How do you think demand is on the 991?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 12:07 PM
sameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to beholdsameerg is a splendid one to behold
What are the reasons for you gentlemen not liking the 991.
I recently attended the unveiling in my city and thought that it was such a nice refresh.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:39 PM
Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !
Don't get me wrong. As I have stated before, I like the car and am in the market for one. It's just that not many have the money to buy in LA, which will drive down the price of the 991 (at least in LA).

Old 02-28-2012, 12:58 PM
Meatball is infamous around these parts
Porsche says sales for 911s were up 14.9% January compared to January last year with 991C2S' leading at 432 units.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:49 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Meatball
Porsche says sales for 911s were up 14.9% January compared to January last year with 991C2S' leading at 432 units.
In this resession environment, that kind of says it all, doesn't it.

ChuckJ

Old 02-28-2012, 02:40 PM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Inglorious
Hey Sap. It isn't a powder keg. Let me explain what is going on in California.

First of all, there are a lot of differences between California and Texas. Besides the ethnic breakdown, the largest difference I would say is taxes. In Texas, taxes are minimal, which is good for businesses. But taxes are extremely high on the wealthy and corporations in California since class warfare is a hot topic here. So, corporations eventually started to move out of California to Arizona, Texas, or other neighboring states because the cost of business is lower there and taxes are significantly lower. There is a mass efflux of companies out of California, and this results in fewer jobs and less taxes collected from the corporations that would have been here, which created a huge deficit in our budget. How do we fix this deficit in California? We propose more taxes on the wealthy. This starts the vicious downward spiral all over again. Currently, people are tossing around the idea of the millionaire’s tax, which would require those making more than a million to pay more in taxes.

How does this affect Porsche’s sales? I would argue that it affects it indirectly. Higher taxes for corporations in California means corporations pull out of California and fewer high paying jobs, and thus there is a shrinking pool of people who will buy.

Also, another aspect that stirs the pot is that many people in California lost a lot of money during the housing bubble. Yes, I understand almost everyone who bought a house during the housing bubble lost money, but I believe Californians lost more than people in other states. For example, it isn’t uncommon for people in the San Fernando Valley to buy a house for 1.5 million during the peak of the housing bubble when their house is now only worth 600,000 to 700,000. YMMV. People almost lost a million on property values alone, and I highly doubt these people will be going out to buy a new 991 at a 120k a pop when they probably already have a 997 sitting in their garage. Thank God I didn’t buy a house during the housing bubble, which is why I am sitting pretty right now. But that is another discussion for another day.

However, people are pessimistic because they lost a lot of money and are not getting high paying jobs, which is why I don’t think people are buying the 991’s left and right. I smell discounts on 991.1’s coming in the near future for California, which could mean a bigger discount for me.

Texas is obviously doing better, which is probably why demand for 991’s is so high.

Anyways Sap, I hope this gives you a better understanding and contextualizes the challenges that California faces. And to add insult to injury, we spend more money on our criminals (40k) than we spend on our students (30k) per year. No wonder so many people feel like the Californian dream is dying.
While that is some really good information, I was actually looking to understand what mseligson meant by the comment

"There are differences in the mentalities of states too."

That could be interpreted in a manner similar to your response. However, it could also be interpreted other ways. Coming from Jersey, we tend to get a bit sensitive about stuff like this.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:42 PM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
Considering the 991 didn't launch until February, that's not a bad number.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:49 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Sapster
Is a 15% increase impressive considering the pent-up demand for the new model? i'm not so sure. let's see how the numbers trend over the rest of the year.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:51 PM

And they said more than 1500 911s were sold so the 997 is still going strong also.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by KonaKai
Is a 15% increase impressive considering the pent-up demand for the new model? i'm not so sure. let's see how the numbers trend over the rest of the year.
Considering the 991 wasn't available in January, I would say it is. Did I miss something?

Old 02-28-2012, 03:07 PM
No.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really nice
Don't get me wrong. As I have stated before, I like the car and am in the market for one. It's just that not many have the money to buy in LA, which will drive down the price of the 991 (at least in LA).
Not many people in LA that have the money to buy one? I have to laugh at that because I don't believe it. LA county has so many millionaires its not funny. I can't believe you can say that with a straight face. :P

Last edited by No.92; 02-28-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:07 PM
Considering the 991 wasn't available in January, I would say it is. Did I miss something?

I believe the report was for worldwide deliveries. It is on the Porsche website under press releases.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:13 PM
I believe the report was for worldwide deliveries. It is on the Porsche website under press releases.
Fair point, but it certainly wasn't available everywhere. As such, I don't think January's numbers are that easy to interpret. June-August will be a lot more telling.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:24 PM
Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by No.92
Not many people in LA that have the money to buy one? I have to laugh at that because I don't believe it. LA county has so many millionaires its not funny. I can't believe you can say that with a straight face. :P
I was just boiling my post down to its basic points because I didn't want to sound like I hate the 991.

I agree there are a lot of millionaires here in LA, but the number/pool of millionaires who are willing to buy a 120k 991 as of TODAY on Feb 28, 2012 is shrinking, which I stated in my lengthier post. Do you not agree with me, especially compared to where we were in 2006?

Last edited by Inglorious; 02-28-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:08 PM
No.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really nice
I was just boiling my post down to its basic points because I didn't want to sound like I hate the 991.

I agree there are a lot of millionaires here in LA, but the number/pool of millionaires who are willing to buy a 120k 991 as of TODAY on Feb 28, 2012 is shrinking, which I stated in my lengthier post. Do you not agree with me, especially compared to where we were in 2006?
Well, I don't live in So. Cal, but here in No. Cal, it seems like Porsche is doing quite well. So, you may be right about the exodus of people from So. Cal, but I'd think the exodus would be less affluent people would it not? Because they are having a hard time paying the housing costs to live in that area? I think people who were not affected by the economy are the people who would be lining up to buy this car. I dunno, I could be wrong. But you do have to admit, there are lots of millionaires in LA and if they wanted to, they could buy this car. Perhaps the 991 just has so many allocations that they can discount to get more sales. My sales guy with whom I bought our CTT with, he was telling me how just the dealership has so many orders in and that we could modify an order to be custom to my specs instead of using a new allocation and it would reduce the wait time by about 1 month or so. But the point is, they have a lot of orders in and plenty of allocations. With more supply, they can discount to increase revenue. With the CTT, we were fortunate to get any discount because they were and still are selling like hot cakes. Lots of dealers were not discounting at all.

Last edited by No.92; 02-28-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:09 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
Demand seems high and one would expect it to be given so many changes/enhancements.

I've found purchase price will vary state to state and dealer to dealer in the same city. IMO...there is always a better deal to be had just depends on the effort, if that's important to you.

If I were interested in the 991 I would get one now. Next year they'll be talking about future enhancements/models and so on. It never ends...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do you think demand is on the 991?