How do you think demand is on the 991?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 05:15 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
in germany the sales are going through the roof, but that´s because our economy is going through the roof as well, don`t know about the rest of europe tho.
as far as the car is concerned, it is simply amazing, even the ferrari guys i know say, that the new design direction is a mighty step forward and that for the 1st time it looks very elegant & sexy! (of course i agreed, cause looking at the the new Boxster and 911, they are both ahead on the sexometer compared to the new ferraris )

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 02-28-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:16 PM
Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by No.92
Well, I don't live in So. Cal, but here in No. Cal, it seems like Porsche is doing quite well. So, you may be right about the exodus of people from So. Cal, but I'd think the exodus would be less affluent people would it not? Because they are having a hard time paying the housing costs to live in that area? I think people who were not affected by the economy are the people who would be lining up to buy this car. I dunno, I could be wrong. But you do have to admit, there are lots of millionaires in LA and if they wanted to, they could buy this car. Perhaps the 991 just has so many allocations that they can discount to get more sales. My sales guy with whom I bought our CTT with, he was telling me how just the dealership has so many orders in and that we could modify an order to be custom to my specs instead of using a new allocation and it would reduce the wait time by about 1 month or so. But the point is, they have a lot of orders in and plenty of allocations. With more supply, they can discount to increase revenue. With the CTT, we were fortunate to get any discount because they were and still are selling like hot cakes. Lots of dealers were not discounting at all.
Oh I agree there are many millionaires in LA, but I would argue that there are fewer millionaires today then there were in....oh let's say...2006...Lots of people in the valley, which has a lot of millionaires too, lost big money.

But at the end of the day, the 991 is not flying off of the dealer lots for full MSRP here in socal. That maybe going on in other places in world, just not here in LA. I do think there is more supply than demand here in LA.

@catchmyshadow the 991 is a beautiful car and sounds amazing. Best looking 911 to date imho.

Last edited by Inglorious; 02-28-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:03 PM
carcommander is infamous around these parts
New Porsches are always expensive. The good news is there are always a lot of good used ones. I bet most new 991 owners are not millionaires. The studies on millionaires say the don't spend money on cars.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:31 PM
cayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by carcommander
New Porsches are always expensive. The good news is there are always a lot of good used ones. I bet most new 991 owners are not millionaires. The studies on millionaires say the don't spend money on cars.
Mitt Antoinette recently said his wife has couple of Caddies and so on?

Old 02-28-2012, 10:23 PM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by cayenne958
Mitt Antoinette
brilliant!

Old 02-28-2012, 10:53 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Guys a true litmus test would be down here in Aus where one of these cars (C2S) is 320K drive away (not full leather and basic options).....not 130K inc leather + a truck load of options etc. Now if they aren't selling at 130 in USA then don't worry yourselves (because i'm sure P won't be)....just send em all down here and us Aussies will take them of your hands at those give away $.

130K for one of these?....enough already!!

Sheesh. I could pay 335 for a nicely optioned one and get 2 plain hamburgers.... and the delivery driver can use one as a delivery hack.

Last edited by speed21; 02-28-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:06 PM
Banned
ironchef1369 is infamous around these partsironchef1369 is infamous around these partsironchef1369 is infamous around these partsironchef1369 is infamous around these partsironchef1369 is infamous around these partsironchef1369 is infamous around these partsironchef1369 is infamous around these parts
agreed on the best looking 911 but the dealerships have a bunch of these cars already. It's going to be in line with Porsche's new owner's mantra....sell MORE cars.

Was at Newport Porsche this past weekend, and there won't be a shortage.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:30 PM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
This does not distinguish 997 from 991, but nonetheless:

ATLANTA, March 1, 2012 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (PCNA), importer and distributor of Porsche sports cars, Cayenne SUVs and the Panamera four-door sports sedan line-up in the United States, today announced February 2012 sales of 2,149 vehicles. The sales compare to 2019 vehicles sold last year - a 6.4 percent increase.

"We are extremely pleased with our February results, although we are still in the initial stage of launching the new-generation 911 and are awaiting the arrival of the all-new Boxster, which has its world premiere at next week's Geneva Motor Show," said President and CEO, Detlev von Platen. "We are confident that we can turn up our sales momentum a notch or two in the coming months."

Porsche sold 858 911 models, an increase of 111.8 percent. Panamera sales were up 16.6 percent to 511, both compared to the same period last year. Because of limited supply and low dealer inventory Cayenne sales were 659 units compared to 936 in February of last year.

For the month of February 2012, Porsche's Approved Certified Pre-Owned vehicle sales were 693, compared to 650 last year - a 6.6 percent increase.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Bluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ironchef1369
agreed on the best looking 911 but the dealerships have a bunch of these cars already. It's going to be in line with Porsche's new owner's mantra....sell MORE cars.

Was at Newport Porsche this past weekend, and there won't be a shortage.
It's what car companies do, they sell cars.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:45 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mseligson
I'm pretty much a new car guy too. But that said, I purchased a 993 in August 2011, and just recently sold it. No doubt it's a fun car to have, but for people like me, and perhaps you, who always want to have a car feeling brand new, it's tough to own a 15 yo car and actually drive it. Always a new squeak or rattle, a piece of trim fading or breaking, , interior bolster wear...it's always something. I had better luck with a low mileage E36 M3...even though I used it for DE's, it was easier to keep feeling brand new. With the 993 I realized after awhile that it was a losing battle, and that kind of took the fun of ownership out of it for me.
Tommyv,

I've owned my '95 993 for 12 years. It's wonderful. It had 34K miles when I bought it, and it now has 68K. I used to do more miles annually in it because I used to have more free time. The build quality is superb -- it was built when, for example, Porsche still attached the interior door panels with metal fasteners, not plastic clips. And the engines had real dry sumps. It has been in Concours events, on the track, on long trips, and driven in stop-and-go traffic.

It looks basically new, inside and out. There is virtually zero wear on the seats, including the bolsters (yes, I'm careful, but it still has 17 years and 68K miles on those bolsters). It feels nearly new. Nothing squeaks, nothing rattles, nothing shakes. Nothing has ever fallen off. Nothing has faded or broken. The way the doors close -- at 17 years old and 68K miles -- shames every 997 (never mind the 996) I've ever been in. The 991 is much better in that regard, but the 993 beats it.

It has been fantastically reliable. Two years ago, after 10 years of ownership and when the car was 15 years old, was the first time I had to spend some real money to fix anything -- I had to replace the AC evaporator and attend to an oil leak. The total cost for this was about $3000, and they are the only things that I've had to fix on the car. Now, the airbag warning light is on, so that will have to be sorted. That's it, in 12 years on a car with 68K miles -- nothing else has required anything more than routine maintenance.

Whether it's right for you as a true daily driver is, IMO, more an issue of whether you want the newest conveniences that new cars offer. If so, a 993 probably isn't the right choice. But I have no doubt whatsoever that it is easily up to the task of daily use.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:05 AM
I had a 97 C2S for 11 years and traded it for a new 08 turbo which was a better car in all respects. Don't go drive a new 991 is all I have to say.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:03 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
"... better car in all respects." Gotta love those statements of incontrovertible fact. Suffice it to say I disagree.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:50 PM
Bluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud ofBluehinder has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Speedraser
"... better car in all respects." Gotta love those statements of incontrovertible fact. Suffice it to say I disagree.
No reason to take a tone. He's just expressing his opinion. I think most people would agree with him.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:15 PM
I don't think that was a tone, though reasonable people may differ. After posting my experience of my long-term ownership of my 993 to provide additional information for a poster, we were informed that the '08 Turbo was "better in all respects" than a 993. All. Period. This was not presented as an opinion or a point of view, but as a fact.

As I said, I disagree. Surely an '08 Turbo is faster, easier to drive, will go through a corner faster, etc. If that's your definition of "better," then that's that. Then a GT-R is better than an '08 Turbo. IMO, there is more to "better" than that. No 997 I've looked at, been in, or driven has displayed the kind of build integrity that a 993 does. Plastic press-fit clips for door panel attachment is not better than metal fasteners, IMO. Hollow moulded-plastic exterior door handles set into holes simply cut into the door skin is not better than nicely crafted alloy handles, with no crude hole cut in the door skin. Fake metal trim is -- fake. The level of craftsmanship is just different. That doesn't make the 993 a "better car in all respects," but it is better in some respects. The 993 was built before Porsches were built to a price. The 997 was built to a price. A high price, but a price nonetheless. They became the most profitable car manufacturer for a reason.

Of course, from a performance standpoint, as well as ease of use, an '08 Turbo is better by far than a 993. Oh, and I don't think the GT-R is better than a 997 Turbo.

Last edited by Speedraser; 03-03-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:20 PM
All cars with few exceptions are built to a price. And of course all statements are my opinion, but it is an informed one. My 08 Turbo was better in those things that make a Porsche a Porsche in my opinion. I have owned a 87 Targa, 92 Carrera, 95, 96, 97 993, O1, 07,08, turbos,'11 GT3RS, '12 991. I have also have owned several Ferraris and own 599 now. I have driven most sports cars. So my opinion stands.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do you think demand is on the 991?