Ahhh 997 GTS vs. 991 C2S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 10:02 PM
mostlyjames is infamous around these parts
Also,

SL63's are AWESOME. I had a SL65 Black Series for six months until it became friends with a SEPTA bus...

Old 02-25-2012, 10:14 PM
klondike_kat is infamous around these parts
I have to ask then, why not the 997TT? Or better yes, a TTS? You won't have a 'new model introduction' depreciation hit for another year or two until they 991TT comes out and really, how much better could the future 991TT possibly be than the 997TS? The 1st time a TT dusts your 11 GTS or 12 991 C2 you'll be wishing you got the TT.

If you want to make sure the dealer is on the 'up and up' for your lease calculations, google 'carbuyingtips.com' and 'lease spreadsheet'. I haven't leased in long time but the last time I did the dealer was trying to flog me for a ridiculous money factor and I only caught it because of this spreadsheet. You can plug the spreadsheet into your laptop or iPad and confirm the numbers the dealer comes up with. Once upon a time www.carbuyingtips.com helped me immensely. I don't know if it's still up to date or applicable to higher end vehicles but there is some good basic advice on negotiating and leasing there.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:44 PM
To be honest... I just don't like the look of the wing on the TT. Thanks for the info I'll look into it .

Old 02-25-2012, 10:47 PM
warnica is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mostlyjames
Hi klondike_kat,

I've compared the lease rates for both cars, a 2011 997 GTS 2 (Demo - 6000 miles) and a 991 built to my specs (around $115k), and the price difference was only $200 per month. I think the residual for the 991 was significantly higher than the GTS and for some reason my dealer was firm with the price of the GTS at $96k. I found a brand new 2012 GTS 4 at a dealership in New York for $100k, so the dilemma is now between this GTS and ordering a new 991.

I've never owned a 911 and had the opportunity to first drive one when my brother got a 2012 997 TT couple months ago. It was an eye opening experience. I've had a "supercar" (ferrari F430) before, but the 997 TT was a completely new/better experience.

The only reason why I considered the GTS in the first place was because I thought I was going to get a GREAT deal, due to the new 991, but that wasn't the case. My head was telling me to order a 991 then, but for some reason, a part of me likes the GTS more than the 991. That's why I'm having such a problem choosing a car. Maybe I should ask for a 24 hour test drive... (Do they offer this? My Merc dealer gave me a SLS for a night once)

I'm shopping at Porsche Conshohocken Sorry for the long post.
It is not a great deal for the GTS if you spend your time wishing you had just gotten the 991, as I would.

Last edited by warnica; 02-25-2012 at 10:48 PM. Reason: add words
Old 02-26-2012, 07:25 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !

The only reason why I considered the GTS in the first place was because I thought I was going to get a GREAT deal, due to the new 991, but that wasn't the case. My head was telling me to order a 991 then, but for some reason, a part of me likes the GTS more than the 991. That's why I'm having such a problem choosing a car. Maybe I should ask for a 24 hour test drive... (Do they offer this? My Merc dealer gave me a SLS for a night once)

I'm shopping at Porsche Conshohocken Sorry for the long post.
James,

Nothing wrong with liking the GTS better. IMO the 991 is not the holy grail of 911's in terms of looks. The rear is so-so and the interior center console is hit or miss with some drivers.

Nothing wrong with it looks wise but nothing suggests its a better looking car than the 997. Its a personal decision.

Without PDCC on the 991 IMO the performances differences will be slight between the two models unless you are driving at 10/10 which is impossible to do on the street and hard to do at the track.

Some experiences drivers are raving about the 991 and thats great, but they have the talent to get serious performance out of the car. And they know what they had to do to deal with understeer with past model models and how easy it is to deal with understeer with the 991.

I pay no heed to people who suggest you will regret getting the 997 and will be thinking about the 991. You will be too busy exploring the 997 and what it takes to get the max performance out of the car with your skill being the key factor.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:55 AM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
You won't regret buying the 997 IF you stop looking at the 991 and if you stop reading about it. The 991 is better in many ways. Period. But if the 997 works for you then get the 997.

I recommend waiting until you have a clearer direction. You lose nothing if you don't buy anything. Drive your brothers 997 to see if you like it enough to get the 997.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:13 AM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PT Doc
You won't regret buying the 997 IF you stop looking at the 991 and if you stop reading about it. The 991 is better in many ways. Period. But if the 997 works for you then get the 997.

I recommend waiting until you have a clearer direction. You lose nothing if you don't buy anything. Drive your brothers 997 to see if you like it enough to get the 997.
Agreed. I just drove a friend's 997 turbo and my 991S back to back and even if the oomph of the Turbo is unrivaled, it confirmed that I made the right choice with the 991. It is a matter of personal preferences of course and the thing is that no 911 ever gets old! Drive 997's and 991's ever and ever again and follow what your guts will tell you

Old 02-26-2012, 12:11 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
James,

Nothing wrong with liking the GTS better. IMO the 991 is not the holy grail of 911's in terms of looks. The rear is so-so and the interior center console is hit or miss with some drivers.

Nothing wrong with it looks wise but nothing suggests its a better looking car than the 997. Its a personal decision.

Without PDCC on the 991 IMO the performances differences will be slight between the two models unless you are driving at 10/10 which is impossible to do on the street and hard to do at the track.

Some experiences drivers are raving about the 991 and thats great, but they have the talent to get serious performance out of the car. And they know what they had to do to deal with understeer with past model models and how easy it is to deal with understeer with the 991.

I pay no heed to people who suggest you will regret getting the 997 and will be thinking about the 991. You will be too busy exploring the 997 and what it takes to get the max performance out of the car with your skill being the key factor.
Agree. You hit it on the nail... Law of diminishing returns with the 991 for sure. More gizmos' less interaction. Design iffy at best. 20 inch wheels out of proportion. They need to chat with the Aston folks to get so perspective on what proportions are supposed to be in order for them to look as if someone actually worked on it.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:30 PM
thackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to all
To be honest... I just don't like the look of the wing on the TT. Thanks for the info I'll look into it .
Ha, Ha... and I think the 997 looks like a big bumble-bee butt without the wing. Now the "fast-furious" GT wings.... that's a whole different story

Old 02-26-2012, 01:52 PM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
Hroussard bashing is getting old.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:53 PM
I decided to go with a 991. Going into the dealership this Saturday, hopefully will be able to get an "okay" deal. What do you guys think about the build? It's going to be a DD (I drive 10 miles a day round trip -- in city traffic).

Burmester(R) Audio Package
Basalt Black Metallic
Black leather front seats
Electric folding exterior mirrors
ParkAssist (front and rear)
Sport Exhaust System
Sport Chrono Package
PASM Sport Suspension
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
20-inch Carrera Classic wheel
Sport Seats Plus
Automatically dimming mirrors
SportDesign steering wheel

$117,550

Last edited by mostlyjames; 02-27-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:54 PM
Maybe take out SC and PASM and add PDCC? Would that be better for city driving mostly?

Old 02-28-2012, 04:45 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
I decided to go with a 991. Going into the dealership this Saturday, hopefully will be able to get an "okay" deal. What do you guys think about the build? It's going to be a DD (I drive 10 miles a day round trip -- in city traffic).

Burmester(R) Audio Package
Basalt Black Metallic
Black leather front seats
Electric folding exterior mirrors
ParkAssist (front and rear)
Sport Exhaust System
Sport Chrono Package
PASM Sport Suspension
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
20-inch Carrera Classic wheel
Sport Seats Plus
Automatically dimming mirrors
SportDesign steering wheel

$117,550

sounds great...I would try to get possible get PDCC in there as someone has suggested.

Good luck in the negotiations.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by Galactus
I would delete the Burmeister stereo and add the PDCC....
Is the Burmeister as good as Bang and Olufsen? I have B&O in my S class and A4 and I love it! (Even though the B&O in the A4 is not nearly as crisp as the system in the S). I'm not a big audio guy, so Bose might be enough... Hmm...

Old 03-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Taking out a 991 for an overnight test drive tomorrow. Will order one if everything goes well after the test drive.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ahhh 997 GTS vs. 991 C2S