EVO 991 3.4 Luke warm review!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 09:05 AM
SRW
SRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond repute
Porsche needs to do a background check + IQ test on every buyer from now on before getting their orders in, this is so embarrassing and all of this is happening in 2012

Old 03-03-2012, 12:53 PM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by SRW
Porsche needs to do a background check + IQ test on every buyer from now on before getting their orders in, this is so embarrassing and all of this is happening in 2012
I agree about the IQ test, but it should be done on any one before they are allowed to post on any porsche forums. Porsche needs all the sales they can get regardless of IQ.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:13 PM
DS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to behold
Love this thread. Subscribing...

Most Porsche buyers have drooled and learnt about the car for years before they buy their first one.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:03 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DS997c2s

Most Porsche buyers have drooled and learnt about the car for years before they buy their first one.
Yes good thread,

Stay tuned

Old 03-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by aamersa
I agree about the IQ test, but it should be done on any one before they are allowed to post on any porsche forums. Porsche needs all the sales they can get regardless of IQ.
Too funny aamersa. But total nonsense as usual.
The truth is that the majority of folks buying Porsches often know at least as much or in some cases more than than the sales guy selling the car. OK. You being an acception of course, doing the honerable thing of helping poor old Porsches out with their struggling sales. I hope they sent a thankyou note.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:46 AM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by DS997c2s

I never drooled over a porsche, my order was placed within 4 days of me first having considered purchasing one. It was all about timing. I was in the market for a new car and heard that the all new 911 was coming out and it all clicked. So the learning part I am doing later.

Having said that I do recall drooling over the 928 S when I was in high school and still not licensed to drive. Since that age I did drool over ferraris as well but the practical side of me now, places just as heavy an importance on reliability, reasonable maintenance costs and daily drivability as I obviously do on power and performance. That being so my ferrari dream will probably never materialize. Also, now I hold this belief that german engineering is just more reliable than italian.

I was never a fan of the 911 and don't like its previous shapes, except that I think the 997 started looking ok, and the 991 is a definite improvement. I have a banker good friend who owned a 997, and also some other banker acquaintances who owned 997s, but I never so much as asked to test drive it ever.

The 550i was the first luxury car I owned and though I was always very satisfied with it, I always asked myself why I didn't just get the M5 instead since I could have afforded it. Since I keep my cars a few years, I figured I'd get the e63 next as I didn't want to get another 5 series after a 5 series. When the time came the 50% premium over US prices and suggestions by friends to look at the 911 instead, made me visit porsche and book a test drive. By the day of the test drive 3 days later I was already committed to the idea of getting my first porsche, and even though I found the test drive of the white 2012 GTS if anything underwhelming, I placed my 991 order immediately after the drive. So in my second visit to porsche showroom the order was placed.

Having fun with it so far, the dynamics are completely different from all the previous sedans and suvs that I have driven. My 550i, now feels like a ship. Time will tell if I ever go back to a normal car or get addicted to the sports car dynamics.

Last edited by aamersa; 03-06-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:50 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by aamersa
Having fun with it so far, the dynamics are completely different from all the previous sedans and suvs that I have driven. My 550i, now feels like a ship. Time will tell if I ever go back to a normal car or get addicted to the sports car dynamics.
you'll get addicted...the question is how much and if its enough to someday track your beast.

Time will tell

Old 03-07-2012, 10:56 AM
Though I have not given a serious thought yet to tracking, I am certainly open minded to the possibility.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:39 AM
MTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to beholdMTheory is a splendid one to behold
I'm coming into this late, but here's my take on the new 911. I took it for a test drive, which I would admit was not long enough, but I was able to get a decent sense of what the car has to offer. I drove the PORSCHE 911 Carrera S, as indicated in the way too chromed out explanation literature glued to the rear of the car. It's funny how the most recognizable sports car in the world needs a shiny bunch of letters so everyone knows exactly what it is.
The best way I can describe the experience is that the engineers at Porsche have been able to turn the 911 into a two door Panamera. The interior is straight out of the Panamera and the feel of the car is sedan-like. It feels big and heavy, more like an M3 than a 911. I didn't feel that seat of your pants sensation that used to be a 911 trademark. The 911 used to be a car you felt you were "wearing," like a favorite leather jacket. Completely connected and sensing each bump and curve in the road. This new 911 has more of the "fly by wire" feel.

Workmanship and quality is first class. The car has a nice look. I like the new design. The S is super fast and the PDK is flawless. The gauges are space age and very well laid out. The car is very comfortable, obviously, since it feels so big. I'm not sure what's in store for the higher performance models like the Turbo, GT3, and GT2, but I hope they get back the old 911 spirit. On the bright side, if you want a very fast, well built sedan that looks like a 911, this is your car.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:13 AM
Joe6pack is infamous around these parts
aamersa - I just had to chime in here. You really should learn more about cars if you plan to post on message boards - particularly Porsche boards. As someone said earlier, these guys know more about cars than the salesmen.

Now, let me let you in on a little secret. When you floor your beloved 991 with all it's massive hp and torque, you are not getting 100% of it. The electronics won't let you. The way a 991, 997 and most modern cars handle power is by metering it out in such a way that the driver, chassis and tires can handle it. Porsche has gone the way of most manufacturers in loading their cars up with all sorts of wizardry (traction control, yaw control, launch control, etc.) all designed to keep you from killing yourself. So more power, probably isn't going to do you or me any good. Some guy in a white lab coat in Stuttgart saw to that.

Do yourself a favor. Go find someone with an '87-89 Carrera and give it a go. I'm sure you can find someone willing to trade seats with you for a few minutes. It won't have airbags, anti-lock brakes, power steering or traction control to get in the way of the driving experience. No, the power is not jaw dropping, but the dynamics are unlike anything you have probably ever experienced.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:26 AM
larrytrk is infamous around these parts
You haven't lived, if you haven't done an unexpected 360 in a 76 911S!
I love my 09 S PDK, but it certainly is not as exciting to drive at times, except going head to head with a beefy Camero, on the twisties, in New Mexico.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:39 AM
YoopsRacing is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MTheory
The best way I can describe the experience is that the engineers at Porsche have been able to turn the 911 into a two door Panamera. The interior is straight out of the Panamera and the feel of the car is sedan-like. It feels big and heavy, more like an M3 than a 911. I didn't feel that seat of your pants sensation that used to be a 911 trademark. The 911 used to be a car you felt you were "wearing," like a favorite leather jacket. Completely connected and sensing each bump and curve in the road. This new 911 has more of the "fly by wire" feel.

On the bright side, if you want a very fast, well built sedan that looks like a 911, this is your car.
This was 100% my experience also. I did not care for it after having 996 and 997s. I have never drank the panamera coolaid either. Sorry I hate it, hate it hate it. I think I will keep my GT3 or upgrade to a 3.8 or 4.0. 991 is not in my future. I am reluctantly more excited about the new Gt500 than the new 991 GT3....sad.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by Joe6pack
aamersa - I just had to chime in here. You really should learn more about cars if you plan to post on message boards - particularly Porsche boards. As someone said earlier, these guys know more about cars than the salesmen.

Now, let me let you in on a little secret. When you floor your beloved 991 with all it's massive hp and torque, you are not getting 100% of it. The electronics won't let you. The way a 991, 997 and most modern cars handle power is by metering it out in such a way that the driver, chassis and tires can handle it. Porsche has gone the way of most manufacturers in loading their cars up with all sorts of wizardry (traction control, yaw control, launch control, etc.) all designed to keep you from killing yourself. So more power, probably isn't going to do you or me any good. Some guy in a white lab coat in Stuttgart saw to that.

Do yourself a favor. Go find someone with an '87-89 Carrera and give it a go. I'm sure you can find someone willing to trade seats with you for a few minutes. It won't have airbags, anti-lock brakes, power steering or traction control to get in the way of the driving experience. No, the power is not jaw dropping, but the dynamics are unlike anything you have probably ever experienced.
good first post...welcome

Old 03-20-2012, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by larrytrk
You haven't lived, if you haven't done an unexpected 360 in a 76 911S!
LOL...

Old 03-20-2012, 11:53 AM
Enrico Verdolin is infamous around these parts
Lukewarm review?

Whish I had the money to buy one!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EVO 991 3.4 Luke warm review!