"Porsche Engineer Predicts Manual-Transmission 911 Could Die by 2020" - Automobile

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 10:24 AM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
"Porsche Engineer Predicts Manual-Transmission 911 Could Die by 2020" - Automobile

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/pors...20-111057.html

The manual-transmission Porsche 911 has just eight years left to live. At least that’s the personal prediction of Michael Schätzle, project manager of the new 911. At a media event for the 911 cabriolet, Schätzle gave the three-pedal, rear-engined Porsche until 2020, or “one or two generations,” before going the way of Studebaker.
Schätzle staked his claim on the grounds that both customers and management prefer the quicker, more efficient dual-clutch automatic transmission. Globally, 78 percent of the seventh-generation 911 have sold with the PDK dual-clutch automatic, he said. The United States bucks that trend, however, with roughly half of 911 buyers choosing the three-pedal transmission.
Ironically, Porsche showed rare innovation and commitment to the manual transmission when it introduced a seven-speed manual in the 2012 911. The manual and dual-clutch transmissions share a large percentage of parts, but Porsche is likely readying a new PDK gearbox that undoes much of the commonality. Schätzle indicated that Porsche is interested in a nine-speed dual-clutch to succeed the current seven-speed gearbox and that adding those two cogs would require a thorough redesign to add a fourth shaft to the current transmission. Lest you get any crazy ideas, a nine-speed manual is out of the question.
While he doesn’t see a future for the stick-shift 911, Schätzle also doesn’t forecast total extinction for the manual transmission anytime soon. He believes budget-minded European customers will keep the demand for cheap, stick-shift economy cars high. Perhaps that’s little consolation for enthusiasts in America, where manuals are most popular in pricier sports cars, but at least we have this: despite his role in 911 development, Schätzle is adamant that his prediction isn’t the official word. “This is a personal opinion,” he said. “No decision has been made.”

Read more: http://rumors.automobilemag.com/pors...#ixzz1n2QWOK3u

Old 02-21-2012, 10:31 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
mhmm, mhmm, mhmmm....

Old 02-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !
Thanks for the find. I am not even going to speculate what is going on in the minds of Porsche execs/engineers.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:06 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Changing gears manually 9 times does sound a little excessive. Does anyone beside me remember the three speed? Actually I have driven a 2 speed car, but that wasn't that sensual.

ChuckJ

Old 02-21-2012, 11:34 AM
jmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to alljmmk is a name known to all
Other than for fun and to hone your skills, the reasons for a manual transmission make less and less sense. In the not too distant past a manual transmission was considerably lighter and was both faster and got better gas mileage.

The weight penalty is almost gone and the faster and better mileage are a thing of the past. That doesn't mean some people might prefer the interaction available in the manual but the sample definitely shrinks when the performance crowd leaves. This leaves the economy (not fuel economy, but initial purchase economy) crowd and the "fun" crowd standing alone. And, since the fun crowd can grow up and change to the ease of use crowd after a Porsche or two, only the cost savings can justify a large sample of manual buyers. And how often does "economy" and "Porsche" occur in the same sentence.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:46 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jmmk
Other than for fun and to hone your skills, the reasons for a manual transmission make less and less sense. In the not too distant past a manual transmission was considerably lighter and was both faster and got better gas mileage.

The weight penalty is almost gone and the faster and better mileage are a thing of the past. That doesn't mean some people might prefer the interaction available in the manual but the sample definitely shrinks when the performance crowd leaves. This leaves the economy (not fuel economy, but initial purchase economy) crowd and the "fun" crowd standing alone. And, since the fun crowd can grow up and change to the ease of use crowd after a Porsche or two, only the cost savings can justify a large sample of manual buyers. And how often does "economy" and "Porsche" occur in the same sentence.
And the other interesting point is that the price of each is obviously not based on cost, rather on demand / profit.

Chuck

Old 02-21-2012, 12:17 PM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
Take a manual car and PDK car and drive it... They are a totally different cars.... I have a PDK now but will go with manual for the 991.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by m5_2010
Take a manual car and PDK car and drive it... They are a totally different cars.... I have a PDK now but will go with manual for the 991.
Was that after driving both the manual and PDK 991s?

ChuckJ

Old 02-21-2012, 12:30 PM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Was that after driving both the manual and PDK 991s?

ChuckJ
No. I have 997.2 Targa 4S with PDK. Before I ordered the 991, I test drove the 997.2 S with 6 speed manual. It was a total different experience. I should have never ordered the Targa 4S with PDK.
Automatic trans are for sedans not for sports car IMHO.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:40 PM
dan1423 is infamous around these partsdan1423 is infamous around these parts
+1 Us New Yorkers think alike haha...I ran backroads out in Sag Harbor Saturday night and switched with my friend, I drove his 997.2 PDK and he drove my car...while yes it is SO much easier to be faster, even on backroads, it wasnt as much fun to me. It got boring before we were done. Obviously this is just my personal opinion...I drove the 991S pdk and it was fantastic, but I would opt for the manual as well.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:44 PM
Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !
Automatic trans are for sedans not for sports car IMHO.
I wouldn't even dream of driving a stick in city traffic. I applaud those who are brave enough to do that day in an day out.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:14 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
That is a long and bold prediction by Porsche. I love manual transmission cars and plan on buying and driving a few more in my lifetime!

Old 02-21-2012, 04:38 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
I'd be surprised if Porsche produces manuals for the next 8 years. With that being said, I sure hope they do.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:57 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
Given that the 991 with a manual is not even available yet here (not sure about ROW) I am not sure where these statistic are coming from.

Last edited by Dharn55; 02-21-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:52 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Sports cars are supposed to be fun.

Efficiency über alles = boring. Cars that drive themselves are also under development, and they'll be very efficient. And very boring. Don't get me wrong, I'm not equating PDK with self-driving cars, but greater and greater efficiency is leading to less for the driver to do, and in my view, less fun for the driver.

Sports cars are supposed to be fun.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: "Porsche Engineer Predicts Manual-Transmission 911 Could Die by 2020" - Automobile