EVO 991 3.4 Luke warm review!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 07:10 AM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by aamersa
Chris Harris had a positive review of the 991s. Surely the 3.4 had something to do with this underwhelming review.
Rubbish. Harris no longer writes for Evo. It is unrelated.

Let's face it, when ordering a sports car, ponies are everything, and everything else is nothing.
If that what you really think, then what are you doing in a normally aspirated Porsche?

An M3 or GT-R is a far better value proposition if that is your position.

The base 991 just does not make sense financially
To whom?

Seriously, what is with your crusade against the base? You have brought this upseveral times and trying to blame Evo's review on the base car is the weakest argument so far.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:36 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
It will be nice when we get to hear what a current 997 owner feels about his new base 991.

ChuckJ

Old 03-01-2012, 10:09 AM
19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of
I will be sure to let you know early next month!

Old 03-01-2012, 11:39 AM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by PT Doc
350hp is plenty for some.

Aamersa, i'm not sure if you realize but you comments are likely insulting some of those getting a C2. Just thought I'd go out on a limb and post that here.
My comments shouldn't be insulting. Not at all the intent. It really depends on how thin skinned one is or not. If some one gave me an extreme opinion that the 991S is bull****, it still would not bother me, because it is just some one's opinion. But there may be eggshells out there, but you can't live life watching out for those.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:58 AM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Sapster

If that what you really think, then what are you doing in a normally aspirated Porsche?

An M3 or GT-R is a far better value proposition if that is your position.

Seriously, what is with your crusade against the base? You have brought this upseveral times and trying to blame Evo's review on the base car is the weakest argument so far.
I have earlier said that my next car will be more powerful if I can still afford one at that time. The 991S was supposed to be a step up in power from my 550i, which it arguably is in some ways. Next time I fully intend to join the 500-600 hp club.

It's not a crusade just an opinion that the base is under powered and less fun to drive and hence inadequate in my book. I can say this with out having driven one, because I find the the S power to be just barely adequate. So any thing less would automatically be unacceptable. My goal is to have some people at least see the light, and to encourage those on the fence to order an S and thank me later for it. I realize all will not change their orders.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:25 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
I can say this with out having driven one, because I find the the S power to be just barely adequate. So any thing less would automatically be unacceptable. My goal is to have some people at least see the light, and to encourage those on the fence to order an S and thank me later for it. I realize all will not change their orders.
I would imagine you are speaking in terms of power in a straight line.

I doubt you have taken your 991 to a track yet. If ever.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
I would imagine you are speaking in terms of power in a straight line.

I doubt you have taken your 991 to a track yet. If ever.
Correct, I am talking about straight line power. I have never been on a track.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:38 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Correct, I am talking about straight line power. I have never been on a track.
Sure...In a straight line you probable can never have enough power...but for tracking, and miles of winding roads the 350 is plenty. Especially if you have some b*lls.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
Sure...In a straight line you probable can never have enough power...but for tracking, and miles of winding roads the 350 is plenty. Especially if you have some b*lls.
I have never suggested that the 350 is a slouch. But when there is that option to get that extra growl and that extra brutish pull (torque), how can one resist? Don't resist the 991 "S", the S stands for sport, and the 911 is after all a sports car. So put a crow bar in your wallet if you have to and go for it. You only live once.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:06 PM
19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of
If your definition of having enough power is total BHP and straight line reformance then you have wasted your time and money on a Porsche. That is not the design intent of the brand. In fact, it is not the design intent of any real sports car.

I would challenge you in an S with me in a base car on a track and even with the extra 50 BHP you would find that it would not be easy to beat the base car anywhere but in a straight line.

If straight line speed is what you want with lots of horsepower, I respectfully suggest you leave Porsche and go look at Corvettes or some other modified muscle car. When you do this please remember that at the end of the straight there will be an actual curved bit of road that the car will need to deal with. I bet when you get there you will be wishing that you "straight line" performance car could actually slow down and turn!

Old 03-01-2012, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by 19hole
If your definition of having enough power is total BHP and straight line reformance then you have wasted your time and money on a Porsche. That is not the design intent of the brand. In fact, it is not the design intent of any real sports car.

I would challenge you in an S with me in a base car on a track and even with the extra 50 BHP you would find that it would not be easy to beat the base car anywhere but in a straight line.

If straight line speed is what you want with lots of horsepower, I respectfully suggest you leave Porsche and go look at Corvettes or some other modified muscle car. When you do this please remember that at the end of the straight there will be an actual curved bit of road that the car will need to deal with. I bet when you get there you will be wishing that you "straight line" performance car could actually slow down and turn!
That would be one way to rationalize or justify the reduction in power and engine size, that it turns just at well. Needless to say that even with the S, all the same dynamic cornering abilities are also included & standard goodies include PTV (which includes lsd). In sum the S is sportier and faster, really a no brainer, hence the designation.

This is just a classic debate S vs base, just like MT vs. Pdk, and it basically comes down to whether it is worth spending the add'l $14K. I would say yes, without hesitation.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:42 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 19hole

+1

And for a company that's deliberately tapering manuals off, they sure spent a lot of money and wasted a lot of time developing a 7 speed version of it to go with 50% of it's largest market ordering them (even with a delay on the production of it).

Your wild speculations leave much to be desired. And you should spend more time around Porsche people to understand that not everybody wants more HP in their 911. And the WHOLE idea is to get someone into a 3.4 and make them want a 3.6 for their next car, and a GT3 for the next car and a GT2 after that. Happens quite frequently.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:10 PM
I have never suggested that the 350 is a slouch. But when there is that option to get that extra growl and that extra brutish pull (torque), how can one resist? Don't resist the 991 "S", the S stands for sport, and the 911 is after all a sports car. So put a crow bar in your wallet if you have to and go for it. You only live once.

IMO there are HP cars and sports cars. Some cars are both. But many drivers can only drive them one way.

How does the saying go?....its more fun to learn how to drive a slow car fast...than a fast car slow...

or something to that effect.

Nothing wrong with getting the extra HP but not necessary for all.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:16 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
The 991S was supposed to be a step up in power from my 550i, which it arguably is in some ways. Next time I fully intend to join the 500-600 hp club.
I have to desagree on this one, your 360hp e60 550i cant keep up with my 407hp twin turbo F10 550i, and mine felt like a cow compared to the Base Carrera with PDK I test drove a couple of weeks ago, and I mean in straight line and under normal driving conditions, the Base was a blast.
Even though I have not driven an S, I am comfident that mine (on order) will be even more fun, but the base is a very well balanced and fast car.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by galion
Even though I have not driven an S, I am comfident that mine (on order) will be even more fun, but the base is a very well balanced and fast car.
So we are in agreement then on above.

Of course the 550i is a cow based purely on its size and weight compared to any 911, but at 407 hp it is no less powerful than the 991S. My point was that the 991S is a little more powerful than my 360 hp 5 series, but not by as much as I would have liked. Also comparing v6s and v8s is a bit like apples and oranges.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EVO 991 3.4 Luke warm review!