Ahhh 997 GTS vs. 991 C2S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 01:26 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Video Suspension is all fine and dandy but what about the new engine??

Great discussion on suspension and lips sizes (lips do matter) but I am missing that discussion on what the new 3.4 l engine is going to look like, if they have been build - again - with plastic coolant pipes or if the RMS and IMS and BFS and GMS and other alphabets soups is going to blow out after 4 years of normal street use. Has anybody actually looked at the engine, how it is build, what materials seem to have been used and little details like that?? I must have been nodding off..
It's a new engine, unproven, unknown, there is a - reasonably new - gearbox, there is a new engine suspension system. Porsche has not been to consistent with making sure the car - from the first year onwards - has the issues worked out. Where are all the folks that have been bitten before buying a 1st year car??

Old 02-19-2012, 02:15 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
20k? That's a good one.
I say 20 because when you look at your suggested 91, there simply isn't enough of a relative difference in pricing between it and the new car. I mean a saving of 24k for a car that is a superseded platform doesn't represent good value given the likely drop it will see in the next 12 months. And, at 91K, essentially you paying for a list of options on an old car that won't be worth much more than a ******* a year from now. And, when you look at the GTS against a s/h turbo it only gets worse. It all kinda makes the new car look too cheap imo.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:36 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21
I say 20 because when you look at your suggested 91, there simply isn't enough of a relative difference in pricing between it and the new car. I mean a saving of 24k for a car that is a superseded platform doesn't represent good value given the likely drop it will see in the next 12 months. And, at 91K, essentially you paying for a list of options on an old car that won't be worth much more than a ******* a year from now. And, when you look at the GTS against a s/h turbo it only gets worse. It all kinda makes the new car look too cheap imo.

Your remarks like it won't be worth a ******* show how little you know of the US used market and the Porsche market in particular.

Just throw out any number. and pretend you know something. Hilarious.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:49 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !

I suspect the dealer is simply unable to move on the price due to what it owes. Dealers take ownership of new car stock from the importer/distributor the moment they sign for the car as their stock. So unless the Dealer has a kickback or incentive arrangement in place from the importer which allows them to offload stock at cost or under then the ownership of any loss stays with the dealer. How it works for e.g is if if the car owes say 100 and list is 130 and they end up having to take 100 because thats all the market will pay then the importer will give the dealer an agreed figure back, often based on the ultimate sale price. This is very common during sale times or when run outs need to be cleared. It provides the environment for the importer to shift stock while allowing the dealer to maintain an acceptable level of profitability for services rendered.

This is flawed also....we are talking of a used car here. Dealers make money by moving used cars and they dont throw away good deals. But they don't give cars away either. They probable made their money on this car already when it was traded in or at auction. You think he paid more than 96K for a used GTS. Ridiculous.

The dealer is not giving this car away for 76K. They know the market. And the buyer can buy or walk.

Try to get it down to 91K and get good lease terms. If not, walk.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:00 PM
mostlyjames is infamous around these parts
This is flawed also....we are talking of a used car here. Dealers make money by moving used cars and they dont throw away good deals. But they don't give cars away either. They probable made their money on this car already when it was traded in or at auction. You think he paid more than 96K for a used GTS. Ridiculous.

The dealer is not giving this car away for 76K. They know the market. And the buyer can buy or walk.

Going to e-mail the dealer on Monday. Anyway, how is Tubi exhaust on the 997? I had it on my Bentley and it wasn't so great...

Old 02-19-2012, 03:22 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Your remarks like it won't be worth a ******* show how little you know of the US used market and the Porsche market in particular.

Just throw out any number. and pretend you know something. Hilarious.
Once again you fail to see the point and seek to get narky. The mindset in the market will always remain the same regardless of country as will the direction of prices. Love to take a snapshot 1 year out. I know who will be eating their words.

Never said the dealer would take 76 but In terms of todays relativity that's the price. The price being currently asked would be applicable if there was no 991. The problem is that there is.

Last edited by speed21; 02-19-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:31 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by mostlyjames
Going to e-mail the dealer on Monday. Anyway, how is Tubi exhaust on the 997? I had it on my Bentley and it wasn't so great...
OP think of it this way. Go back and ask yourself why you drove out of that dealership without taking the car you went in there for. The human is the only species on the planet that questions his own instinct and because of that on many an occassion humans wind up with regrets....even death. You have the answer. Now it all comes down to whether you can swing the new car or not, and if you are prepared to wait. As i (tried to ) point out to buckwheat, in relative $ terms, mindful a new car IS out, and available for purchase, it changes the dynamic substantially. The price they appear to be asking for the GTS appears applicable to a pre 991 market. Just saying.....

Old 02-19-2012, 03:35 PM
Once again you fail to see the point and seek to get narky. The mindset in the market will always remain the same regardless of country as will the direction of prices. Love to take a snapshot 1 year out. I know who will be eating their words.

Never said the dealer would take 76 but In terms of todays relativity that's the price. The price being currently asked would be applicable if there was no 991. The problem is that there is.
Thats your price. Not the price. THe price is 96K.

You want to talk about prices and how they have increased in the used porsche world over the past year. Everyone knew the 991 is coming out. Why did they rise?

Lets just forget the facts and go with your speculation. Every 997 is now worth 20K less due to the 991. Priceless.

Enough...

Old 02-19-2012, 03:37 PM
Banned
Thats your price. Not the price. THe price is 96K.

You want to talk about prices and how they have increased in the used porsche world over the past year. Everyone knew the 991 is coming out. Why did they rise?

Lets just forget the facts and go with your speculation. Every 997 is now worth 20K less due to the 991. Priceless.

Enough...
The increased price of a newer model hasn't made a used model of the previous vintage worth any more. I use the value of my own car as a text book case. Btw have you ever owned a dealership?

Old 02-19-2012, 03:45 PM
To the OP..

do a search on cars dot com for some eye opening info. Search all of US for GTS's. (non 4's)

there is one in long island that is slightly cheaper (95K) and with less miles. All the rest are asking more than your price.

Except of course the one scam posting and the one thats damaged.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:45 PM
Why are Porsche dealers so cryptic? They insisted that they couldn't go down anymore than $96,000. (Even brought the manager out to tell me the same thing). Hopefully they'll change their mind, because I would love to get the GTS for around $90,000. Or maybe I'll try a different dealer.

I'm on my seventh AMG car and the dealer hasn't tried to trick me once!

Old 02-19-2012, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by mostlyjames
Why are Porsche dealers so cryptic? They insisted that they couldn't go down anymore than $96,000. (Even brought the manager out to tell me the same thing). Hopefully they'll change their mind, because I would love to get the GTS for around $90,000. Or maybe I'll try a different dealer.

I'm on my seventh AMG car and the dealer hasn't tried to trick me once!
After looking at cars dot com for a while I think that 90-91K is the target price and is reasonable on your part.

The one in long island is white listed at 95k....probable can get if for around 91-92K.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:58 PM
After looking at cars dot com for a while I think that 90-91K is the target price and is reasonable on your part.

The one in long island is white listed at 95k....probable can get if for around 91-92K.
Thanks buckwheat986 and speed21. I will keep you guys posted on my decision! Hopefully I can get this GTS for a few years and get a 991 TT .

Old 02-19-2012, 04:14 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
mostlyjames,

I don't know your finances, but your car history (seven AMGs!) suggests that you can get whatever you want. If so, you may want to just go for the 991 since you like it better, and the difference in price between the GTS and 991 is only about $20K. Plus, with the 991, you can order exactly as you want.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:21 PM
Banned

Agree the price for this car is applicable on todays market where the impact of the 991 has yet to be realised. However, take a snapshot one year from now and it will be a totally different story. The 991 purchased today even at list will be in far better shape financially . So, it comes down to whether op can swing the extra $. If he can't, and 96 is his ceiling then this car is a proposition if not an expensive one, in terms of relativity regarding what is in store in the not so distant future. As the saying goes... buy in haste...repent at your own leasure . The only saving grace to the excercise is the car is a great drive.....although that principle applies to pretty well all Porsches. I still maintain if 96 is "ceiling" then to overlook other used tt opportunities is a little crazy given the performance difference and all round cred.

OP best of luck. Great chatting.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ahhh 997 GTS vs. 991 C2S