EVO 991 3.4 Luke warm review!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 07:22 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
I think you have made an important point, Manifold. I have more fun in my 991 than I have in any of the other 14 Porsches I have had (including two 997s), but it doesn't come from the adrenaline raised from near disaster in corners. Those same corners at the same speed seem benign so I increase the speed and it still seems safe; but I appreciate the increased capability and improved safety. The additional fun I get comes from other characteristics of the vehicle, like the race-like sound and performance coming from the intake / exhaust noise and the improved PDK during acceleration.

ChuckJ

Old 01-06-2013, 08:28 AM
540Oak is infamous around these parts
Hi guys,
I've been reading this thread BC this will be likely my first and last Porsche. I have owned a number of BMW's in the past including a 135 and 335. Still have the 335..The 135 was a blast to drive....but then I made the mistake of taking out the 911 (997)..all I can say is that when I got back in my 135 it felt like a CIVIC . I have been drooling every since!

So I am looking for a DD that will give me the sportiness and experianc that Porsche are known for but also be comfortable enough to drive to work. I am struggling with the whole base VS S issue BC here in Canada the price difference is substantial..I am still not very clear on what options comes in the S that addon's on the base..I think the S has the bigger brakes, bigger engine and PASM..not sure what else..Anyway the point is that do I need an S as my first Porsche or will the base with options suffice?? Iideally I want this to be a keeper so should I get the BASE drive the hell out of it OR pony up the extra $$$ so I down the road I dont have buyers remorse and wish I should have got the S instead of the base OR should I get an 997 to learn to drive a 911? I just dont want to keep buying cars..it's expensive

You're input is appreciated..

Old 01-06-2013, 09:08 AM
pyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud ofpyramid has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 540Oak
Hi guys,
I've been reading this thread BC this will be likely my first and last Porsche. I have owned a number of BMW's in the past including a 135 and 335. Still have the 335..The 135 was a blast to drive....but then I made the mistake of taking out the 911 (997)..all I can say is that when I got back in my 135 it felt like a CIVIC . I have been drooling every since!

So I am looking for a DD that will give me the sportiness and experianc that Porsche are known for but also be comfortable enough to drive to work. I am struggling with the whole base VS S issue BC here in Canada the price difference is substantial..I am still not very clear on what options comes in the S that addon's on the base..I think the S has the bigger brakes, bigger engine and PASM..not sure what else..Anyway the point is that do I need an S as my first Porsche or will the base with options suffice?? Iideally I want this to be a keeper so should I get the BASE drive the hell out of it OR pony up the extra $$$ so I down the road I dont have buyers remorse and wish I should have got the S instead of the base OR should I get an 997 to learn to drive a 911? I just dont want to keep buying cars..it's expensive

Whichever model you get, you will still have a buyer remorse down the road.
Just get the one you want and don't ever cheapen out on "must have" options such as leather interior.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:19 PM
CarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud ofCarreraPete has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
I think you have made an important point, Manifold. I have more fun in my 991 than I have in any of the other 14 Porsches I have had (including two 997s), but it doesn't come from the adrenaline raised from near disaster in corners. Those same corners at the same speed seem benign so I increase the speed and it still seems safe; but I appreciate the increased capability and improved safety. The additional fun I get comes from other characteristics of the vehicle, like the race-like sound and performance coming from the intake / exhaust noise and the improved PDK during acceleration.

ChuckJ
Very well put; I enjoy my new 991s for most of the same reasons (the only difference is that I have a MN).

Old 01-06-2013, 01:17 PM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Theory and car mags are not useful bases for judgements. I have 10k on my 991 C2S. It is my third 911 (74 S (stock), 78 SC (track optimized). I find it has all the character of my "traditional" P-cars, and many times the performance- in any dimension one wishes to measure. With Sport PASM is has all the best of traditional feel, but without the undesirable short wheelbase instability and vacillating steering (which required changing the pickup points on the front struts to dial out when setting up the SC). The limits are so far moved up that most will never begin to understand in limited test drive circumstances.

PS, the others I have loved were a 9142.0 and a Boxter S RS-60. If Porsche had made the 991 mid-engined it would have been uninterpretable by the car mags. As it is, right out of the box, it turns in better than the Boxter, is as stable under pressure in a turn and blasts out faster than any Boxter of Cayman can manage.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:39 PM
1mirage has a spectacular aura about1mirage has a spectacular aura about
Agreed my 991s is the better of the 3-911's I've had. Changed from the past but that's good as every new generation wouldn't be new if it was the same as the previous one. Steering has great feel and not that much different than my 997. It's a great driver and for me daily. Anyone can complain about anything so buy another car. Porsche did a great job! You can always buy a Turbo for $80K more when it comes out but they will find fault with that too! Do you not go to dinner or a movie because the critic said it it was 2-stars? Life's way too short for that!

Old 01-06-2013, 01:58 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Hi guys,

I enjoy my base 991 PDK over my 997S PDK or 997 MT By far (but I enjoyed them all). The 991 is more refined in every area right down to the radio. BTW if you do get the base radio, be sure and get the HD option.

ChuckJ

Old 01-06-2013, 03:25 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Hi guys,

Best thing to do is drive them and compare.

The base isn't as powerful as other cars in its price range, but if you keep the revs up I think it's fine. The S is better, but even it needs revs to really rock.

Regarding 997 vs 991, again both are very good, so go with whichever you enjoy more for your use.

I had a 997S cab that I loved, but traded it in because I didn't feel comfortable tracking a cab, and I can't have a 911 that's not tracked. I'm now looking for an older base 997 that I can drive hard and track so that I have a 911 again, and to tide me over until I can find a 997 GT3 RS at a reasonable price. And I also see myself owning a 991 eventually, but I'm waiting to see how the GT3 turns out, and may want to wait to get one used (letting someone else take the upfront depreciation hit). In other words, as you can see, I think they're all good: base, S, GT3, 997, 991, etc.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:42 PM
540Oak is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
I enjoy my base 991 PDK over my 997S PDK or 997 MT By far (but I enjoyed them all). The 991 is more refined in every area right down to the radio. BTW if you do get the base radio, be sure and get the HD option.
ChuckJ
thx Chuck!

Originally Posted by Manifold
Best thing to do is drive them and compare.
The base isn't as powerful as other cars in its price range, but if you keep the revs up I think it's fine. The S is better, but even it needs revs to really rock.
Regarding 997 vs 991, again both are very good, so go with whichever you enjoy more for your use. I had a 997S cab that I loved, but traded it in because I didn't feel comfortable tracking a cab, and I can't have a 911 that's not tracked. I'm now looking for an older base 997 that I can drive hard and track so that I have a 911 again, and to tide me over until I can find a 997 GT3 RS at a reasonable price. And I also see myself owning a 991 eventually, but I'm waiting to see how the GT3 turns out, and may want to wait to get one used (letting someone else take the upfront depreciation hit). In other words, as you can see, I think they're all good: base, S, GT3, 997, 991, etc.
Thx Manifold!