EVO 991 3.4 Luke warm review!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by aamersa
Which pros are you referring too? Obviously the base pros. But there are other categories of pros out there, namely the the S pros and the turbo pros and the GT pros, most of whom are refraining from this classic debate cause they are tired of it and probably can't be bothered. Perhaps I will become tired of it soon enough too. But I have no ambition to be a pro, just claim to be some one with common sense ( which is not very common indeed).
By pro, I think he meant the Evo journalists.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:16 PM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
Looks like this thread is dominated by basers. The Sers are too busy enjoying their cars out there, to be able to participate, while the first bases are yet to become available in the US.

I may be perceived as down by some, while that is just a perception, I am certainly not out.

Well of course a car with PDCC will feel less connected than a base car without. If it isn't already obvious I have been a proponent of the S with the xtra ponies and xtra 0.4l, not necessarily the PDCC which can presumably make for an unnatural or artificial dynamic.

For those that have ordered the PDCC, I have no issues with their choice, but I just have felt no need for it so far.

An endless argument can be made that a base is quite adequate power wise, but even if one agrees, it's always worth it to be better than adequate. We are all in the luxury car market after all. Bigger tires and bigger brakes, more ponies all make for a more badass car. For those wishing to be more civil, I recommend the base. Which camp do you want to be in?
You started the thread with a "Look the base is crap. Evo says so."-type comment. It turns out that Evo says the base is preferable to the S(that they tested). I guess Evo is no longer as highly regarded in your eyes now that they are not confirming your purchase? Interesting logic.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:19 PM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Sapster
By pro, I think he meant the Evo journalists.
Ok, if he meant those pros, they just didn't react well to the PDCC. Having been accustomed to the 997 experience and feedback the PDCC was just a little too much for them to absorb and they didn't want any of it. But a note to all, that a 991S can be ordered without PDCC, in fact most US inventory is without it.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:23 PM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
You started the thread with a "Look the base is crap. Evo says so."-type comment. It turns out that Evo says the base is preferable to the S(that they tested). I guess Evo is no longer as highly regarded in your eyes now that they are not confirming your purchase? Interesting logic.
No I still agree with Evo. No comment of mine has discredited them. They obviously prefer a car without PDCC as I do for normal use (non-track).

If I were Evo I would also recommend the base, while at the same time lust for the S, cause with the atrocious gas prices in Europe smaller is more practical.

Last edited by aamersa; 03-02-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:46 PM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
Aamersa, this is your first 911 so I can understand your being somewhat uninformed. I have owned 8 different 911's since 1994 including a 1989 base car, 1990 C2 cab, 1995 C2 cab, 1997 C2S (the "S" at this time did not include a bigger motor but instead wider fenders), a 2007 997 and a 2009 997.2 as well as a 991 on the way. I think I enjoyed driving the 1997 C2S the most and it had 282 bhp. What I look for in the newer cars is which one can most accurately duplicate the feeling from that car and the base cars I have driven to date offer the most fun driving experience and I have tried the S models as well. For me FUN is what it's all about. If bigger were better we would all be banging fat chicks. For the record the "pros" I was referring to are the journalists themselves who have also driven all manner of 911. You have no frame of reference since you have never owned any previous variant and without that history you are unable to appreciate the pure simplicity of the base car. I'm sure we could all get Segway machines which would get us from point A to point B "faster" but sometimes I want to take my shoes off and just walk and feel the ground beneath my feet, hence, my love for the base car.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:08 PM
I am reaching the conclusion that the base lovers are just about as die hard as the MT lovers. The MT option will probably not be around for too much longer but I expect the base option will remain.
Perhaps my attempt to convert some of you from base to S is just plain futile and since I am not getting paid for this, I would be better off spending my energy just enjoying my S car until I upgrade to something with more hp. To all of you base lovers, I hope you enjoy it fully.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:04 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
^ this

Old 03-02-2012, 04:15 PM
warnica is infamous around these parts
I am just puzzled why so few want these cars to evolve. It was also true with 997, 996, etc.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:18 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Which pros are you referring too? Obviously the base pros. But there are other categories of pros out there, namely the the S pros and the turbo pros and the GT pros, most of whom are refraining from this classic debate cause they are tired of it and probably can't be bothered. Perhaps I will become tired of it soon enough too. But I have no ambition to be a pro, just claim to be some one with common sense ( which is not very common indeed).
there are drivers and posers and porcupines....nothing to do with common sense.

Many pro reviews of the 997 stated that the base was more fun to drive since you had to DRIVE IT to keep it performing.

I went to PSDS and the pro drivers/instructors of porsche told be there that if I wanted to hone my skills and become a good driver get a base 997 and learn to drive the hell out of it.

Some people look at numbers on a paper, other live through their skills and want to enjoy the experience of driving a car to it full potential.

You want a few seconds of thrust and your satisfied....120K for that?...and I have no common sense? Right.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:18 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
I am reaching the conclusion that the base lovers are just about as die hard as the MT lovers. The MT option will probably not be around for too much longer but I expect the base option will remain.
Perhaps my attempt to convert some of you from base to S is just plain futile and since I am not getting paid for this, I would be better off spending my energy just enjoying my S car until I upgrade to something with more hp. To all of you base lovers, I hope you enjoy it fully.
dude.. u r hopeless.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:52 PM
gleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to behold
I don't think it is necessary to understand the internal workings of the car to fully appreciate and cherish it's performance, handling etc.. That stuff can be fun to know for some I agree, but not necessary for all who may still enjoy and appreciate the car. The internal mechanics are for Porsche R & D to worry about, and its engineers. I just enjoy the end product and the results of their hard work, which is what I am paying for.
I was only pointing out that in your other RL post you said that people who drive in 911's need to appreciate what they have (while also negatively stereotyping women). You have no clue as to what you have. I am pretty sure a dealer could have sold you a base and painted the brakes red and you wouldn't know the difference.

Also, I am sure that myself and many others would disagree with your assertion that HP is everything in a sports car. I've seen drivers in relatively low HP miata's and Lotus' own folks with much higher HP vehicles on the track. I know you said that you don't track your car, which is a shame btw, but if that's the case get a true GT car that has more HP or a sport-y car with high HP.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by warnica
I am just puzzled why so few want these cars to evolve. It was also true with 997, 996, etc.
No disagreement that we want them to evolve, but the question is in what direction. If higher objective performance numbers come at the expense of subjective involvement and fun, many would say a wrong turn was taken. But of course subjective means subjective, hence the disagreement on whether the 991 is more fun.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:27 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
[quote=aamersa;3473194]
Thats some conclusion you've got going on over there aamersa. So perhaps then we should all write into P and ask them to please kill the MT and base car now and end our pain and sufferance Phew. Thank god you are not selling your services as a fortune teller.

Perhaps my attempt to convert some of you from base to S is just plain futile and since I am not getting paid for this, I would be better off spending my energy just enjoying my S car until I upgrade to something with more hp.
Ahh.. so the thread was about converting? Ok. Maybe the non S guys can pitch in a few bucks so you can continue helping them to junk out of their base MT cars then?

To all of you base lovers, I hope you enjoy it fully.
C'mon aamersa no need for sour grapes. Just dust yourself off, apologise and make peace with your 991 brethren. Sheesh! Now look whats going on, ..some of the 997 guys are back at pushing their own barrows again. Enough already!

Last edited by speed21; 03-02-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:53 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
[quote=aamersa;3473161]
No I still agree with Evo.
Im not following you So is no a yes?

If I were Evo I would also recommend the base, while at the same time lust for the S,
Let it go man. This is not healthy.

cause with the atrocious gas prices in Europe smaller is more practical.
So they can afford the car but not the juice?

aamersa. Please... enough already! The hole keeps getting deeper....

Old 03-02-2012, 09:26 PM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
Aamersa, no reason to try to convert people. How about letting people just do as they feel?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EVO 991 3.4 Luke warm review!