991 rear wing - 3 different degrees of "up"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 08:22 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
991 rear wing - 3 different degrees of "up"

In the 991 car I think I have seen 3 different levels of spoiler wing "up-ness" available. This appears to vary based on your car type.

In the non-SPASM car we get a few inches of lift like the blue car in the pics below. This is not visible at all from the driver position. You cannot see it through your rear view mirrors at all. I noticed this on the demo I tested. You could place a martini on the wing like a table top.

In the SPASM car it's more aggressive by about 2 inches. It is visible from the mirrors, easily. My car is the silver photos. You could not set a glass of liquid on the wing - it would slide off.

Also see the GT3 black car in the photos. That lift seems far more aggressive than mine. I think the GT3 has 2 levels of spoiler because I've seen this same test mule with the lift less aggressive. More like my silver car. But this puppy is flared UP big time in these snowy shots.

Thoughts?

Attached Images     

Last edited by EricP; 02-29-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:41 PM
ArthurH is a jewel in the roughArthurH is a jewel in the roughArthurH is a jewel in the roughArthurH is a jewel in the rough
I have not yet tested, but my dealer told me that the degree of spoiler lift is also affected by the sunroof position, for some aerodynamic reason. Anyone else hear or verify this?

Old 02-29-2012, 09:48 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ahumphrey
I have not yet tested, but my dealer told me that the degree of spoiler lift is also affected by the sunroof position, for some aerodynamic reason. Anyone else hear or verify this?
I was told the same thing when I test drove a 991 the other day. I haven't seen it in person though.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:44 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
I'll test the sunroof theory, but I have to question this theory. In all the above pics the roof was closed. Yet each is different. Ahumphries in your leather remorse thread your wing is lower- nearly parallel to the ground yet your roof is closed. Hmmmmm

I'm going to get a ruler and tinker with mine tomorrow... I'll report back. I'm now thinking that it may depend on whether you invoked the spoiler in normal, sport, or sport plus mode.

Last edited by EricP; 02-29-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:12 PM
ArthurH is a jewel in the roughArthurH is a jewel in the roughArthurH is a jewel in the roughArthurH is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by EricP
I'll test the sunroof theory, but I have to question this theory. In all the above pics the roof was closed. Yet each is different. Ahumphries in your leather remorse thread your wing is lower- nearly parallel to the ground yet your roof is closed. Hmmmmm

I'm going to get a ruler and tinker with mine tomorrow... I'll report back. I'm now thinking that it may depend on whether you invoked the spoiler in normal, sport, or sport plus mode.
In the picture I had the spoiler partially closed, as is possible when closing it when the car is stationary. It definitely goes up farther than that.

I just went and tested mine (stationary, however) and I could not tell a difference with the sunroof open vs closed. I closed/reopened the spoiler each time. I do not know if it is perhaps different with the vehicle in motion, or if the difference is very small.

Attached Images  
Old 02-29-2012, 11:21 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
You might need a spotter to drive along with you in a different car and observe your spoiler when you open up your sunroof at speed.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:05 AM
9911 is infamous around these parts
First of all: Hello to everyone!

It actually does depend on the sunroof's position (when the car is in motion). The aerodynamics change as the sunroof opens "to the outside". That is why the spoiler goes up a little bit further:

Hope that helps!

Last edited by 9911; 03-01-2012 at 04:11 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:25 AM
exponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to behold
The angle of the rear wing are some what related to the front spoiler. If more aggressive (more down force) in the front then would also need more down force in the rear to balance the car.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by 9911

It actually does depend on the sunroof's position (when the car is in motion). The aerodynamics change as the sunroof opens "to the outside". That is why the spoiler goes up a little bit further:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAUWOUlCAeM

Hope that helps!
Thanks for that. I wonder is there is additional height built into SPASM cars? When I test drove the 991 non-SPASM car my buddy and I were on the highway with the wing up and we couldn't see it from the driver or passenger seats at all - and our entire test drive was with the roof open. On my SPASM car I can manually engage the wing at 35mph and see it from all three mirrors.

Last edited by EricP; 03-01-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:15 AM
No.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really nice
Originally Posted by 9911

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAUWOUlCAeM

Hope that helps!
Thanks for that video! Very helpful indeed.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:42 PM
So today I went out and messed with the rear spoiler. Regardless of what I did the tail went up to max.

Situation:
1. Started the car and engaged the tail manually with button. Tail went up to max. Drove around and opened the sunroof at about 40mph. No change in tail angle. Closed the roof - no change in tail.

2. Tail down. Entered highway & reached 75 mph or so and tail engaged to max degree. Opened roof at highway speed - no change in tail angle. Closed roof at highway speed -no change in tail. Reduced speed below 40mph - tail closed entirely.

3. Engaged tail manually at dead stop. Tail at max. Drove 30mph and engaged sport - no change - switched to sport plus - no change in tail angle.

I could see the tail from all three mirrors the entire time. It seems binary on my car. Either fully up or fully down. Haven't seen anything else.

No clue fellas. Sorry.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:55 PM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by EricP
I wonder is there is additional height built into SPASM cars?
There is. Builder app info states this.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by fbroen
There is. Builder app info states this.
Thank you for pointing this out. I thought it looked aggressive.

Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2013, 02:11 PM
Brooklyn991 is just really niceBrooklyn991 is just really niceBrooklyn991 is just really niceBrooklyn991 is just really niceBrooklyn991 is just really nice
This post was so informative. I was about to post this question myself. I've been noticing that at certain times I can see the rear spoiler through the rear-view mirror, and at other times, only through the side mirror. I was convinced that there were different positions but thought I was going crazy. Now that I know it is due to the sunroof, I look forward to testing it out behind the wheel.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:14 PM
mas8002mi is infamous around these parts
only 1 position with the SPASM. No 2 diferrent levels. SPASM spoiler goes up a little more than a non-SPASM car, as it states in the configurator.

I wish though, that it would behave like my panamera, there r actually 2 different levels of spoiler heights, 1 is regular height, and a 2nd level which pushes the spoiler to a more aggressive position when I engage the SPORT PLUS mode.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 rear wing - 3 different degrees of "up"