991 at the track, 1/4 mile times

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 04:14 PM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
Why does the manual tell us to drive 2000 miles before exceeding 4k rpm and it's ok to launch a brand new car on multiple runs?

Old 02-24-2012, 06:26 PM
GAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by NC 997
.. and some poor sumbich will buy the car not having a clue it's been thrashed ...
These cars are made to be beat on. They're not porcelain dolls...

Old 02-24-2012, 07:43 PM
NC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by GAM3OVR
Sure they are.. by the owner, not a salesman. That's the reason I will never buy a 'new' car with a bunch of miles on it. I'm sure many of you guys think that's acceptable behavior.. I don't. If the car is going to get beat on, I'm the guy who will do the beating.

You've heard the old Q&A that goes like this...

Q: What's the second fastest car in the world?
A: Your rental car..

Q: What's the fastest car in the world?
A: Someone else's rental car...

Old 02-24-2012, 10:20 PM
hollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura about
It is "run what you brung baby". My sources who build p-car motors for a living and tune the heck out of them tell me on a new P car. " Drive normal and from time to time GET ON IT". Sounds like these folks were in that "from time to time mode" to me.
One of the reasons I LOVE PORSCHE, they are no garage queens by any streach.

My 12 Turbo S ran a 10.7 @ 129 with 1800 miles on the ticker and lauch control at the drag strip.

My 03 Turbo with Protomotive/Motorwerks 650 tune on 109 gas ran a 11.7@128 and it is a 6 speed.

This new car is pretty dam fast on a straight is all I have to say.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:33 AM
GAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to behold
Sure they are.. by the owner, not a salesman. That's the reason I will never buy a 'new' car with a bunch of miles on it. I'm sure many of you guys think that's acceptable behavior.. I don't. If the car is going to get beat on, I'm the guy who will do the beating.
Now I see what you meant but you missed this part:

Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
Not yet. It's a personal car that belongs to one of the guys who works at Champion Porsche. It was sort of a last minute "hey you wanna go to test and tune night with the 991....?" sort of thing...lol.
So I do agree with you - no way I want a car that's been beat on by salespeople and tire kickers.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:32 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
.. and some poor sumbich will buy the car not having a clue it's been thrashed ...
I wouldn't really consider using the launch control "thrashing". The launch control in these PDK cars is hardly as "violent" as the name suggests. You can use it 100 times and there's no ill effects on the car.

Would it be any different if an average Joe bought the car, and trades it in a year from now?

Originally Posted by tromero
Why does the manual tell us to drive 2000 miles before exceeding 4k rpm and it's ok to launch a brand new car on multiple runs?
Guys....relax. The car is way past the break-in period. It has plenty of miles on it, and it is NOT a showroom car. It was personally purchased by one of our employees at the dealership (not a salesman, by the way). Just a guy who finally gets to own a 911 like he's always wanted.

It wasn't "beat on"...lol. It was 3 passes down the 1/4 mile....sheesh.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:58 AM
OhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to behold
Whoa, wait a minute, the guy that bought and paid for it took it to the track? This is absurd, I was so upset when I read this, I spilled my 18 year old Macallan all over my Vera *****.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:12 AM
uschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant future
If the quarter mile is hard on the car, what about driver control school with a mini-auto-x thrown in?

Old 02-27-2012, 05:56 PM
NC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant future
Now I see what you meant but you missed this part:

So I do agree with you - no way I want a car that's been beat on by salespeople and tire kickers.
You're right..

Old 02-28-2012, 06:06 AM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
It wasn't "beat on"...lol. It was 3 passes down the 1/4 mile....sheesh.
I KNOW, RIGHT???

As Enzo said many times, cars are meant to be driven, not looked at. A few passes down the drag strip is nothing. It is a safe, controlled environment. I would prefer that then traffic time in the winter with all the retired folk who come down from the north . . . LOL.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:08 PM
Banned
JDMtube is infamous around these parts
Broken Link! New Server sorry

For kicks, we took one of our brand new 2012 991 Carrera S cars up to PBIR during test and tune night Wednesday to play around and see what kind of 1/4 mile the car would run bone stock.

Someone that was there managed to grab a few videos...

12.01 was the best pass...not too shabby!

http://www.jdmtube.com/video/103/New-Porsche-911-Moroso
You guys are the reason I was able to get out of the old server Contract.
Here is the correct link to the video:

http://www.jdmtube.com/video/43/The-...e-14-Mile-Test

...and the guy was not ******* the car! He was launching it weak if you ask me......just had to get my two cents in there!

Old 10-03-2012, 06:23 AM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Glad to see someone driving it like it was meant to be driven.

Is it me or is it difficult to do a burnout with the PDK? I turn off stability do not put it in to Sport Plus (because that turns on launch). Brake stand and I only get a little burnout. The car seems to have enough traction that it doesn't really do a burn out.

In the video it looks as if they didn't have an issue. Must be me. Maybe I will spend my morning trying a little more