“Transmission failure” on night of delivery for 991S PDK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 08:57 PM
eagleeye is just really niceeagleeye is just really niceeagleeye is just really niceeagleeye is just really nice
So sorry to hear this. Best wishes to you. If all else fails, I would try to get a free warranty extension 7yr/100k for your inconveinence/gut ache/anxiety/potential losses at resale.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:55 AM
MOM3NTM is a jewel in the roughMOM3NTM is a jewel in the roughMOM3NTM is a jewel in the rough
New transmission going in now

Well Porsche managed to get the transmission from Atlanta to Champion very quickly so I am pleased about that. They were very responsive and timely which says a lot. I was surprised they had a new transmission available in Atlanta. I should have the car back soon.

I appreciate everybody's perspective on this and definitely picked up a few helpful hints. I requested that Porsche NA back this repair by providing an extended warranty. It seems a reasonable sign of good faith for them to provide an extended warranty when there has been such a significant mechanical failure in such a short time. I have a friend who had a transmission fail in a GM SUV after 800 miles. In addition to repairing the transmission, GM provided an extended warranty 7 year/100000k miles without being asked. If GM can do this on a 40k SUV then I hope Porsche will step up and do the same.

I am hopeful the new transmission solves the problem and that I will have a trouble free Porsche ownership experience. Time will tell.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:10 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Sorry about my long Lemon law post; I missed your update. It's pretty obvious that you won't be needing that.

Again, I feel your frustration.

ChuckJ

Old 02-28-2012, 11:19 AM
DS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MOM3NTM
Well Porsche managed to get the transmission from Atlanta to Champion very quickly so I am pleased about that. They were very responsive and timely which says a lot. I was surprised they had a new transmission available in Atlanta. I should have the car back soon.

...In addition to repairing the transmission, GM provided an extended warranty 7 year/100000k miles without being asked. If GM can do this on a 40k SUV then I hope Porsche will step up and do the same.

I am hopeful the new transmission solves the problem and that I will have a trouble free Porsche ownership experience. Time will tell.
Originally Posted by eagleeye
So sorry to hear this. Best wishes to you. If all else fails, I would try to get a free warranty extension 7yr/100k for your inconveinence/gut ache/anxiety/potential losses at resale.
Extended Warranty is a great idea. If they offer it, kudos to Champion and the salesperson!

Old 02-28-2012, 11:25 AM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Sorry about my long Lemon law post; I missed your update. It's pretty obvious that you won't be needing that.

Again, I feel your frustration.

ChuckJ
All ” voluntary buybacks” start with a problem that looks like it will be resolved. I strongly recommend that the owner get familiar with his states lemon law. Keep track of all communication regarding this since it might be needed.

Hopefully this is a 1 time repair and all is good from here on out.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:28 AM
barsofboost is infamous around these parts
Talking

I can understand your frustration especially after the build wait. Try to be calm and understand how many things are put into these cars when they're built. It would be safe to say that it will be resolved in a quick and complete manner. Much better to have it happen 2 miles from the dealer than in the middle of a nice long road trip. Try and not let this small (hopefully) glitch sour your ownership experience. You'll most likely go on to have a long loving relationship with her. I'm sure when you first met your wife she did something that made you think twice about seeing her again didn't she? Well maybe that's not the right example.... It'll all work out. Take care and enjoy

Old 02-28-2012, 11:33 AM
barsofboost is infamous around these parts
Hey one more thing to think about. Use this as a bargaining chip to get something (extended warranty, techequipment, etc...) for your inconvenience and emotional suffering.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:13 PM
Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PaulChristian
Agreed. I would ask for a new car too if this is at all possibe... Not because I am afraid that the problem wil not be fixed properly or that other issues will arise but because I believe it will hurt the resale value someday down the road. If you are not concerned about resale, I would not worry about it. I would ask the dealer how/if this repair will be represented on a CARFAX/Vehicle history report.
It won't have any affect on resale value.
Asking for a new car is absurd, just let them fix it and enjoy it, don't make this bigger than it is.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:41 PM
j080808 is infamous around these parts
It would certainly effect resale if I were buying it. Faced with this car and another that didnt have major work done, who would pick this one? Look at the potential market for this vehicle 2-3 years down the road, some guy/gal searching the internet for the best car they can find. They have been saving for years, waiting for the day to buy a Porsche and they are looking at vehicle history of this car and others. How a vehicle is maintained and the service history effects resale as much as anything, I would pay more for a higher mileage vehicle with verified regular service than a low mileage vehicle with an unknown service history.

Brand new car, factory fresh and now a tech is replacing the trans, no thanks, replacement car please. The dealer should have no problem at all replacing the vehicle, its PCNA taking the hit, not them. They can replace the trans and turn it into a demo or loaner.

I feel for you, but as pointed out above, it is just metal, plastic and glass, so why not get one thats perfect from the start?

Old 02-28-2012, 10:40 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by j080808
It would certainly effect resale if I were buying it. Faced with this car and another that didnt have major work done, who would pick this one? Look at the potential market for this vehicle 2-3 years down the road, some guy/gal searching the internet for the best car they can find. They have been saving for years, waiting for the day to buy a Porsche and they are looking at vehicle history of this car and others. How a vehicle is maintained and the service history effects resale as much as anything, I would pay more for a higher mileage vehicle with verified regular service than a low mileage vehicle with an unknown service history.

Brand new car, factory fresh and now a tech is replacing the trans, no thanks, replacement car please. The dealer should have no problem at all replacing the vehicle, its PCNA taking the hit, not them. They can replace the trans and turn it into a demo or loaner.

I feel for you, but as pointed out above, it is just metal, plastic and glass, so why not get one thats perfect from the start?
No offence but this is being OTT and alarmist. There would be no effect to the resale whatsoever.

Changing a gearbox does not represent a major job. Just think of a manual requiring a clutch change out or an engine requiring a RMS replacement. Having a brand new gearbox changed out for another is inconsequential in terms of changes to the vehicle. It (may) be a different story if the failed box was being pulled apart at the dealership and being repaired but it's a like for like brand new change out...no serial number or paperwork changes. Now if it was the engine that was being changed out it would be a diffferent story altogether with the change in engine Nos, but as far as the actual job itself goes, pulling an engine is also no big deal so far as jobs go on a P car in a P car workshop. Chances are the engine may need to be pulled at one stage anyway to do service work.

No one is ever going to bend over and give a new car in this instance as the car is still new with the new gearbox. I'ts not as if they are sticking in a second hand or reconditioned gearbox.

Last edited by speed21; 02-28-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:35 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by aamersa
This should not happen! Let alone on the day of delivery a transmission failure should be unacceptable for a car of this level any time in the first few years of life. But I am sure it will be resolved by concerned parties. It's a brand new car, they are responsible entirely for corrective action.

Meanwhile I've been giving my pdk a real run for its money, in sport and sport + taking it between 180-200 km/hr at some point every day. Despite some real hard acceleration pdk is behaving so far. I only have a 2 yr warranty so if something is gonna happen, it might as well happen sooner.
What's up with the 2 year warranty? I thought factory warranty is 4 yrs?

Old 02-29-2012, 12:40 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
It's a balance between getting first year car or be able to wait until all kinks are worked out. I bought BMW 335i coupe with N54 twin turbo engine first year and had my share of problems...after 5 years...it's running strong now....fingers crossed!!

Old 02-29-2012, 05:22 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21
No offence but this is being OTT and alarmist. There would be no effect to the resale whatsoever.
This is so true.

Now we are staying away from cars that have had mechanical work done? Like no car ever breaks down.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:56 AM
911dreamer is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by speed21

Changing a gearbox does not represent a major job. Just think of a manual requiring a clutch change out or an engine requiring a RMS replacement. Having a brand new gearbox changed out for another is inconsequential in terms of changes to the vehicle. It (may) be a different story if the failed box was being pulled apart at the dealership and being repaired but it's a like for like brand new change out...no serial number or paperwork changes. Now if it was the engine that was being changed out it would be a diffferent story altogether with the change in engine Nos, but as far as the actual job itself goes, pulling an engine is also no big deal so far as jobs go on a P car in a P car workshop. Chances are the engine may need to be pulled at one stage anyway to do service work.

No one is ever going to bend over and give a new car in this instance as the car is still new with the new gearbox. It's not as if they are sticking in a second hand or reconditioned gearbox.
I know I was looking at a 997 a while ago, silver, manual trans, every bell and whistle i wanted, then I read through the maintenance history of the car and found out that it had a RMS problem in the past. So I turned it down, and now I'm waiting for the 991.
It does potentially affect resale.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:57 AM
Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by j080808

PCNA will never approve replacing the car and they shouldn't.

I had a 996TT and the engine had to be replaced at 800 miles, had no bearing on resale value when i sold the car. How I maintained the car, kept the service records, mileage etc. made the difference.

A transmission replacement on a new car is a PITA but long term it just isn't a big deal. We're not talking about high mileage vs. low mileage used cars or well maintained vs. not well maintained etc., just the fact that Porsche replaced the transmission when the car was new.

I think making MOM3NTM crazy about this is wrong, the car will be perfect and he should not give it another thought.

911dreamer, you say you passed on a 997 and you are now waiting on a 991. If you want a perfect car you have to buy new and that's what your doing which is fine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: “Transmission failure” on night of delivery for 991S PDK