“Transmission failure” on night of delivery for 991S PDK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 07:51 AM
MOM3NTM is a jewel in the roughMOM3NTM is a jewel in the roughMOM3NTM is a jewel in the rough
“Transmission failure” on night of delivery for 991S PDK

“Transmission failure” 991

So after 5 months of waiting and a slight delay because my build was a Sunroof delete I finally took delivery of my Agate 991 S PDK Saturday night. 2 miles from the dealership on the drive home from delivery the car dies. Screen showed a Transmission Failure of some sort. Car shut down into safe mode and would not move. Did not hear any mechanical noises during this. Car would restart but not move. Stuck on side of road until the dealer could collect me in a loaner and the 991 on a flatbed. Needless to say I am beside myself. Find out today what the deal is.

I’ve done some searches on PDK failures and it seems the potential issues range from a simple software glitch to a mechanical failure requiring a transmission replacement. I want my car back soon and if I have to wait 3 weeks for a part from Germany I’m going to lose it. This is my first Porsche and a 5 month wait followed but this is less than ideal (most polite way I could phrase it).

So far my salesman and Dealer have been great. However, when dealing with an issue you get to see how good the customer service truly is. It is inexcusable for a car (especially one this expensive) to die after being driven home from delivery. Porsche might have been at the top of the JD power list but not this time. That being said I really like my salesman and he did everything he could do for me on Saturday night. It was obvious he was as upset as I that this happened. I have every faith the dealer will come through for me and resolve this issue ASAP.

If anybody has been through this before I would appreciate any insight on your issue and how it was resolved. As well as, how fast that resolution took. At what point do I involve Porsche North America? As long as the dealer is taking care of the issue I have no desire to have corporate breathing down their neck. However, I’m not sure if it’s in my best interest to document this with corporate incase the car has issues down the road? For anybody has been through this was the issue completely resolved or did the car continue to have persistent problems? I obviously don’t want to be stuck with a lemon of some sort.

I will post more info as I find out later today. That being said any guidance is appreciated.

Attached Images     
Old 02-27-2012, 08:01 AM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
Fingers crossed for something simple and quick to fix. [subscribed ]

Old 02-27-2012, 08:14 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Wow,

It could be something very simple...for now take a deep breath and relax. Let them get back to you first and then decide what to do.

I am sure they will work it out. Everything they do to the car to fix it should be documented and you should be given copies for your records. No need for PCNA at this time.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:50 AM
GAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to behold
Best of luck for a quick resolution!

Old 02-27-2012, 08:59 AM
mstams is infamous around these parts
Hopefully just a low battery as was the case with some 997.2 PDK cars.

Best of luck!

Old 02-27-2012, 09:15 AM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
I'm not one for standing around and waiting. I'd document this with corporate, get them in on the front end versus the back end. Hopefully it's a minor issue and will be resolved easily. Just let them know what happened and when the issue is fixed let them know that also.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:47 AM
Kief is infamous around these parts
So sorry to read about your situation right after delivery. Like others have mentioned, they will sort it out.

On the positive, your car looks beautiful. Great combination!
Here is to a speedy re-delivery

Old 02-27-2012, 09:59 AM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
This should not happen! Let alone on the day of delivery a transmission failure should be unacceptable for a car of this level any time in the first few years of life. But I am sure it will be resolved by concerned parties. It's a brand new car, they are responsible entirely for corrective action.

Meanwhile I've been giving my pdk a real run for its money, in sport and sport + taking it between 180-200 km/hr at some point every day. Despite some real hard acceleration pdk is behaving so far. I only have a 2 yr warranty so if something is gonna happen, it might as well happen sooner.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:12 AM
OhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to behold
That's terrible, I hope it gets resolved quickly. It's a beautiful car, I can't stop looking at those tail lights.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:18 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Not to jump the gun and I know this will sound extreme to many but I'd look into the lemon laws where you live, which may allow you to return the car within a certain time frame.

If it were me, I'd seriously consider walking away from it no matter how "small" the problem turns out to be, given that you don't want a repair service on your record the same day of delivery.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:28 AM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry.

Know your state`s lemon law so that you are covered. Magnusson Moss in google should give you plenty of reading. It will likely get fixed but know your rights.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:31 AM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by KonaKai
Not to jump the gun and I know this will sound extreme to many but I'd look into the lemon laws where you live, which may allow you to return the car within a certain time frame.

If it were me, I'd seriously consider walking away from it no matter how "small" the problem turns out to be, given that you don't want a repair service on your record the same day of delivery.
I don't think you can return a new car. I have had an 04 vw touareg bought back due to engine failure @900 miles. Each state is different but the manufacturer had the right to repair. Know the lemon law for your state is the for any new car buyer.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:41 AM
PaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to beholdPaulChristian is a splendid one to behold
Sucks that you have to wait once again while getting this resolved, but I a sure they will take the appropriate corrective action.

Also, that is a beautiful color combo. The sharpest 991 I have seen to date. Love those wheels on that color. Excellent choice!!!

Old 02-27-2012, 10:48 AM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
It's probably a software issue. There is a software "lock" on pre-delivery cars that if left undone, if you drive normally, it will render your car un-movable. that's to prevent joy rides prior to delivery inspection. Champion most likely will have to re-set your ECU.
Great car btw, love the tag

Old 02-27-2012, 11:17 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Just relax. Porsche will take care of you.

I know it was disappointing. This is why you should always avoid launch editions. It happens to every gen. Kinks need to be worked out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: “Transmission failure” on night of delivery for 991S PDK