The new 991 C4S!!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:31 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
OK sorry for the delayed responses guys... been on the dark side of the moon for a few days.

Hahahaha no worries, I'd say I'm pretty outspoken.
This of course means that sometimes you end up eating some crow... point in case.

I agree the hollowed out bottom section of the duck-tail makes all the difference.
That's going to be one sweet ride, can't wait to see it!

It's a Lumma design 3 piece wing, I've been looking to find where the hell it's sold but no luck so far.
Not 100% sure if that's the way to go but in theory having a wing/lip which creates an overhang on the light-strip and tail-lights should emphasize the those elements because they are effectively in an artificially created shadow and so will be more vibrant when lid...

But really I'd like a wing which kinda hovers over the entire width of the rear-end, anyway still early days, guess I should wait till I actuall get ny new ride!

Or make their choices even harder!!!
Between the 2 of you I'm figuring that my 991 itch will be scratch, till I receive mine in 4 months...sigh
You have no idea how much all those pics help, thanks fellas!
Sid,
I was behind a car today that I thought was a new C4. It had triangle tail lights and the telltale reflective strip across the back. But then I noticed it was a Dodge Intrepid!. Maybe Porsche should rethink this?

Old 10-23-2012, 10:54 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AG991
Sid,
I was behind a car today that I thought was a new C4. It had triangle tail lights and the telltale reflective strip across the back. But then I noticed it was a Dodge Intrepid!. Maybe Porsche should rethink this?
What? wow!

Old 10-23-2012, 10:54 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Haku
Well here's another to warm your heart up.
PDCC, SPASM...and me doing their thing on The Tail of the Dragon yesterday! The banking on this severe bend was significant.

delicious~~~!

Old 10-24-2012, 04:31 AM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by brianja
Thanks guys. I'm always happy to share my photos.

I'm glad you liked them.

Haku - You've been posting some great shots yourself lately!
Your pics are making me bonkers. I have an M5 on order and I think I have configured the new 991 C4S over 10 times online. Hoping the Bimmer will carry me over till the next Targa.. arggh.. the waiting waiting is murderous on my soul.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:38 AM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Oops that pic was meant to help Sid and no hijack his thread! Sorry matey.

Btw, that pic (of me driving) was taken by a pro outfit at the dragon. So not mine and I simply bought it.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:20 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AG991
Sid,
Yeah OK.... I think the negative experience with your ride is having some psychological side effects buddy!!!

You're killing me man!

Oops that pic was meant to help Sid and no hijack his thread! Sorry matey.

Btw, that pic (of me driving) was taken by a pro outfit at the dragon. So not mine and I simply bought it.
Damn you're lucky you had someone take a good shot of you in your ride.
Thanks for posting!

Old 10-24-2012, 09:17 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE=Psycho Sid;3674058]Yeah OK.... I think the negative experience with your ride is having some psychological side effects buddy!!!

You're killing me man!

Sorry, I just could not resist! I am counting down the weeks until we get to see pictures of your wide body!

Be well Sid.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:49 PM
Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !Haku Is a GOD !
Have a look at these drive reviews out today!

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3674267

Old 10-24-2012, 10:24 PM

Haku, that's a great find. Thanks!

Some excerpts

"The 4S is entirely rear-driven until it senses hard acceleration or cornering, which means that in most situations it feels almost identical to the two-wheel-drive car. A trait that should be taken as a serious compliment. But start to ask the 4S for serious urgency and you begin to feel the true benefits of this system; the confidence-inspiring handling that makes it the bigger seller in the 911 range globally"

"What’s more, when you really start to explore the car’s limits, the extra traction makes for genuinely ballistic acceleration, particularly from a standing start. All told, the PTM system only enhances the new 911’s everyday supercar credentials."

Old 10-24-2012, 10:40 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !

Oh man I can't believe I missed that!!!
Thanks for posting it up!

OK just read it and... well... I'm gonna say she doesn't know what she's talking about, but maybe you guys can chime in and tell me if my thinking/knowledge/deductions sound right to you...

She says "Adaptive dampers are standard in the C4S and come with a 10mm dropped ride height, and we’re also testing the optional Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control – an active anti-roll system – which drops the suspension by a further 10mm."

OK the S comes with PASM which has a 10mm drop compared to the non PASM, agreed.
But (as far as I know) the PDCC does not include another 10mm drop, that 20mm drop (10+10mm) you can only get with the S-PASM... which is mostly selected in combination with PDCC but the PDCC by itself does NOT have that extra drop.

You can not get the S-PASM on a cab... don't ask me why but I've been told in no uncertain term NO S-PASM on a cab. period.

Then she also says this...
"The active four-wheel drive system is as advanced as you’d expect. Essentially an updated version of the system fitted to the 997 911 Turbo, it’s able to divert up to 100 per cent of the power to either axle in just 100 milliseconds to maximise traction."

OK that's just crazy talk... the C4S has NEVER and will NEVER be able to put a 100% of it's traction to the front wheels!
That would make it the first front wheel drive Porsche in history!
It goes up to 40% in the front only when needed, that's it.
Any other time it sits at 5%, although on the 991 they where suppose to have made that even less and designed the whole system to feel more rear biased than the previous generations.

Not just that but it went from a viscous coupling to a very advanced geared coupling awd system, totally new to the 911.

She does contradict the 100% to the front later in the article but all and all she makes it sound about as exciting as a pick-up truck .
I drove the R8 and while powerful it's no where near as "nimble" or "edgy" as the 997 C4S.

Hope she's full of it and just doesn't know how to put her foot down whilst using the shifter paddles in sport+... otherwise "little Psycho" is going to have a freak out right in the middle of the dealership!

Think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts....

Old 10-24-2012, 10:48 PM
Oh man I can't believe I missed that!!!
Thanks for posting it up!

OK just read it and... well... I'm gonna say she doesn't know what she's talking about, but maybe you guys can chime in and tell me if my thinking/knowledge/deductions sound right to you...

She says "Adaptive dampers are standard in the C4S and come with a 10mm dropped ride height, and we’re also testing the optional Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control – an active anti-roll system – which drops the suspension by a further 10mm."

OK the S comes with PASM which has a 10mm drop compared to the non PASM, agreed.
But (as far as I know) the PDCC does not include another 10mm drop, that 20mm drop (10+10mm) you can only get with the S-PASM... which is mostly selected in combination with PDCC but the PDCC by itself does NOT have that extra drop.

You can not get the S-PASM on a cab... don't ask me why but I've been told in no uncertain term NO S-PASM on a cab. period.

Then she also says this...
"The active four-wheel drive system is as advanced as you’d expect. Essentially an updated version of the system fitted to the 997 911 Turbo, it’s able to divert up to 100 per cent of the power to either axle in just 100 milliseconds to maximise traction."

OK that's just crazy talk... the C4S has NEVER and will NEVER be able to put a 100% of it's traction to the front wheels!
That would make it the first front wheel drive Porsche in history!
It goes up to 40% in the front only when needed, that's it.
Any other time it sits at 5%, although on the 991 they where suppose to have made that even less and designed the whole system to feel more rear biased than the previous generations.

Not just that but it went from a viscous coupling to a very advanced geared coupling awd system, totally new to the 911.

She does contradict the 100% to the front later in the article but all and all she makes it sound about as exciting as a pick-up truck .
I drove the R8 and while powerful it's no where near as "nimble" or "edgy" as the 997 C4S.

Hope she's full of it and just doesn't know how to put her foot down whilst using the shifter paddles in sport+... otherwise "little Psycho" is going to have a freak out right in the middle of the dealership!

Think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts....
Don't worry, it's not only you. I've been thinking that she's been smoking cr***...but you've gotta notice all the praises too..

Old 10-24-2012, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by Fester
Don't worry, it's not only you. I've been thinking that she's been smoking cr***...but you've gotta notice all the praises too..
I know, I know... I'm just having a hard time taking anything this one says seriously "bone jarring ride in sport+" compared to what!!
A 996, 997... oh no wait...a Crown Vic!

OK, OK...think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts....

Old 10-24-2012, 11:39 PM
Pfewwwwwwwwww what a difference this second review is!
This one http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsche...911-carrera-4s was actually well written by someone who got his facts right.
And pointing out things like the new dial which shows where the power is going or how the rear arches look from the mirrors, the feel and handling of the car and accurate technical specs.

Good stuff!
This one I enjoyed... I'm happy I won't have to freak out now... too late?

Old 10-25-2012, 12:11 AM
I know, I know... I'm just having a hard time taking anything this one says seriously "bone jarring ride in sport+" compared to what!!
A 996, 997... oh no wait...a Crown Vic!

OK, OK...think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts....
Oh my! I just read her load of numpty text again. I can only apologise for posting it. She really is full of either contradiction or generalisms. You could take her text and apply it to any convertible and hey presto... You have a review.

I love this quote...

"If provoked it will oversteer and deliver some real entertaining, absorbing handling. But in all but the most focussed driving, it remains firmly planted and will understeer before threatening any loss of traction at the rear."

What the?..... If provoked, I do the same!

Last edited by Haku; 10-25-2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:39 AM
Oh my! I just read her load of numpty text again. I can only apologise for posting it. She really is full of either contradiction or generalisms. You could take her text and apply it to any convertible and hey presto... You have a review.

I love this quote...

"If provoked it will oversteer and deliver some real entertaining, absorbing handling. But in all but the most focussed driving, it remains firmly planted and will understeer before threatening any loss of traction at the rear."

What the?..... If provoked, I do the same!
"If provoked" I tent to swing too... it's just not with my rear-end hahaha.

No worries Haku!
Seriously, I'm happy you posted it, makes me realize not to take these types of reviews too seriously.
That said the 2nd one was excellent!

Hell in the first one if you can look past "the open trunk lid" and deployed wind deflector you can clearly see that the 4 looks wider... that alone (and those wider tires) is worth the price for admission for me.

But I did read a Dutch review just now in which they state that the awd system only really kicks in with rain, when pushed to extremes or "during it's blistering take offs"... in all other conditions it feels (and is) just like the 2wd.
So the best of both worlds at the price of extra 50kg and some $$ of course.

Attached Images  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: The new 991 C4S!!