EVO 991 3.4 Luke warm review!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 04:28 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by aamersa
http://www.evo.co.uk/videos/supercar...34_driven.html

Any one ordering a base still has time to reconsider.
still unsure what the video has to do with 3.4 carrera..

fyi its a boxer flat six engine.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:49 PM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
That's partly what these forums are for. Enlightenment. So any one care to elaborate what the difference between a flat 6 and a v6 is?
This is EXCELLENT! I am going to make this my signature, its that good. And then giving advice on what is a good variant vs not.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:13 PM
gleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to behold
That's partly what these forums are for. Enlightenment. So any one care to elaborate what the difference between a flat 6 and a v6 is?

Check out post 7.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-an-order.html

How can you appreciate the qualities of your own car, when you don't know what makes it tick?

Old 03-01-2012, 06:30 PM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
This thread has been great with showing your true being and all.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:43 PM
GAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to behold
So glad I could entertain you guys. My pleasure
I commend you for being 100% honest and transparent.

Enjoy the car in good health and yes, you may want to research a bit on the flat six Wiki actually has a great page on the 911.

Last edited by GAM3OVR; 03-01-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:49 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GAM3OVR
I commend you for being 100% honest and transparent.

Enjoy the car in good health and yes, you may want to research a bit on the flat six Wiki actually has a great page on the 911.
I agree. We are all having a little fun here but the main thing is we come here to learn and enjoy.

aamersa,

You have a great car. Enjoy it in good health and with lots of miles of inspired and awesome driving.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:57 AM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by PT Doc
This is EXCELLENT! I am going to make this my signature, its that good. And then giving advice on what is a good variant vs not.
It's not like you need to be an automotive engineer to realize that bigger engine variant and more hp, is better than smaller engine and less power with all the other stuff being equal.

Most forum opinions, like mine, are based on common sense, as they should be, rather than on a deep understanding of physics, chemistry, mathematics etc....

Last edited by aamersa; 03-02-2012 at 05:06 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:04 AM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by gleek48
Check out post 7.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-an-order.html

How can you appreciate the qualities of your own car, when you don't know what makes it tick?
I don't think it is necessary to understand the internal workings of the car to fully appreciate and cherish it's performance, handling etc.. That stuff can be fun to know for some I agree, but not necessary for all who may still enjoy and appreciate the car. The internal mechanics are for Porsche R & D to worry about, and its engineers. I just enjoy the end product and the results of their hard work, which is what I am paying for.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:38 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
FWIW, Richard Meaden's EVO review captures my feelings about the 991 and PDK very accurately.

I'm still trying to convince myself that I like it at least as much as the 997, but am not there yet. Hopefully a more aggressive variant (eg, GT3) will do the trick, but much of the lovable character of the 997 may be gone for good, given the longer wheelbase, wider track, and more 'balanced' weight distribution of the 991. Yes, higher and more accessible performance, but not necessarily more fun when driven at less than 10/10 or even 9/10.

On the 991 steering, it should have been better than the 997, not 'almost as good', and IMO a little fuel savings isn't a good excuse for going backwards in steering feel in a sports car.

On the issue of power, more is usually better (up to a limit), but I suspect that the base 991 has plenty of power for a driver who's engaged enough to keep the revs properly high. None of these Porsche engines seem to come alive until at least 3K rpm anyway, and Porsches aren't meant to be dragsters.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:16 PM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
aamersa, I hate to kick you when you are down, but I just finished reading the full Evo review. They choose the 3.4 over the 3.8 -

"...as a package it (the 3.4 C2) gels and retains more feel and connection than the 3.8 we had, so right now it is the one we would choose."

The C2S had PDCC, the C2 had only the base suspension (No PASM).

Old 03-02-2012, 12:20 PM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
It's not like you need to be an automotive engineer to realize that bigger engine variant and more hp, is better than smaller engine and less power with all the other stuff being equal.

Most forum opinions, like mine, are based on common sense, as they should be, rather than on a deep understanding of physics, chemistry, mathematics etc....
or cars, driving or any of that other pesky stuff....

Old 03-02-2012, 01:35 PM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
ahhh vindication. I"m glad to see some pros agree with my choice.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sapster
aamersa, I hate to kick you when you are down, but I just finished reading the full Evo review. They choose the 3.4 over the 3.8 -

"...as a package it (the 3.4 C2) gels and retains more feel and connection than the 3.8 we had, so right now it is the one we would choose."

Interesting, and good to know that. Maybe a base 991 without bells and whistles, and with MT, would have more of what I like in the 997 as compared to the 991S with PDK.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by Sapster

Looks like this thread is dominated by basers. The Sers are too busy enjoying their cars out there, to be able to participate, while the first bases are yet to become available in the US.

I may be perceived as down by some, while that is just a perception, I am certainly not out.

Well of course a car with PDCC will feel less connected than a base car without. If it isn't already obvious I have been a proponent of the S with the xtra ponies and xtra 0.4l, not necessarily the PDCC which can presumably make for an unnatural or artificial dynamic.

For those that have ordered the PDCC, I have no issues with their choice, but I just have felt no need for it so far.

An endless argument can be made that a base is quite adequate power wise, but even if one agrees, it's always worth it to be better than adequate. We are all in the luxury car market after all. Bigger tires and bigger brakes, more ponies all make for a more badass car. For those wishing to be more civil, I recommend the base. Which camp do you want to be in?

Old 03-02-2012, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by tromero
ahhh vindication. I"m glad to see some pros agree with my choice.
Which pros are you referring too? Obviously the base pros. But there are other categories of pros out there, namely the the S pros and the turbo pros and the GT pros, most of whom are refraining from this classic debate cause they are tired of it and probably can't be bothered. Perhaps I will become tired of it soon enough too. But I have no ambition to be a pro, just claim to be some one with common sense ( which is not very common indeed).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EVO 991 3.4 Luke warm review!