The new 991 C4S!!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:24 AM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Schunmd
Thanks, Sid.

I have Sport plus on my C4S also. Drove it up to Napa today. Keeping rpm under 4200 is killing me; getting cramps on my toes preventing from stepping on the pedal! Can't wait til I push this car to really see how it feels! Still trying to get used to PDK.

Never had C2S so don't know how they compare, but this is definitely a different breed than my previous 997 C4S. Feels closer to a mid engine; I guess pushing that engine forward did make a difference.

Actually my F-car is a 2004 360 Spider 6 speed. Thought about upgrading to 430, but I just love my 6 speed too much to let it go.
Thanks for the feedback, short but sweet!

Re; the "prancing horse"...LOl I just knew I was putting my foot in my mouth with that 430 comment needles to say I love(d) the 360 enough to own one myself, enough said.
Actually come to think of it, the 360-430 and 458 have followed a very similar evolution as the 996-997 (dfi/pdk) and the 991...

One of the biggest differences between the 991 and 997/996 is the Jekyll & Hyde "personality" of the 991.
One can't fully appreciate that until you can drop the hammer in sport+ though... a true WOWWWW moment were the animal is unleashed!
You probably already know all of this but it's fun to chat about it (thought I'd add a little pretext just in case you turn out to be a pro-driver and I end up with my other foot in my mouth ).

My original 991 order was for a 7-speed MT but after driving the PDK for a few weekends I changed it to the PDK...still love MT but in the 991 the PDK just feels right, especially with the paddles in manual mode in sport +...oh man what a joy, lets hope you get to feel the same way about it lol!
Pretty sure you will though and moreover find yourself playing it like an instrument (rather than operating it) just to hear those amazing sound coming from the PSE...
It's absolutely unnecessary and gratuitous shifting hehehe and then we haven't even talked about the performance...I'd say it's the closed thing to a sequential box in a street car...it's amazingly addictive, fun, involving and falls somewhere between a PDK and a manual!

But I'd love to hear all about from you when you hit that 2000K... if ya keep going the way you have been, that should be by Friday!

Cheers!

Last edited by Psycho Sid; 01-22-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:17 AM
Carracho is a splendid one to beholdCarracho is a splendid one to beholdCarracho is a splendid one to beholdCarracho is a splendid one to beholdCarracho is a splendid one to beholdCarracho is a splendid one to behold
Just a question though guys - why don't you step on the gas right away ? No reason to wait. The engines are all run for 15 minutes at full throttle at production. Just gibe them enough time to warm up fully, then go for it... The old running in times are long gone....

Old 01-22-2013, 06:51 AM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Thanks, Sid.

I have Sport plus on my C4S also. Drove it up to Napa today. Keeping rpm under 4200 is killing me; getting cramps on my toes preventing from stepping on the pedal! Can't wait til I push this car to really see how it feels! Still trying to get used to PDK.

Never had C2S so don't know how they compare, but this is definitely a different breed than my previous 997 C4S. Feels closer to a mid engine; I guess pushing that engine forward did make a difference.

Actually my F-car is a 2004 360 Spider 6 speed. Thought about upgrading to 430, but I just love my 6 speed too much to let it go.
Wonderful stable - I will admit that I would love to have your stable in the future. What a wonderful collection of cars! Congrats and enjoy the break-in window.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:55 AM
Schunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to all
Thanks, guys!

I also wonder about this break-in period the manual recommends, and been hearing mixed views on it. I do recall one of the Porsche magazines interviewing one of the top engineers at Porsche factory, and his comment was that the "break-in period" is more for the driver to get familiarize w/ his/her vehicle rather than true breaking in of the engine because as you mentioned, these engines are already "broken-in" at the factory. Having said that, it's hard to mentally push my baby right away! I guess there is no harm in waiting either...other than my toes cramping to prevent pushing the pedal.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:27 AM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Thanks, guys!

I also wonder about this break-in period the manual recommends, and been hearing mixed views on it. I do recall one of the Porsche magazines interviewing one of the top engineers at Porsche factory, and his comment was that the "break-in period" is more for the driver to get familiarize w/ his/her vehicle rather than true breaking in of the engine because as you mentioned, these engines are already "broken-in" at the factory. Having said that, it's hard to mentally push my baby right away! I guess there is no harm in waiting either...other than my toes cramping to prevent pushing the pedal.
3000km break seems a lot to me. Personally, I'm going to break her in for the first 1500km, change the oil and be done with it.
My car will probably be delivered mid May, first track day is May 25th...doesn't leave a lot of time, lolol.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:34 AM
Carracho is a splendid one to beholdCarracho is a splendid one to beholdCarracho is a splendid one to beholdCarracho is a splendid one to beholdCarracho is a splendid one to beholdCarracho is a splendid one to behold
I've read an article in the net, saying that it really depends on the first moments. At that time, if you apply full throttle, the intense heat will melt the first microns of the cylinder wall and the tiny little oil and metal debris, forming a semi-hard surface that best fits the piston diameter, to the micron. That means less oil consumption, and more torque.

It's actually the exact opposite to the standard procedure of breaking in, which was valid when the pistons were wider than the cylinder due to machinery mismatches.. modern cnc machines (German machines at least are much more exact than 20, 30 years ago...

Edit: found it, this is just one of many articles about topic: http://www.ntnoa.org/enginebreakin.htm

Last edited by Carracho; 01-22-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:21 PM
Schunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to all
Very interesting article. I'm assuming motorcycle engine analysis applies to auto engines as well? Don't see why it wouldn't. I'm likely to follow Stalker's path; keep rpm on the low side for another 500 mi (hopefully be done with that in next few days), then an oil change before I STEP ON IT!!!

Old 01-22-2013, 01:23 PM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Carracho
I've read an article in the net, saying that it really depends on the first moments. At that time, if you apply full throttle, the intense heat will melt the first microns of the cylinder wall and the tiny little oil and metal debris, forming a semi-hard surface that best fits the piston diameter, to the micron. That means less oil consumption, and more torque.

It's actually the exact opposite to the standard procedure of breaking in, which was valid when the pistons were wider than the cylinder due to machinery mismatches.. modern cnc machines (German machines at least are much more exact than 20, 30 years ago...

Edit: found it, this is just one of many articles about topic: http://www.ntnoa.org/enginebreakin.htm
Motorcycle engines rev much higher and I'm curious to see if it applies to automobile engines.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
Thanks for the feedback, short but sweet!

Re; the "prancing horse"...LOl I just knew I was putting my foot in my mouth with that 430 comment needles to say I love(d) the 360 enough to own one myself, enough said.
Actually come to think of it, the 360-430 and 458 have followed a very similar evolution as the 996-997 (dfi/pdk) and the 991...

One of the biggest differences between the 991 and 997/996 is the Jekyll & Hyde "personality" of the 991.
One can't fully appreciate that until you can drop the hammer in sport+ though... a true WOWWWW moment were the animal is unleashed!
You probably already know all of this but it's fun to chat about it (thought I'd add a little pretext just in case you turn out to be a pro-driver and I end up with my other foot in my mouth ).

My original 991 order was for a 7-speed MT but after driving the PDK for a few weekends I changed it to the PDK...still love MT but in the 991 the PDK just feels right, especially with the paddles in manual mode in sport +...oh man what a joy, lets hope you get to feel the same way about it lol!
Pretty sure you will though and moreover find yourself playing it like an instrument (rather than operating it) just to hear those amazing sound coming from the PSE...
It's absolutely unnecessary and gratuitous shifting hehehe and then we haven't even talked about the performance...I'd say it's the closed thing to a sequential box in a street car...it's amazingly addictive, fun, involving and falls somewhere between a PDK and a manual!

But I'd love to hear all about from you when you hit that 2000K... if ya keep going the way you have been, that should be by Friday!

Cheers!
No worries about 360 comment! Glad you had good taste of owning one!

Your comment about Jekyll & Hyde personality is an interesting one. That's exactly what I am hoping to experience with my C4S; comfortable daily driver turning into an experience close to what I had with GT3 on demand.

So far, I can already tell it's as fast as the 997 GT3, but have yet to experience the sound or the true acceleration that's close to GT3. But then GT3 with rpm under 4200 was pretty tame also.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:54 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Yes just when you thought the misery is over (long wait) we have to deal with "the break in"...
I can see 2 groups sitting at the ER, one with a wild look in their eyes foaming at the mouth... the other with curled up toes!
Out side of the operating parameters etc. the motorcycle engine has much thinner cylinder walls which often times will be lined, all the components are build more for the stress of heat/high rpm's rather than torque.
They are both internal combustion engines but anyone who's ever driven/ridden both will tell you they have very, very different (engine) characteristics.
That's why cars like the Ariel Atom are so insanely fast, low weight and (with the V8) has 2 motorcycle engines strapped to the back of it!

I think using reasonable caution, common sense and a healthy respect for engines (which perform on a different level than your average beater) goes a long way to getting what you want out of your 991.

Personally I'm plan to keep to the "rules" for the first 1500km with short "grin inducing" bursts starting at 750km and longer "ear to ear smile" bursts at 1500km building up to full out b@lls to the wall "wowwwwwwwww" bursts (in sport+) at 2000km and then finally use it for the much shorter multiple daily runs (living downtown) when I hit 2500km...

That's the plan but who knows!?

Old 01-22-2013, 04:20 PM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Carracho
Just a question though guys - why don't you step on the gas right away ? No reason to wait. The engines are all run for 15 minutes at full throttle at production. Just gibe them enough time to warm up fully, then go for it... The old running in times are long gone....
Actually I don't think they are not all run at full throttle at all at production any more. They only do the full test on about 10% according to the guides I had for two different factory tours in 2012. They do some "cold" testing. Personally I don't plan on staying below 4200 after the first 500 miles.

John in Vancouver

Old 01-22-2013, 05:05 PM
DBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond repute
Sid,
Here is the updated shipping schedule from Bremerhaven for you to check which ship is sailing when etc and arrival times and dates.

http://www.pwl.de/static/schedules/vwl_hb.pdf

Old 01-22-2013, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by DBYT
Sid,
Here is the updated shipping schedule from Bremerhaven for you to check which ship is sailing when etc and arrival times and dates.

http://www.pwl.de/static/schedules/vwl_hb.pdf
AWESOME!!!
You're the man!
I'm going to check it out right now.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:53 PM
DBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry Sid,
The schedule you need is the one before the current one as there are a bunch of ships leaving Emden before the end of the month. You can check which ship is leaving in the next week or so from here
http://www.fleetmon.com/en/ports/Emden_5757

Old 01-22-2013, 10:27 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
AWESOME!!!
You're the man!
I'm going to check it out right now.
Haha...it's déjà Vu for me ...good luck man!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: The new 991 C4S!!