Ahhh 997 GTS vs. 991 C2S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 04:48 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sapster
That's not the case in the US. Insurers look at the 'model year' of the car, not the year of manufacture.
Not sure how it works in US but out here the financial institutions and insurers will always value the car off the year of manufacture. There is always the window of opportunity when the car is new for the dealers to get around that though. I know over here a late 011 build and complied 012 car can legitimately be sold by Porsche as an 012 however when that same car comes back in as a trade or is sold second hand the problem becomes definite particularly with insurance and finance insitutions and the value of the car is always recognised off the year of build. I'm sure those same types of problems would exist your way.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:51 PM
mostlyjames is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by speed21
Black/black is the pick but Dark Blue is still very nice. The 2012 is in the right calender year too and is brand new. I assume it's a late 2011 build though although 2012 compliance is better than the 2011 which would be an 011/011. The financial institutions and insurers will recognise the cars vintage as the year of manufacture though. What was the GTS4's original list price? That may give an indicator of where you may be able to take it.
List MSRP is $124,780. Any thoughts on a good price? How much would YOU buy it for ? I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy this car this weekend...

Old 02-22-2012, 04:59 PM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by speed21
Not sure how it works in US but out here the financial institutions and insurers will always value the car off the year of manufacture. There is always the window of opportunity when the car is new for the dealers to get around that though. I know over here a late 011 build and complied 012 car can legitimately be sold by Porsche as an 012 however when that same car comes back in as a trade or is sold second hand the problem becomes definite particularly with insurance and finance insitutions and the value of the car is always recognised off the year of build. I'm sure those same types of problems would exist your way.
In the US the model year of the car stays with the car from the cradle to the grave. If it is initially given a Vehicle Identification Number and sold as a 2012, a 2012 it stays.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:15 PM
warnica is infamous around these parts
Anyone with a new GTS now will go a week and then wish they had the latest and greatest. Just the way it is.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:19 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by warnica
Anyone with a new GTS now will go a week and then wish they had the latest and greatest. Just the way it is.
Everyone is different but I would agree with this statement and would never get the GTS when it's that close in price to a 991. My buddy who test drove with me is about to dump his 09 997 TT to get a 991 CS2. He talks about it daily.

Last edited by EricP; 02-22-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by EricP
Everyone is different but I would agree with this statement and would never get the GTS when it's that close in price to a 991. My buddy who test drove with me is about to dump his 09 997 TT to get a 991 CS2. He talks about it daily.
I guess the difference in price is going to be around $20k. Which would only be a couple of hundred dollars per month in the leasing price. Then again, I'm not really worried about the resale price, because I'm only leasing the car.

Damn... Both cars have Pros/Cons I guess. I like the design of the 997 more, but the sound of the 991 with Sport Exhaust was intoxicating ... I am so confused...

Old 02-22-2012, 06:09 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mostlyjames
I guess the difference in price is going to be around $20k. Which would only be a couple of hundred dollars per month in the leasing price. Then again, I'm not really worried about the resale price, because I'm only leasing the car.

Damn... Both cars have Pros/Cons I guess. I like the design of the 997 more, but the sound of the 991 with Sport Exhaust was intoxicating ... I am so confused...
Good luck - I can honestly say I hate that dilemma - but there are worst choices to have to make

Old 02-22-2012, 06:34 PM
Good luck - I can honestly say I hate that dilemma - but there are worst choices to have to make
When do you get your 991 EricP? Oh man I love the espresso leather .

Old 02-22-2012, 06:39 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !

Go with your gut. Resale is also very relevant where a residual is involved....don't ever underestimate the unknown. It's always best to have a small residual and a higher payment over a shorter duration.

The GTS represents a very nice package tho.....but that 991...very current and will remain that way for 7 years....and no matter which way you slice it is ultimately the better drive and look.

I find once the rush has gone from the initial purchase, and your familiarity with the car is fully established you will tend to analyse your decision with a clearer head.

You will have up to 7 years to analyse this decision.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:00 PM
When do you get your 991 EricP? Oh man I love the espresso leather .
Tomorrow or Friday - I got full espresso with stitching on everything front and rear (except vents). I'll take a ****-ton of digital SLR photos to post.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:01 PM
Tomorrow or Friday - I got full espresso with stitching on everything front and rear (except vents). I'll take a ****-ton of digital SLR photos to post.
yes please

Last edited by mostlyjames; 02-22-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by Galactus
I tried to sell a customer a pristine Silver/Tan 2011 997 S PDK with 910 miles on it for only $89,000...customer loved the car until he saw we had a new 991 demo available. He then asked for a ride in the new car which I gave him. Then his words to me after we got back to the dealership "How could I possibly buy a 997 after driving this new car?"..Indeed. I love the 997, but the new 991 S is something else entirely. The best car I have ever driven, and I have driven a lot of great cars....
Can you PM me?

Old 02-23-2012, 04:28 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Galactus
I tried to sell a customer a pristine Silver/Tan 2011 997 S PDK with 910 miles on it for only $89,000...customer loved the car until he saw we had a new 991 demo available. He then asked for a ride in the new car which I gave him. Then his words to me after we got back to the dealership "How could I possibly buy a 997 after driving this new car?"..Indeed. I love the 997, but the new 991 S is something else entirely. The best car I have ever driven, and I have driven a lot of great cars....
Logical conclusion.

The 2011 997S silver tan at 89K makes the 011 black/black GTS look an absolute bargain at 96K when you look at what the GTS represents with the wide body and option list. There is a lot of extra car for very little money....and a given quantity being an exclusive model VS just an optioned up S.

Just saying......

Old 02-25-2012, 09:45 PM
klondike_kat is infamous around these parts
What about the Porsche resid and money factor?

I'm not sure I follow all the concern over the future value of the 2011 GTS if the OP is leasing. What any of us perceive the future value to be is irrelevant to the lease, it's what Porsche says the residual will be that is important, is it not?

Of course the sales price is just as important as is the money factor. You can't have a 'which is a better deal' discussion without the residual and money factor numbers if OP is going to lease. If Porsche has set a high residual for the 2011 GTS, and perhaps a lower money factor to get them moving, it could very well be a better deal than the 991. Also need to know the lease term.

Sorry if I missed something along the way, I only saw the sales price and guesses at depreciation being discussed.

Dealers and the market are funny. I offered $85k on a 2009 SL63 recently (low miles, all options including performance pack). Dealer wouldn't go lower than $90k on a 3 year old car with a new model release imminent, granted the original sticker was over $150k.. Plus he's been sitting on the car since last July (per CarFax). I guess he's holding out for the convertible season, who knows, I'm assuming he's into the trade for enough that he won't sell it to me at $85k. I pressed the point and he stood firm, if he was going to move he would have done it.

OP, are you more concerned about the best deal or the best vehicle? Based on your current vehicle stable, I'm assuming you aren't counting pennies so spec out a 991. I don't know how long the 991 build times are, if you need a P-car right away, get something short term from Leasetrader.com or the like.

Are you shopping at Porsche of the Main Line in Newtown Square?

Old 02-25-2012, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by klondike_kat
I'm not sure I follow all the concern over the future value of the 2011 GTS if the OP is leasing. What any of us perceive the future value to be is irrelevant to the lease, it's what Porsche says the residual will be that is important, is it not?

Of course the sales price is just as important as is the money factor. You can't have a 'which is a better deal' discussion without the residual and money factor numbers if OP is going to lease. If Porsche has set a high residual for the 2011 GTS, and perhaps a lower money factor to get them moving, it could very well be a better deal than the 991. Also need to know the lease term.

Sorry if I missed something along the way, I only saw the sales price and guesses at depreciation being discussed.

Dealers and the market are funny. I offered $85k on a 2009 SL63 recently (low miles, all options including performance pack). Dealer wouldn't go lower than $90k on a 3 year old car with a new model release imminent, granted the original sticker was over $150k.. Plus he's been sitting on the car since last July (per CarFax). I guess he's holding out for the convertible season, who knows, I'm assuming he's into the trade for enough that he won't sell it to me at $85k. I pressed the point and he stood firm, if he was going to move he would have done it.

OP, are you more concerned about the best deal or the best vehicle? Based on your current vehicle stable, I'm assuming you aren't counting pennies so spec out a 991. I don't know how long the 991 build times are, if you need a P-car right away, get something short term from Leasetrader.com or the like.

Are you shopping at Porsche of the Main Line in Newtown Square?
Hi klondike_kat,

I've compared the lease rates for both cars, a 2011 997 GTS 2 (Demo - 6000 miles) and a 991 built to my specs (around $115k), and the price difference was only $200 per month. I think the residual for the 991 was significantly higher than the GTS and for some reason my dealer was firm with the price of the GTS at $96k. I found a brand new 2012 GTS 4 at a dealership in New York for $100k, so the dilemma is now between this GTS and ordering a new 991.

I've never owned a 911 and had the opportunity to first drive one when my brother got a 2012 997 TT couple months ago. It was an eye opening experience. I've had a "supercar" (ferrari F430) before, but the 997 TT was a completely new/better experience.

The only reason why I considered the GTS in the first place was because I thought I was going to get a GREAT deal, due to the new 991, but that wasn't the case. My head was telling me to order a 991 then, but for some reason, a part of me likes the GTS more than the 991. That's why I'm having such a problem choosing a car. Maybe I should ask for a 24 hour test drive... (Do they offer this? My Merc dealer gave me a SLS for a night once)

I'm shopping at Porsche Conshohocken Sorry for the long post.

Last edited by mostlyjames; 02-25-2012 at 10:04 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ahhh 997 GTS vs. 991 C2S