"Porsche Engineer Predicts Manual-Transmission 911 Could Die by 2020" - Automobile

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 09:16 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by GS997S
The PDK is a fantastic piece of engineering, and is faster than a manual. But for me, I get bored with that type transmission. The novelty is fun for several months, then I just leave it in auto after that and drive around. If it was all about being the fastest, I would probably drive something other than a 911. I am 60, and some day may not want to row my own gears. At that time, a PDK might be in my future, but now now.

Porsche loves the PDK because it is a high profit item for them. Once you factor in the cost of Sport Chrono, which most will want with PDK, you are looking at $6500. That is a pretty expensive transmission option, and a money maker for Porsche.
Agreed

Old 02-22-2012, 09:55 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SpikeP
For those who feel the PDK is boring, did the cars you drove have paddle shifters or just the steering wheel buttons. I actually find the paddles to be quite fun. I actually became less than enamored with the manual transmission on my 996 TT as first gear was so short it was useless. That combined with the long throw and slave issues ( both of which required an expense to correct), I am now a fan of the PDK with paddles.
I've driven both types and, as was said elsewhere, for me it's not whether it's a button or a paddle (though I certainly do prefer paddles to buttons), it's that either way you're just flipping an electric switch. Boring, IMO. Impressive, but boring. Eric, you're right, it's like a video game -- and that's the problem. I don't want my car to feel like a video game, I want it to feel like a machine.

BTW, as far as driving a 3-pedal car in traffic, that has never bothered me even the littlest bit. At least it gives you something to do.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:04 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Speedraser
it's that either way you're just flipping an electric switch. Boring, IMO. Impressive, but boring. Eric, you're right, it's like a video game -- and that's the problem. I don't want my car to feel like a video game, I want it to feel like a machine.
Guess what? - they make a transmission for you.

But for the record I've obviously driven both and there is no lack of machine in the PDK. The engine braking after some F1 speed downshift blips will pull the blood from the back of your head to your face.

If you think a Ferrari 599 GTO tranny is boring and lacks "machine" then I dunno...

I find a the monotony of a clutch so tedious.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:42 PM
ryanlb is infamous around these parts
sounds sad but it eventually has to happen.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:26 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Driving a manual is like having sex. Both involve effort, aren't always done well, but offer a unique pleasure. Some people enjoy sex more than others, and the latter will never fully understand the zeal of the former. And the former will never want to give it up unless their libido diminishes.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:01 AM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Manifold
Driving a manual is like having sex. Both involve effort, aren't always done well, but offer a unique pleasure. Some people enjoy sex more than others, and the latter will never fully understand the zeal of the former. And the former will never want to give it up unless their libido diminishes.
Haha.... your argument could be totally taken to another level LOL!

Old 02-23-2012, 08:50 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
I thought the Porsche 997.1 manual I had was terrific, the 997.2 PDK I have is magnificent and the 991 PDK I drove solved the shortcomings and was eloquent. I only hope for the people that prefer manual transmissions, that the manual meets their standards as well as the prior transmission.

ChuckJ

Old 02-23-2012, 09:13 AM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by EricP
Guess what? - they make a transmission for you.

But for the record I've obviously driven both and there is no lack of machine in the PDK. The engine braking after some F1 speed downshift blips will pull the blood from the back of your head to your face.

If you think a Ferrari 599 GTO tranny is boring and lacks "machine" then I dunno...

I find a the monotony of a clutch so tedious.
The engine braking comes from the engine, not the transmission. Hence the name "engine braking."

Yes, using the tranny in a 599 GTO, to me, is boring. All the driver does is flip a switch. That's computer, not machine. That said, obviously driving a 599, or a 991 with PDK, "like you're being chased" as one journalist (Harris?) said, isn't boring, and the shifts are very impressive. But the paddle 'box provides me with zero fun in every circumstance other than max-attack mode and, for a road car, max-attack opportunities are few and far between, especially when cars are as fast as these. A true manual is fun in normal driving and in max-attack mode.

You find the "monotony of a clutch so tedious." Guess what? - they make a transmission for you.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:12 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I find it interesting (and pleasantly surprising) that in the US even with the delay in the Manual being released, STILL half of the people want manuals. Almost makes me want to shed a tear. And the US is still Porsche's largest market, so if this guy thinks they will stop making manual and risk missing out on all of those sales, he's smoking. Porsche execs want to recoup money invested in the transmission, so a lot of this is political in convincing us how much grander the PDK is regardless of how less engaging the drive is.

As for monotony, every time you push the clutch in to rev match, it's a different experience and one that takes focus to get right. From the timing of depressing the clutch pedal, to letting off the gas, to doing all that in reverse while rowing the gear to one of 6 (now 7) different positions. You could get in the car with 10 different people and that feel altogether different 10 different times based on experience and skill level. Try that with a PDK and see if anything feels different. Clicking a paddle or flipping a button and making everything feel the same is the definition of monotony and certainly more so than rowing gears.

Last edited by heavychevy; 02-23-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:07 AM
SpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by speed21
It's only early days.

How many Kms did the car do in 2 years tho? Most F cars are weekend toys out here. Dare any mileage acrue or there goes resale and up goes service costs....
Largely true with your statement about F cars being weekend toys... Mine was and I drove collectively about 3,500 miles in two years. While I have 82,000 miles on my 2000 996 over 12 years (6,800 a year).

I like having different cars for diff purposes like my Range Rover for bad weather and bad roads, etc.

The reason for a 911 having manual or PDK has to be married to the individual driver's use of the car. I know many who have their 911s as weekend toys and drive their Tahoes everyday. So, the point is having a choice is good but manufacturers will offer a choice as long as there is enough demand to build the cars with that tranny profitably. For Ferrari that line was crossed and more than 95% of F430 buyers bought F1 and the manual 3 pedal was toast. Can you blame the manufacturer? Not really, IMO.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:10 AM
SpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant future
Great analogy! Sometimes, it is great to be able to have flexibility in the degree of involvement you may want to have on that particular day! Every day is different, right?

Old 02-23-2012, 11:50 AM
Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !
I would argue that it is still fun to just lay there and make her do all of the work.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:27 PM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
Manual all the way in a sports car... PDK is for race track or people who don't know how to shift... For them, the Panamera.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:34 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by m5_2010
Manual all the way in a sports car... PDK is for race track or people who don't know how to shift... For them, the Panamera.
Funny

Old 02-23-2012, 06:34 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SpeeddemonC2
Largely true with your statement about F cars being weekend toys... Mine was and I drove collectively about 3,500 miles in two years. While I have 82,000 miles on my 2000 996 over 12 years (6,800 a year).

I like having different cars for diff purposes like my Range Rover for bad weather and bad roads, etc.

The reason for a 911 having manual or PDK has to be married to the individual driver's use of the car. I know many who have their 911s as weekend toys and drive their Tahoes everyday. So, the point is having a choice is good but manufacturers will offer a choice as long as there is enough demand to build the cars with that tranny profitably. For Ferrari that line was crossed and more than 95% of F430 buyers bought F1 and the manual 3 pedal was toast. Can you blame the manufacturer? Not really, IMO.
Most guys that own an 11 usually have another car but in general terms an 11 is going to see much more regular use than an F car. So an F car to me is not a great example to draw upon as that type of sports car remains exciting due to the minimal seat time and being the center of attention everywhere you go....which is a distraction.

Being more understated, a Porsche is a different sports car experience than a Fcar or Lambo. You tend to focus more on the car itself than the attention that is coming to you from all around. And whilst PDK is initially exicting it becomes boring at one point especially if you spend time in the car regularly. For some that boredom occurs sooner than later....but it will come at one point as essentially the car is a sports car and along with that comes the need for maintaining control over the key functions.

If the car is just a toy PDK will always remain exciting for longer....that goes without saying. Not saying PDK isnt a brilliant transmission or unworthy as a choice....far from it. It's just that in a sports car which sees regular use PDK becomes too automated to retain the same level of exitement as a regular shift sports car which provides that greater depth of interaction. And all the discussion and comparison between the two will never alter the fact that the manual will always have a greater depth of interaction for the driver.

Last edited by speed21; 02-23-2012 at 06:41 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: "Porsche Engineer Predicts Manual-Transmission 911 Could Die by 2020" - Automobile