The new 991 C4S!!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:52 PM
Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !
I kept waiting for the "....and a patridge in a pear tree" punchline and then a "Happy Holidays from Porsche" ending.

Sadly, the only holiday gift 991 buyers are receiving from Porsche is a 2.6% price increase starting Jan. 1st.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:12 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Heist
I kept waiting for the "....and a patridge in a pear tree" punchline and then a "Happy Holidays from Porsche" ending.

Sadly, the only holiday gift 991 buyers are receiving from Porsche is a 2.6% price increase starting Jan. 1st.
Nice.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:46 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Here's a video showing the awd evolution from the 964 all the way up to the 991, good stuff!

Old 12-19-2012, 05:02 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
My, how those cars have grown over the years...

Reminds me of the 3-series evolution. The old 3-series is smaller than the new 1-series.

Car sizes seems to be a swinging pendulum: People prefer a larger car, the car grows, and grows, people complain it is too large, but there is already a fan-base, so the manufacturer releases a 'new' compact version, which just so happens to be the same size as the one 20 years earlier (or a little larger, but seems really small in comparison to the current model).

Old 12-19-2012, 05:45 PM
Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !Heist Is a GOD !
^^^Model bloat is an issue for all manufacturers. It's partially a response to physiological changes. As humans, we are growing larger & heavier with each generation.

It's partially a response to changing regulations - where designers have to find a way to cram in more safety equipment and deformation space in order to meet government standards.

And finally, it's a factor of marketing laziness - because when you have no real new innovations to deliver to a segment, the marketing & sales departments want to be able to claim that their vehicle has "best in class" legroom/trunk space/cabin space, etc.

However in the case of the 911, although I have not driven a 991, everything I have read says the length of this chassis may the magical ideal for a 911 and seems to have cured all the ill character flaws of the 911's design - front end pogo, mid-corner off throttle snap oversteer, less need to throw the front end into the apex.

I'm looking forward to having a proper go behind the wheel of one.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:21 PM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Heist
^^^Model bloat is an issue for all manufacturers. It's partially a response to physiological changes. As humans, we are growing larger & heavier with each generation.
I am growing larger and heavier within the past 30 years. That is why I ordered the S instead of the base, the 50 more HP is needed to move my butt around, 350 HP would have been more than plenty 30 years ago.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:32 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mdc
I am growing larger and heavier within the past 30 years. That is why I ordered the S instead of the base, the 50 more HP is needed to move my butt around, 350 HP would have been more than plenty 30 years ago.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:44 PM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
should have wait for the 4s, it sure will keep my butt from sliding around on twisty road, not to mention the wide body to match my much wider waist line compare to the 70s. If I keep eating, I will need a turbo... yes !

Old 12-19-2012, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by mdc
Originally Posted by mdc
should have wait for the 4s, it sure will keep my butt from sliding around on twisty road, not to mention the wide body to match my much wider waist line compare to the 70s. If I keep eating, I will need a turbo... yes !

Nice.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:35 PM
See U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really nice
Arrow C4s

Hey Sid,

Thanks for a Great thread. I have been leaning toward the C4 Cab for a while now. The lines are soo Sexy, and I really like the, "Glued-to-the-Ground" Effect of the all wheel drive.

In the Performance Tab of the Porsche Configurator, which options would you say are a Must have?

Old 12-19-2012, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by See U n Rear View
... which options would you say are a Must have?
All of them.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
All of them.
Stop... you're giving me nightmares!
I had my dealer change the wheels to Sport Techno's today (even though it's been locked for a week now!).

Originally Posted by See U n Rear View
Hey Sid,

Thanks for a Great thread. I have been leaning toward the C4 Cab for a while now. The lines are soo Sexy, and I really like the, "Glued-to-the-Ground" Effect of the all wheel drive.

In the Performance Tab of the Porsche Configurator, which options would you say are a Must have?
My pleasure, it's always great to see enthusiast get together around a modern day campfire to share the passion, knowledge and a few tall tale's.
I think options are highly subjective but the 991 being a much more digital ride as apposed to the previous generations there is a few things which I have noticed...

The old motto of "bare bones" will give you a more edgy ride is no longer applicably... because it's actually the options which give you the enhanced "sports" experience (Sport +, Sport Chrono etc.).
Whereas the bare bones gives you a fun base but set-up for fuel consumption, comfort etc... a good DD but not something which will make you go WOWWWWW!
Now add the extra weight of the awd plus the power differentiation when all 4 wheels need to be driven and your setting yourself up for disappointment (Again highly subjective but that's my view).

So the minimal options I would say one needs to get the WOWWW experience would be...
Sport Chrono (A big must!!)
PASM (has a 10mm drop) or S-PASM (has 20mm drop).
PSE (makes you "feel" and hear that you're in a sports car!)

Personally I think that the PDK has become so incredible and is so integrated into this highly computerized 911 that it just feels right and combined with the PSE you'll be playing it like an instrument just to hear the throttle bleeps!

But... I will always love the connection one only derives from a manual transmission...

Everything else is nice or great to have but you can live without... of course this is coming from a guy who added PDCC, chrono wheels, full leather etc, etc

Hope that helped.

Cheers!

Last edited by Psycho Sid; 12-19-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:04 PM
airwave is a splendid one to beholdairwave is a splendid one to beholdairwave is a splendid one to beholdairwave is a splendid one to beholdairwave is a splendid one to beholdairwave is a splendid one to beholdairwave is a splendid one to behold
Wink 4s-4snow

Originally Posted by Psycho Sid

......So the minimal options I would say one needs to get the WOWWW experience would be...

Sport Chrono (A big must!!)
PASM (has a 10mm drop) or S-PASM (has 20mm drop).
PSE (makes you "feel" and hear that you're in a sports car!)

Everything else is nice or great to have but you can live without... of course this is coming from a guy who added PDCC, chrono wheels, full leather etc, etc

Cheers!

...... and to correctly use all that stuff.... we recommend following:

Old 12-19-2012, 11:15 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
Stop... you're giving me nightmares!
I had my dealer change the wheels to Sport Techno's today (even though it's been locked for a week now!).
Cheers!
Sport technos was my second close choice- but not seen those in person, I went safe with classic. Any penalty to the lead time?? Hope it doesn't.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:16 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
All of them.
Oh yes...couldn't agree more

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: The new 991 C4S!!