EVO 991 3.4 Luke warm review!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by aamersa
So we are in agreement then on above.

Of course the 550i is a cow based purely on its size and weight compared to any 911, but at 407 hp it is no less powerful than the 991S. My point was that the 991S is a little more powerful than my 360 hp 5 series, but not by as much as I would have liked. Also comparing v6s and v8s is a bit like apples and oranges.
You're really losing credibility now.

The 991 has a flat 6, not a v6.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:39 PM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
This Pistonheads poster seems to quite like the 3.4 (link to thread included below):

There isn't a lot of info on this model, which made it very tricky deciding whether to take this, or stretch for an S. But today I took delivery of a very base car and here are my first impressions: Mine has only sports/heated seats/rear parking sensors, and it's on 19s. So it's as basic as you like, but in white it looks stunning. Because the car is a touch wider and 7mm lower than my gen 1 997 Carrera, it does look 'noticeably' lower. When mated together with the slightly higher tyre walls applicable to the 19 inch rims, the car looks well wheeled. Do I prefer it to the 20s? Not sure I actually have any preference - a touch of relief there. I also previously owned a gen 1 GT3, and one of the reasons I sold it, was that I drive quite a lot on B roads and the GT3 was often too firmly sprung for them - although sublime on A roads... I cannot speak for the 991S, but the 3.4 on 19s is definitely a B road car. It rides beautifully. Never harsh, but exceptionally well damped. It 'reminds' me a little of a Boxster on 18s, but less choppy front to back. The nose doesn't really bob anymore and the car feels heavier and better planted at the front. The steering rack is more positive than my previous Porsches which makes quarter to three driving easier and thus more rewarding. The car turns in soooooo positively now. Love that. Whilst you could say a touch of feel has gone out the steering, I like this, because the tram-lining affect appears almost absent. However as you press on, the steering feel is all there there - just as you would wish for. Yes, the steering is a little different, but it is definitely not inferior. The gearbox is lighter than my GT3, and the throws are nicely similar. Performance wise, I can't report on that yet as I'm going fairly easy at the moment. But because the engine is slightly quieter and revs further, it isn't an issue finding the torque a little higher in the rev range. Obviously it will not compete with an 991S in this regard, but as you stretch towards 5000 you feel the engine about to burst into life. I like the feeling of increasing power at the top end of the rev range rather than linear a response - and so I sense some excitement to come. My gut feeling? The 3.4 is a gem of a car waiting to be discovered.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1119497

Old 03-01-2012, 02:42 PM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Sapster
You're really losing credibility now.

The 991 has a flat 6, not a v6.
That's partly what these forums are for. Enlightenment. So any one care to elaborate what the difference between a flat 6 and a v6 is?

Old 03-01-2012, 02:50 PM
19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of
It is the general shape of the engine blaock and how the pistons are in relation to each other. In a "v" engine the two rows of pistons avtually form a "V" shape if you look at the engine end-on. In a "flat" engine the pistons are directly opposed to each other 180 degrees apart.

The later ha some significant performance advantages; it makess the engines shorter and that means it can go lower to the ground. This lowers the cars CG and improves the handling.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:52 PM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
Assuming your question was serious a V6 engine has 3 cylinders in each side rising from the block in the shape of a V, hence the term "V6". A flat six, as found in P cars, has a horizontally opposed bank of cylinders so the motor appears "flat". google pics and you will see.

With regard to the base vs S debate a few months ago I drove my base car to the dealer and drove a PDK GTS and a manual 2012 S. The GTS was noticeable faster but the S car with 385hp was very comparable and truthfully I could not tell much difference. This may or may not be the case with the 991 but I actually like the idea of a smaller revvy motor with less torque but more power up top. I could easily afford the S or even the turbo for that matter so my decision was based on my lack of financial resources for the more powerful car, but simply a matter of personal preference for the smaller motor.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
That's partly what these forums are for. Enlightenment. So any one care to elaborate what the difference between a flat 6 and a v6 is?
I can't believe you own a Porsche and not know this. Please tell me you know the engine is not in the front.

The link below shows pictures and diagrams of flat engine's and a v engine.Look at the small green diagram at top. Google has plenty of info to educate you or you can go to your dealer and they will give you a 991 product book....go to the engine section and become familiar with the elementary flat engine design that makes the 911 so famous.

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=pi...w&ved=0CCQQsAQ

Last edited by speed21; 03-01-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:56 PM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 19hole
It is the general shape of the engine blaock and how the pistons are in relation to each other. In a "v" engine the two rows of pistons avtually form a "V" shape if you look at the engine end-on. In a "flat" engine the pistons are directly opposed to each other 180 degrees apart.

The later ha some significant performance advantages; it makess the engines shorter and that means it can go lower to the ground. This lowers the cars CG and improves the handling.
Thanks. You learn something every day. It's good to know that the 911 has sportier 6 cylinder engine than the v6.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by speed21
I can't believe you own a Porsche and not know this.
Well I had heard the term "flat 6" quite a few times but never thought it worthwhile to look up what it meant.

Last edited by aamersa; 03-01-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by tromero
Assuming your question was serious a V6 engine has 3 cylinders in each side rising from the block in the shape of a V, hence the term "V6". A flat six, as found in P cars, has a horizontally opposed bank of cylinders so the motor appears "flat". google pics and you will see.

With regard to the base vs S debate a few months ago I drove my base car to the dealer and drove a PDK GTS and a manual 2012 S. The GTS was noticeable faster but the S car with 385hp was very comparable and truthfully I could not tell much difference. This may or may not be the case with the 991 but I actually like the idea of a smaller revvy motor with less torque but more power up top. I could easily afford the S or even the turbo for that matter so my decision was based on my lack of financial resources for the more powerful car, but simply a matter of personal preference for the smaller motor.
Thanks for the clarification. Now I understand.

As far as the debate, I am not trying to impose my view on any one. If it is a personal preference to get the 3.4 so be it. Nothing wrong with that. Even I agree that the S is not something that I absolutely need, but it is something I would want more than a base. Not necessary for all indeed.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:19 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Well I had heard the term "flat 6" quite a few times but never thought it worthwhile to look up what it meant.
You are a funny man to not think what makes your very beautiful car tick.

I must say your above quote belongs in the 6 speedonline book of "one liner" bombshells....if they have a book that is. If not bbywu needs to create a sticky for the best one liners on this board because your quote has got be one of the funniest things i have read here on 6....seriously. That will definitely go down as one of the all time classics for sure.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:31 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
this thread is too funny...

it started with giving advice on passing on the base...

http://www.evo.co.uk/videos/supercar...34_driven.html

Any one ordering a base still has time to reconsider.
to mechanical lessons on what someone just spent 100K+ on.

People spend more time picking out TV's.

Nothing wrong with this but it is funny....

Last edited by buck986; 03-01-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
You are a funny man to not think what makes your very beautiful car tick.

I must say your above quote belongs in the 6 speedonline book of "one liner" bombshells....if they have a book that is. If not bbywu needs to create a sticky for the best one liners on this board because your quote has got be one of the funniest things i have read here on 6....seriously. That will definitely go down as one of the all time classics for sure.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
this thread is too funny...

it started with giving advice on passing on the base...

to mechanical lessons on what someone just spent 100K+ on.

People spend more time picking out TV's.

too funny
True it only took a few days from the time I first ever considered buying a 911, to the time I ordered one. I was actually in the market for an e63 amg but pricing pissed me off, it costs $150k here compared to the $90k or so you would pay in the US.
I had a couple of friends suggest 911 as an alternative. Obviously, they didn't relate to my desire for a sports sedan. At the same time I heard an all new model was coming that would be "bigger" and the thought became more attractive. I went to the showroom and found out it would also have most of the basic luxuries I would want in a car and the decision was made.
I am the new market porsche is trying to attract. Would never get a hardcore sports car, and never consider a MT, but a sports car with the basic luxuries one expects today and I am sold. And I will always crave bigger engines and more hp. But I know the future is forced induction, this may have to be my last naturally aspirated one.

Last edited by aamersa; 03-01-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:02 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
Yep amersa may not have realised it but that was truly brilliant. To have actually read something like that on a Porsche enthusiast forum is history in the making...well for me anyway. I cried tears of laughter when i read it. I reckon Seinfeld would probably pay money for that one....being a Porsche fanatic and all.

rep to you amersa for coming out with that.. I gotta hand it to you man,you've got *****. Now please go and get yourself educated .

Old 03-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Yep amersa may not have realised it but that was truly brilliant. To have actually read something like that on a Porsche enthusiast forum is history in the making...well for me anyway. I cried tears of laughter when i read it. I reckon Seinfeld would probably pay money for that one....being a Porsche fanatic and all.

rep to you amersa for coming out with that.. I gotta hand it to you man,you've got *****. Now please go and get yourself educated .
So glad I could entertain you guys. My pleasure

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EVO 991 3.4 Luke warm review!