“Transmission failure” on night of delivery for 991S PDK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 07:24 AM
dragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bruce
PCNA will never approve replacing the car and they shouldn't.

I had a 996TT and the engine had to be replaced at 800 miles, had no bearing on resale value when i sold the car. How I maintained the car, kept the service records, mileage etc. made the difference.

A transmission replacement on a new car is a PITA but long term it just isn't a big deal. We're not talking about high mileage vs. low mileage used cars or well maintained vs. not well maintained etc., just the fact that Porsche replaced the transmission when the car was new.

I think making MOM3NTM crazy about this is wrong, the car will be perfect and he should not give it another thought.

911dreamer, you say you passed on a 997 and you are now waiting on a 991. If you want a perfect car you have to buy new and that's what your doing which is fine.
When I bought my 996tt from the previous owner here on 6speed, the new engine actually was a deciding factor for me. If anything, new major components would only help resale value to some buyers like me. I took comfort in the fact that the new reinforced crate engine was much better and only made the car better. Plus, new engine = reset in miles mechanically so you get longer with major replacements and such maintenance wise. In this case, a new transmission might only help his case as they caught it early and did not affect the car whatsoever.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:19 AM
911dreamer is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Bruce
PCNA will never approve replacing the car and they shouldn't.

I had a 996TT and the engine had to be replaced at 800 miles, had no bearing on resale value when i sold the car. How I maintained the car, kept the service records, mileage etc. made the difference.

A transmission replacement on a new car is a PITA but long term it just isn't a big deal. We're not talking about high mileage vs. low mileage used cars or well maintained vs. not well maintained etc., just the fact that Porsche replaced the transmission when the car was new.

I think making MOM3NTM crazy about this is wrong, the car will be perfect and he should not give it another thought.

911dreamer, you say you passed on a 997 and you are now waiting on a 991. If you want a perfect car you have to buy new and that's what your doing which is fine.
yes, all I'm saying is that there are all kinds of people out there, some may never care or look at maintenance records and some may get scared off by the slightest hint of an issue. In my case, I had read that the RMS could re-occur, and had re-occured in some vehicles, so when I found out that the car I was considering had this issue repaired once already, I wasn't willing to take the chance that it wont happen again. Who knows...maybe there will be PDK tranny issues on several cars and it will become the new curse of the 991 or maybe the one tranny of a few thousand had a bad bearing, and it will never happen again. The choice is up to the OP's comfort level and of course the dealership and Porsche.
I once had a car that was in an accident within the first few months of ownership. I had all the photos, receipts, and all work was professionally done. I thought I would never sell it, but then along came a guy who didnt seem to care, or was just glad that I had all the documentation and he drove away with it with a huge smile on his face. So you never know!
Its a really bad thing to happen to a guy that was drooling over getting a new car, I feel so sorry for the OP.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:40 PM
MOM3NTM is a jewel in the roughMOM3NTM is a jewel in the roughMOM3NTM is a jewel in the rough
She's home

Larry Reynolds from Champion dropped the car off tonight and so far so good. Larry drove the car the hour up to me to drop it off as I wanted somebody from Porsche to give it an extended test drive to make sure I wasn't the one getting stuck it if died again. After Larry left in my loaner, I took her out for a test run and everything seemed well sorted. Shifting was spot on and everything felt as it should. Took the family out for ice cream and car continued to run well. Everybody enjoyed the ride and my daughters new Porsche car seat fit the car and her great. She is 6 fit well back there, not one complaint about being squished. Larry installed the clear side markers and a set of white LED's to go with it. Looks much better with the white markers.

Champion forwarded my request for an extended warranty to Porsche NA and we will see what they come back with. Hopefully they will step up and go the extra mile to impress a new customer and secure a future one. My thanks to Champion and Larry Reynolds for handling this in a professional manner. They stepped up and got the car repaired in a much faster time frame than I thought possible. It gives me piece of mind that the master tech who did the tranny swap worked with Champions race team. Of all dealerships to do this work I would think Champion among the better equipped. My thanks also goes out to Porsche NA for having a PDK transmission sitting in Atlanta and then overnighting it to Florida. The expeditious response helps blunt the pain of the tranny failure. So, thank you to Porsche. Porsche NA, I think you should send a thank you to Larry as he handled the customer in a very positive and caring way. You would have had a much more irate client if I didn't feel that my concerns were being addressed.

It has been really interesting to me the range of opinions on the forums regarding this issue. Everybody is entitled to their opinion and I was happy to hear them. My thanks to everybody who chimed in, I picked up some useful info. I will update everybody with what Porsche NA comes back with regarding the warranty extension.

Now I need to get to work getting through the break in miles so I can fully enjoy this spectacular ride. There are some minor cosmetic things I have planned so will post pictures of that as I work my way through them.

A few quick impressions of the car.
Wonderful drive. Chassis feels very well sorted. Suspension very compliant for a sports car yet tons of grip and corners way flat (I have PDCC). Steering is very nicely weighted. Sport PASM with drop rides great, at least in south Florida and looks really sharp. Burmeister is ridiculous. Sounds stunning. Sounds much richer than the Burmeister in my friends Cayenne. Agate grey is a wonderful exterior color. Really rich and love the rims. The inner dark grey perfectly matches the agate. Two tone agate/stone interior is beautiful. I really like it even though I know the stone armrests are going to drive me beyond nuts trying to keep clean. The contrasting stone top stitch on the Agate dash/doors looks great. I don't think this a very practical interior color except for the most fastidious neat freaks. I haven't seen it but the full Agate interior is likely a really nice option as well. Those are my thoughts after 3 hours with the car.

Attached Images     
Old 02-29-2012, 08:59 PM
gleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to behold
I am very glad it worked out for you. Enjoy in good health!

Old 02-29-2012, 09:36 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 911dreamer
I know I was looking at a 997 a while ago, silver, manual trans, every bell and whistle i wanted, then I read through the maintenance history of the car and found out that it had a RMS problem in the past. So I turned it down, and now I'm waiting for the 991.
It does potentially affect resale.
Sounds like you missed out on a great car although the 991 is better if youve got the coin.

IMO you are better off with a car that's had the RMS done, particularly if it is a late 04 early 05 build. That way you know the car has the latest seal fitted along with being thoroughly inspected in that area during the process of changeout. Plus you also get a new clutch a pressure plate. So it's a plus....not a minus. I would hazard a guess there would be many tips running around where owners wouldn't even know they had an RMS issue. These leaks often go unoticed because the leak is usually so minor it never finds its way onto the garage floor. The only way of really telling is sticking a bore scope up through the inspection hole on the housing and how many folks least of all workshops are going to do that.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:01 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Mon3,

That's great news and the car looks awesome. Nice to see you had the little one take her shoes off before getting in...j/k. All the best.

Enjoy

Old 03-01-2012, 08:14 AM
GAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by MOM3NTM
Everybody enjoyed the ride and my daughters new Porsche car seat fit the car and her great. She is 6 fit well back there, not one complaint about being squished.
Do you mind sharing what type of car seat you put in? Pics too if you've got em.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:42 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Congrats on getting the car back and have a fun and safe time!!

ChukJ

Old 03-01-2012, 10:12 AM
911dreamer is infamous around these parts
Glad you got it back so quick!
I have to say...I love the color you chose for the exterior. I went with the darker version of the two tone interior because I was worried about the lighter color getting dirty. How are you liking the Agate grey so far? It looks to me like it would change color tone depending on the light?

Old 03-01-2012, 01:31 PM
MOM3NTM is a jewel in the roughMOM3NTM is a jewel in the roughMOM3NTM is a jewel in the rough
Porsche North America came through

I received a call today from the South Eastern customer service rep from Porsche NA and they extended to me a 2 year warranty extension. In my opinion they handled a really crummy situation quite well and took care of me in an expeditious and fair way. I don't expect to ever use this extra warranty as I don't typically hold cars for over 4 years but the fact that they did this builds a lot of confidence and good will on my part. It will certainly make me strongly consider a Cayenne when my wife is ready for her next car this summer. I asked Porsche NA to contact my salesman's manager at Champion to let them know what a great job he did. I think Larry Reynolds did a great job representing Porsche as a brand and should get a pat on the back for it.

Beyond that I'm looking forward to really enjoying this truly lovely car.

To answer the questions posted earlier. I have the Porsche Car seat plus that I picked up from Suncoast. Fits well. It does not use the latch points, it belts in. My 6 yo daughter was comfortable in it, and trust me if she wasn't she would have let us know. Will post picts when I have a chance.

Agate grey is AWESOME. Truly love the color. Nice rich deep grey. I think it is my favorite dark grey to date. The interior agate looks slightly different than the exterior agate. The interior leather has a subtle brown mixed in with the grey. It is really nice. I really like how the light stone stitch sets off the agate grey dash, looks really sharp. I think this will be a difficult interior to keep clean but shouldn't be too bad in florida without slush and snow. I'm very clean with my cars so it should work for me. I already scotch guarded the carpet and put a lexol leather protectant on the interior.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:37 PM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PT Doc
I don't think you can return a new car. I have had an 04 vw touareg bought back due to engine failure @900 miles. Each state is different but the manufacturer had the right to repair. Know the lemon law for your state is the for any new car buyer.
Yes you can. Here in MO you have a certain amount of days (3 I think) to return it - a lot of people don't know about this.

Also, the dealership that I bought my GT-R took the car back 29 days after I bought it and returned 100% of my money because they could not fix/figure out an annoying rattle coming from the brakes, even after Nissan sent a couple of "fixes" from Dallas...no go.

So, yes, you can return a new car, without using the Lemon Law recourse. It also has to do with how good of a relationship you have had with a dealer and if you have done business with them before.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:41 PM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by j080808
It would certainly effect resale if I were buying it. Faced with this car and another that didnt have major work done, who would pick this one? Look at the potential market for this vehicle 2-3 years down the road, some guy/gal searching the internet for the best car they can find. They have been saving for years, waiting for the day to buy a Porsche and they are looking at vehicle history of this car and others. How a vehicle is maintained and the service history effects resale as much as anything, I would pay more for a higher mileage vehicle with verified regular service than a low mileage vehicle with an unknown service history.

Brand new car, factory fresh and now a tech is replacing the trans, no thanks, replacement car please. The dealer should have no problem at all replacing the vehicle, its PCNA taking the hit, not them. They can replace the trans and turn it into a demo or loaner.

I feel for you, but as pointed out above, it is just metal, plastic and glass, so why not get one thats perfect from the start?
Absolutely agree with this.

It will certainly have a negative effect on re-sale value. I would demand a new car - period.

PS: OP, I may be the only that notice, but, is that a GIRL diving the tow-truck???? Assuming by the gloves she is wearing....

Old 03-01-2012, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by speed21
No offence but this is being OTT and alarmist. There would be no effect to the resale whatsoever.

Changing a gearbox does not represent a major job. Just think of a manual requiring a clutch change out or an engine requiring a RMS replacement. Having a brand new gearbox changed out for another is inconsequential in terms of changes to the vehicle. It (may) be a different story if the failed box was being pulled apart at the dealership and being repaired but it's a like for like brand new change out...no serial number or paperwork changes. Now if it was the engine that was being changed out it would be a diffferent story altogether with the change in engine Nos, but as far as the actual job itself goes, pulling an engine is also no big deal so far as jobs go on a P car in a P car workshop. Chances are the engine may need to be pulled at one stage anyway to do service work.

No one is ever going to bend over and give a new car in this instance as the car is still new with the new gearbox. I'ts not as if they are sticking in a second hand or reconditioned gearbox.
Not to be argumentative, but, let's look at this a different way.

Let's say you are on the market for a 991...with low miles and you find both close to your home. Both have about the same amount of miles, both have the same interior/exterior and you have visited with both owners and have gotten perfect vibes from both.

If you were the buyer...which one would you pick? The one that shows a motor replacement at 10 miles or the one that has the original motor? Again, keep in mind both cars are virtually identical otherwise.

OP: I am glad everything worked out in your favor. Break that puppy in and enjoy!!!!!

Last edited by TAILWAG; 03-01-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:02 PM
19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of
It would not matter to me. A "new" motor or one with 10 miles on it are virtually the same.
It isn't like the transmission, or in your example the motor, was disassembled and rebuilt as the fix. The complete part was replaced with a new, not remanufactured, part.

That repair would be just fine with me.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:30 PM
synergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to behold
It's great to see how Porsche handled this situation!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: “Transmission failure” on night of delivery for 991S PDK