10 mpg

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 10:29 AM
ArthurH is a jewel in the roughArthurH is a jewel in the roughArthurH is a jewel in the roughArthurH is a jewel in the rough
10 mpg

So far I've gone through about a tank of gas. I have start/stop turned off and I'm usually in sport mode, and playing with shifters etc.

The computer says my consumption is around 10.5 mpg. With all the fanfare about the reduced consumption of the new 991, I was a little disappointed at this number, and I don't think I am driving it particularly over-the-top aggressive, although I am in central SF so it is very city and very stop-and-go. The city mpg rating is way above this (16 or 18? I forget).

What are you guys (who have your 991s) seeing on consumption? Could this be related to break-in? Should I be concerned that something is wrong or could this be normal?

Arthur

Old 02-20-2012, 11:08 AM
No.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really nice
While I don't have a 991, I do have a 958 CTT with the auto start/stop and have noticed that in Sport mode and driving a little bit aggressive, I get about 13mpg. In "normal" mode with the start/stop enabled, I get up to 19mpg. I'd say pretty darn good for an SUV. But back to your issue, you do have all of the fuel saving features off so you can't expect it to perform well for fuel economy. With Sport mode on, you will rev higher and thus use more gas. Is it just Sport or Sport plus? When I test drove the 991S with Sport plus, it revs it much higher than in normal or even Sport.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:21 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Did u confirm the mpg with your own calculations?

Can't believe this number is true.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:25 AM
ArthurH is a jewel in the roughArthurH is a jewel in the roughArthurH is a jewel in the roughArthurH is a jewel in the rough
I did not, and I'm not quite sure how I would. I'd need to depend on the gas display being very accurate and then adding a very specific amount of gas, right? Sounds like the margin for error would make this calculation dubious.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:37 AM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
What does it cost to fill up its tank in your area? Here it costs about $28(super 98) and we are the most expensive place for gas in the the GCC.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:39 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Driving in sport mode is very bad for gas mileage because the RPMs are so high. Try driving in normal mode for a tank and I'll bet you get 50% better. It probably still won't match EPA, but it will help. I get 22 MPG on my 2009 C2S around town (DFW).

BTW what did the EPA sticker show on your car?

ChuckJ

Last edited by ChuckJ; 02-20-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:41 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by aamersa
What does it cost to fill up its tank in your area? Here it costs about $28(super 98) and we are the most expensive place for gas in the the GCC.
Really; how to make the rest of us feel bad!!!! I don't think we even have 98 R+M/2 here.

ChuckJ

Old 02-20-2012, 11:48 AM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
Yeah, now I remember the premium gas is about 91 or 92 in the US. Here you either get 95 or 98 or diesel, no other options. I always go for 98. But seriously gas prices have risen considerably even here over the last few years and we really are the most expensive place in the region.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by aamersa
Yeah, now I remember the premium gas is about 91 or 92 in the US. Here you either get 95 or 98 or diesel, no other options. I always go for 98. But seriously gas prices have risen considerably even here over the last few years and we really are the most expensive place in the region.
People dream about having your economy! Great job!

ChuckJ

Old 02-20-2012, 12:13 PM
msf
msf is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ahumphrey
I did not, and I'm not quite sure how I would. I'd need to depend on the gas display being very accurate and then adding a very specific amount of gas, right? Sounds like the margin for error would make this calculation dubious.
Reset your mileage at each fueling. Take total miles between fueling divided by total gallons on your receipt or the pump. For example: 234 miles/12.34 gallons = 18.96 miles per gallon. The computers are usually off on miles per gallon. They usually tell you are getting better gas mileage than you are actually getting.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:18 PM
I'll keep an eye on it, and refuel the next time the fuel light turns on to try to be empirical about it.

Could be the dealer have slipped some low-octane in the tank? Could it be engine break-in? Could it be that I'm driving it like I stole it? All of this will be tested.

The EPA sticker says 19 for city. My computer consumption indicator is hovering closer to 11.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:18 PM
seapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of light
take a nice sunday drive on the 280 from SF to Stanford area past the flintstone house. reset your setting when you get on the fwy; drive in normal mode and report back to us. Keep it under 75 or so as you see fit.

try sport mode on the return leg.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:24 PM
I can't stop downshifting on the paddles to hear that sound.

But I will stop! To perform these tests. I will.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by ahumphrey
I can't stop downshifting on the paddles to hear that sound.

But I will stop! To perform these tests. I will.

Bad boy, now eat your oatmeal.

ChuckJ
PS: SEAPAR has the right idea!

Old 02-20-2012, 12:59 PM
gleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to behold
I hate to sound bad, but who cares.

I am fairly certain that 99.9% of people who will buy a 911 do not care about the gas mileage. If you like revving to the redline, at the expense of gas mileage, by all means go for it.

With this said, I will be $$$ that the actual fuel efficiency will be closer to stated EPA than the 10 mpg you initially reported.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 10 mpg