"Porsche Engineer Predicts Manual-Transmission 911 Could Die by 2020" - Automobile

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 07:29 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Manifold
Driving a manual is like having sex. Both involve effort, aren't always done well, but offer a unique pleasure. Some people enjoy sex more than others, and the latter will never fully understand the zeal of the former. And the former will never want to give it up unless their libido diminishes.
wow...too much wine tonight?...

Old 02-23-2012, 07:36 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Driving a manual is like having sex...
It's like the type of sex I had when I by myself and thirteen.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:39 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Inglorious
I would argue that it is still fun to just lay there and make her do all of the work.
My wife doesn't have the stamina!

Old 02-23-2012, 07:49 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I find it interesting (and pleasantly surprising) that in the US even with the delay in the Manual being released, STILL half of the people want manuals. Almost makes me want to shed a tear. And the US is still Porsche's largest market, so if this guy thinks they will stop making manual and risk missing out on all of those sales, he's smoking. Porsche execs want to recoup money invested in the transmission, so a lot of this is political in convincing us how much grander the PDK is regardless of how less engaging the drive is.

As for monotony, every time you push the clutch in to rev match, it's a different experience and one that takes focus to get right. From the timing of depressing the clutch pedal, to letting off the gas, to doing all that in reverse while rowing the gear to one of 6 (now 7) different positions. You could get in the car with 10 different people and that feel altogether different 10 different times based on experience and skill level. Try that with a PDK and see if anything feels different. Clicking a paddle or flipping a button and making everything feel the same is the definition of monotony and certainly more so than rowing gears.

well said...

I have no problem with people getting PDK. Its a great system and faster; but not better.

Why?

IMO nothing beats the feel of balancing a car to go fast thru a corner. Driving at the limits is about physical and sensory inputs. When you drive a manual its another input in working towards that balance. It makes it more of a challenge and yes I'm slower than the computer. But I can live with it.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:50 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
wow...too much wine tonight?...
Not wine, have been listening to Steven Tyler's (Aerosmith) autobiography. Amazing stories about sex and so much else. Highly recommended!

Old 02-23-2012, 07:53 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
well said...

I have no problem with people getting PDK. Its a great system and faster; but not better.

Why?

IMO nothing beats the feel of balancing a car to go fast thru a corner. Driving at the limits is about physical and sensory inputs. When you drive a manual its another input in working towards that balance. It makes it more of a challenge and yes I'm slower than the computer. But I can live with it.
Agreed - I still love driving a manual tranny. My last Porsche was a manual. My M3 was a 6MT. Just something different this time. Next time? Who knows.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by EricP
Agreed - I still love driving a manual tranny. My last Porsche was a manual. My M3 was a 6MT. Just something different this time. Next time? Who knows.
both are good..and my god..that color combo you got is awesome...pdk or not!

Old 02-23-2012, 07:56 PM
Not wine, have been listening to Steven Tyler's (Aerosmith) autobiography. Amazing stories about sex and so much else. Highly recommended!
ok...your excused!!!!

Old 02-23-2012, 08:04 PM
both are good..and my god..that color combo you got is awesome...pdk or not!
thanks B-dub.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:21 PM
Croctor is infamous around these parts
PDK is for emissions and fuel economy in the future. Both trannies have their place and everything else is opinion only!

Old 02-24-2012, 08:42 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Croctor
PDK is for emissions and fuel economy in the future. Both trannies have their place and everything else is opinion only!
I agree that PDK helps fuel economy and emissions, but I think it's fast both in straight line and corners. My only regret is having to pay so much more for it.

ChuckJ

Old 02-25-2012, 10:54 PM
modenaboy has a spectacular aura aboutmodenaboy has a spectacular aura about
Completely agree

Amen. I've driven multiple sports cars with a stick through the worst traffic jams, no problem at all. I just don't get the complaint about it. I once took a 430 with 6 speed through two hours of stop and go, and recently had my Superformance Cobra in stop and go city traffic - shifting wasn't even an issue, the frustration of being stuck in traffic (and worrying about getting nudged by another car) was the problem, not shifting - in fact I fully agree with your sentiment here: at least with the shift I had something to do to stay focused and provide a tiny bit of interest.

BTW, the two hour traffic jam was on the way to the racetrack, I certainly noticed the stick shift there - how much awesome fun it was, that is!

Originally Posted by Speedraser
I've driven both types and, as was said elsewhere, for me it's not whether it's a button or a paddle (though I certainly do prefer paddles to buttons), it's that either way you're just flipping an electric switch. Boring, IMO. Impressive, but boring. Eric, you're right, it's like a video game -- and that's the problem. I don't want my car to feel like a video game, I want it to feel like a machine.

BTW, as far as driving a 3-pedal car in traffic, that has never bothered me even the littlest bit. At least it gives you something to do.