 7 year cycle. As i said..no brainer, plus the gts would really need to be a gift, which at 96 it's a heck of a long way off from being where it needs to be imho.

Originally Posted by mostlyjames
    This is my build:

Total Price* $114,250

How does this look? I'm wondering if I really need the SC, since the 991s already come with a sport button. And I don't plan on using the launch control that often. Also, how does the standard black look? I've only seen Basalt Black.
    Good. And definitely take the SC. If you don't you'll regret it at one point. As far as blacks go the straight black gives the better look but it's harder to maintain than the basalt. Ive owned two basalt now and both were pretty good whereas the non-metallic can show the scratches and swirls if it's not carefully washed. Fwiw you need a wool mitten and a few separate chamois anyway even if its basalt.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:35 PM
    Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
    Originally Posted by speed21
    It's a no brainer alright. Well certainly for the majority of new or near new car buyers that would see and drive the two. And having no 911 in the stable at all it the exercise becomes even more obvious/easier. The used GTS would effectively need to be huge g$ft to take it in favour of a brand new 991S. 90 vs 114 doesn't cut it. And for all of the GTS's brilliance in being the best of the 997/S model line up, its performance is clearly trumped by 991. So its performance becomes moot. Then you have the issue of buying an old model when the new model has just begun its 7 year cycle. As i said..no brainer, plus the gts would really need to be a gift, which at 96 it's a heck of a long way off from being where it needs to be imho.
    Majority, that's the key word. He needs to do enough test driving to determine whether he falls in the majority or minority. It's a matter of what he prefers, not what a group of people prefer.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:07 PM
    Banned
    speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
    Originally Posted by Manifold
    Majority, that's the key word. He needs to do enough test driving to determine whether he falls in the majority or minority. It's a matter of what he prefers, not what a group of people prefer.
    Manifold when a buyer comes in to buy a particular car and leaves without buying it, speaking more favourably about the "other car" it's a foregone conclusion the only obstacle is the slightly extra $. He's since posted his 991 build spec..... I imagine he didn't do that to torture himself.

The rest is history... i.e. the remaining 997 group opining why the older car is still worth considering. The only "legitimate" reason would be a very substantial price drop or, the need for nostalgia...but then this is not an air cooled engine. Btw way you may notice my sig...997tt? I'm on your team with the 997 but I'm not going to kid myself (no offence). I guess if my 997tt was a recently purchased 2012 i may have a go.....but for me, in reality i don't think so. I'm not like that The GTS will become less significant from here on end....as was the case with the special 996 anniversary 911.....dead in the shed the moment 997S's appeared along with it's value and appeal which fell off a cliff.

PS. And on the need to go back and do "more test driving"? C'mon. OP arrived at the same logical conclusion as Porsches R and D team made when they stepped away from 991 and said job well done. So, even if the OP went back and test drove the pants off the GTS it would still be an exercise in futility. Or, are you saying Porsche failed and made the 991 worse? And all the Journo's and boffins that have since drove 991 are off the mark?... The 997 will always be a great car but without a very substantial price drop, and i mean substantial, there wouldn't be any sound logic buying it over a 991S.

I can understand your feelings having just parted with serious hard earned for a 2012 997 car that is rapidly becoming yesterdays news...along with its value. Mind you mine is hardly appreciating in appeal and value either if that's of any consolation. However, we all make our choices and ultimately must take responsibility at one point.

Last edited by speed21; 02-18-2012 at 06:16 PM.
    Old 02-18-2012, 05:55 PM
    PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
    I too would get the 991. Wait a bit if you need to. It handles better nd is much nicer on the inside. One down side are the possible first year model problems. I say go for the 991.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:23 PM
    Originally Posted by SpikeP
    Disclaimer: I haven't read the entire discussion on this thread.

I will say I am pleasantly surprised and pleased I went with the SPASM! The car is very refined and planted. Not jittery or jarring by any means (my 996 tt had pss9's) and the 991 is soooo much more confidence inspiring without a hint of compromise in comfort even in sport mode! I understand the concerns of the front spoiler on lighter colored cars, but will defer my opinion till I see one in person. I think the spoiler looks appropriately aggressive and blends in well with the front bumper on a darker car like mine.
    If anyone decides to go with the SPASM I would add the 5mm spacers as well. I can't overemphasize how happy I am with this setup !
    On another note, a friend that has a lot of track experience in his 997 GT3 pushed my car hard in a turn and was convinced the 991 would out corner his GT3. His words not mine. No offense intended to GT3 owners. My friend to be honest scared the s**t out of me during this maneuver ( although he was in total control, and not being reckless). My point is I see no need for the PDCC in my case as I don't have skills or need to push my 991 beyond the limits of my current setup.
    Sorry for the ramble, but I hope it helps someone decide on the options that would meet their needs when ordering a 991...!
    thanks for the update and feedback on the PASM sports

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ahhh 997 GTS vs. 991 C2S