Ahhh 997 GTS vs. 991 C2S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mostlyjames
Thanks for all of your input so far guys. I talked to my dealer again today, and they are unwilling to bring down the price of the 997 GTS down anymore, which is at $96,000. I've driven both the 997 and the 991 back to back many times and even though I do like the 991 more, I wouldn't mind driving the 997 for a few years IF the price was right.

As I said before, I will be leasing the car and with the GTS at $96,000, the monthly payment was only $200 different. With that kind of pricing, I am just going to order a 991 in a few months when my S65's lease is up.
What is a fair price for the GTS? This will be my first Porsche and I don't know anything about the used market for these cars.

It seems like the $96,000 price for the GTS is kind of ridiculous, my dealer insisted that he was only going to be making like $4,000 with that deal...

How much do 997 turbos go for these days? I thought they went for sticker.
Looks like you've got it figured. 96k is too exxy for that car at this stage with an entirely new platform available and other better 997 models such as TT available for those $. I also think the special model factor has lost a lot of weight with the newer car as well. GL.

Originally Posted by buckwheat986
Speed,

I only responded to what I read in your posts.

Sorry if I have misread them but I think your message is pretty clear. Maybe not. Anyway enjoy your Porsche.
I think you did....but no worries . The only thing that may have been cryptic was the paying too much for a runout which in reality will not offset the huge depreciation the car will see over the next 12 months. Anyway....i'll be enjoying my 997tt meantime awaiting 991tt. That you can be sure of.

Your dealer not moving on the prices speaks volumes IMO.

You cant go wrong with either car.

If leasing I don't think the PDCC is as important and option.
I suspect the dealer is simply unable to move on the price due to what it owes. Dealers take ownership of new car stock from the importer/distributor the moment they sign for the car as their stock. So unless the Dealer has a kickback or incentive arrangement in place from the importer which allows them to offload stock at cost or under then the ownership of any loss stays with the dealer. How it works for e.g is if if the car owes say 100 and list is 130 and they end up having to take 100 because thats all the market will pay then the importer will give the dealer an agreed figure back, often based on the ultimate sale price. This is very common during sale times or when run outs need to be cleared. It provides the environment for the importer to shift stock while allowing the dealer to maintain an acceptable level of profitability for services rendered.

The price of 96k doesn't reflect a good deal (imho) at this point in time given you can buy the new 991S for not a great deal more. As this car is S/H they either took it as a trade at a price or, it is a very well worn demo which still owes them a set figure. If they are stuck on 96 then evidently the importer is not going to provide a kickback to the dealer for that car. The dealer may well opt to hold their price at the moment due to delivery times on the new car as well as it being a special model however in todays reality the special model factor doesn't really amount to a great deal in a monetary sense when you weigh in all the factors.

So yes as a buyer you can go wrong on that car at that price imho. The dealer no doubt has the best chance of recovery being an official Porsche dealer in being able to sell the car on into the market. But the buyer won't have that same luxury the moment he drives that car off the floor.

Last edited by speed21; 02-18-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:21 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by EricP
I had a waffle for breakfast.

Gotta luv it.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:23 PM
mostlyjames is infamous around these parts
What is a fair price for the GTS then? I can't seem to find a good comparison online anywhere.

I did like the sound of the 991 much more than the GTS though . This is so hard.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:35 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
What is a fair price for the GTS then? I can't seem to find a good comparison online anywhere.

I did like the sound of the 991 much more than the GTS though . This is so hard.
Check cars.com, autotrader.com, Edmund's TMV, and whatever else Google turns up. With a half hour of internet research, you can get a good handle on the cost aspect.

And if you're open to a 997, I suggest not limiting yourself to the GTS. There are lots of variants and model years, and they're all good. A few months ago I drove a CPO base 997 in great shape with some nice options for around $42K. If I was starting from scratch, I could buy that car and be very satisfied.

If you're having a hard time deciding, as already suggested, take your time and enjoy the hunt. You can get the 991 whenever you want, and there are still plenty of 997s available. For that matter, the 996 isn't too shabby either.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:57 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute

James - when you go to bed tonight, imagine in your head that you bought one or the other and consider if you are comfortable or regretful with that decision.

Then flip the car in your mind and think about that scenario.

Which is the more satisfying, monetarily, whatever. What decision makes you the most comfortable.

Sounds hokey but you are facing a tough dilemma. Both have their appeal. You gotta figure out where your soul is on this one. Because you definitely seem to prefer the 991 if all else was equal ($$). But the financial saving on the GTS is nice too.

Just to stir your brain a little, I've always liked this photo of a platinum silver GTS:

Attached Images  
Old 02-18-2012, 10:06 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Manifold
For that matter, the 996 isn't too shabby either.
Dude is considering buying a $114k Porsche. I'm not quite sure a $30k 996 with fried egg headlamps is gonna leave him with that warm fuzzy..

j/k

Attached Images  
Old 02-18-2012, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by EricP
James - when you go to bed tonight, imagine in your head that you bought one or the other and consider if you are comfortable or regretful with that decision.

Then flip the car in your mind and think about that scenario.

Which is the more satisfying, monetarily, whatever. What decision makes you the most comfortable.

Sounds hokey but you are facing a tough dilemma. Both have their appeal. You gotta figure out where your soul is on this one. Because you definitely seem to prefer the 991 if all else was equal ($$). But the financial saving on the GTS is nice too.

Just to stir your brain a little, I've always liked this photo of a platinum silver GTS:
It is a tough dilemma I know I would go with the GTS now if it was the right price. I just don't know how to bring down the price since they were soooo serious about not being able to go down any further. I just left telling them I didn't feel comfortable buying the GTS at that price, so if I don't hear from them with a ridiculous price that I won't be able to refuse, I'll just place an order for the 991 in a few months for September delivery. I'll just have to live with my four-door 620 hp monster until then .

This is the car... (it kept uploading it upside down for some reason)

Attached Images  

Last edited by mostlyjames; 02-18-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:41 PM
Banned

It sounds 20K too heavy imo. Forgetting about what it may be worth today (assumed market price), as nice as it is the car is going to take a very big beating at one point not too far down the track because essentially it's just an upsec'd 997s which is secondary in performance to a 991, along with ageing. If the fire is burning in your pocket a good used TT at same or less dollars is a much safer bet imo. It has the wide body, the turbo cred and most options that car has anyway and will hold its desirability longer. The dealer is relying purely on the novelty factor of that particular car along with delivery times of the new 991 to recover their outlay therefore hope someone impatient will come in and shift the liability for them.

Last edited by speed21; 02-18-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:29 AM
gleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to behold
The likely reason why e dealer won't budge is that he will make more money selling you the 991 tha. The GTS. It sou ds like you tipped your hand with him. If you want the GTS, tell him you are looking nationally for I and you might be surprised on the price.

With that said, get the 991!

Old 02-19-2012, 04:09 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by gleek48
The likely reason why e dealer won't budge is that he will make more money selling you the 991 tha. The GTS. It sou ds like you tipped your hand with him. If you want the GTS, tell him you are looking nationally for I and you might be surprised on the price.

With that said, get the 991!
Absolutely!

The dealer would have identified the sale prospects to OP in both cars (as a good salesmen does) and is in a no lose situation either way. However, if the dealer can find a pink one to remove that high cost runout off their hands they'd be sacrificing the bigger earn on the 991 and with a huge sigh of relief. Recovering 96 large would be an infinitely better proposition than moving any 991....no question. After all, the new cars will fall off the floor. Supply is always a problem for the first 12 months until all the immediate must have buyers are resolved so if you can shift old cars on the back of impatience in between time it can make for good/safe business.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:24 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21
It sounds 20K too heavy imo. Forgetting about what it may be worth today (assumed market price), as nice as it is the car is going to take a very big beating at one point not too far down the track because essentially it's just an upsec'd 997s which is secondary in performance to a 991, along with ageing. If the fire is burning in your pocket a good used TT at same or less dollars is a much safer bet imo. It has the wide body, the turbo cred and most options that car has anyway and will hold its desirability longer. The dealer is relying purely on the novelty factor of that particular car along with delivery times of the new 991 to recover their outlay therefore hope someone impatient will come in and shift the liability for them.
20k? That's a good one.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:37 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
I think your about 5k away from a decent price on the GTS. If you can get it down go for it, if not go lease another 997 for two years and come back to the 991.

The bugs will be worked out and you will have more info from people who have long time use of the car.

There is no rush to move into the 991. Why pay a premium. Also, in Philly should you also consider a C4S?

Old 02-19-2012, 12:41 PM
I think your about 5k away from a decent price on the GTS. If you can get it down go for it, if not go lease another 997 for two years and come back to the 991.

The bugs will be worked out and you will have more info from people who have long time use of the car.

There is no rush to move into the 991. Why pay a premium. Also, in Philly should you also consider a C4S?
I guess I'll try to bring it down again. So $91,000 is pretty good? I don't know if I really need a C4S. I have an Audi A4 as my snow/rain car and when it does snow a lot, I just take the subway .

Old 02-19-2012, 12:53 PM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
I guess I'll try to bring it down again. So $91,000 is pretty good? I don't know if I really need a C4S. I have an Audi A4 as my snow/rain car and when it does snow a lot, I just take the subway .
When evaluating price you should also look in to what options you get standard on the GTS vs what you would have to pay for them on the 991. PSE comes to mind, it is standard on the GTS.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by aamersa
When evaluating price you should also look in to what options you get standard on the GTS vs what you would have to pay for them on the 991. PSE comes to mind, it is standard on the GTS.
I believe it is.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ahhh 997 GTS vs. 991 C2S