The new 991 C4S!!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:09 AM
saint.666 is a name known to allsaint.666 is a name known to allsaint.666 is a name known to allsaint.666 is a name known to allsaint.666 is a name known to allsaint.666 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
Yeah I've been thinking about that (the doors and entire rear quarter panels instead of just the arches) but since you do inevitably end up getting dings... the film would have to be removed if it has to be filled and painted.
But now a days they can do miracles with magnets, dry ice etc. so I'm on the fence for now...
Also film doesn't react well to waxing and so far the film has always been a little less glossy than a buffet clear-coat.

Choices, choices...
Came across a post which provides comparison between different films manufacturers, also addresses the issue of waxing..

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...n-films-2.html

Old 01-30-2013, 01:49 PM
Carracho is a splendid one to beholdCarracho is a splendid one to beholdCarracho is a splendid one to beholdCarracho is a splendid one to beholdCarracho is a splendid one to beholdCarracho is a splendid one to behold
Just a little feedback on the Werksabholung...

I flew into Stuttgart in the morning, got picked up by a young guy in a Pana GTS, and after a quick detour on the highway we arrived at the production in Zuffenhausen. This is very hands-on, lots of new cars and lorries driving around...

At ca. 9.45 I got to see the engine assembly line, accompanied by an older employee who used to be responsible for it. They produce all 911 and Boxster, as well as the Pana V engines there, with the exception of the pure racing engines (GT2), which they produce at Weissach a few kilometers out of Stuttgart.

Interesting, and new for me, was that they do not hot test the engines any more. What they do is, they have 3 cold testing stations (one after first assembly of the block and pistons, one after assembly of all hydraulic tubes, and one at the very end of the engine assembly. At these stations, they measure data like compression, throughput of valves and pistons, sound, size and a lot more, and they can "calculate" what the engine will be like.

They can do that because they had a parallel hot and cold testing phase in the beginning of the DFI production period that lastet over a year, in which they gathered enough statistical data to be able to tell how an engine will perform, without the engine ever having run on its own. Every engine that shows any sign of weakness during one of these stations, gets taken out of the production process and re-assembled where necessary. They do random testing as well however.

Sounds plausible to me, although I had this picture in my head where they lovingly caress every engine and hot test it - looking around in Zuffenhausen makes you know: there simply is neither time, nor space to do that. Zuffenhausen is in the middle of the city, and the whole space is cramped.

Then - I got my car. I have posted some pictures, and will post more, once the weather allows for better shots.

Another very interesting part was a) the exclusive line, which is not something very popular in the US as usually American customers buy the car directly at the dealership, and don't wait for the assembly (this forum seems to be an exemption). Anyway, you can fit your car pretty much as you want, but this doesnt seem to be marketed properly through the Dealers.

Another very interesting site was the Classic restoration, a little factory hall outside Stuttgart, where they restore any classic Porsche back to the state it has been originally - and even better, probably this includes stripping the body completely of paint and corrosion, cleaning all parts with special abrasive cleaning technologies, chemical baths, and re-assembling the car, including all the interiors, seats, leather, and much more. Costs about 200.000 Euro, but then you have a completely "new" old Porsche. Quite amazing... A couple of burnt out 993 sent in buy some oil sheiks, and some very rare 550s, etc.

Car:

Compared to the 997, the 991 has a broader bandwidth; it is basically two cars in one, like Jekyll and Hyde.

I was always a bit strained by long, speedy highway drives, revving the car at 5-7000 rpm all the time, driving between 180 and 250 km per hour (don't get too jealous, guys

The 991, with the 7. gear PDK, can be driven at 200 km/h with just 3.000 rpm, and the wider wheelbase makes it pretty comfortable. Not weak, or limousine-like (no way), but more comfortable then the old one.

On the other hand, switching into Sport, or Sport+ specifically, changes the car into a beast - loud, brutal, aggressive. And this beasty side of the car is more than you can have in 997 as well. So, all in all, the car is more flexible, more mature.

Which is not at all bad, if you want to use it every day like I do. Commuting back and forth is a nightmare here where I live (in Northrine- Westphalia), with a daily average of 300 km of traffic jams).

Ok for now - if you can make it happen to come over to Germany to pick the car up personally - do it ! It's absolutely and 100% worthwile !!!

Last edited by Carracho; 01-30-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:56 PM
T-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to behold
Great story. Someday I want to go there and see it all happen. Did you see my white C4S on the "exclusive line"? Tell me you did...tell me you did...supposed to be completed Feb 4th.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:56 PM
Carracho is a splendid one to beholdCarracho is a splendid one to beholdCarracho is a splendid one to beholdCarracho is a splendid one to beholdCarracho is a splendid one to beholdCarracho is a splendid one to behold
There were a couple whites.... so, maybe....

Old 01-30-2013, 04:16 PM
T-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to beholdT-Mac is a splendid one to behold
Maybe...like that helped. This will be my 5th Porsche and I always bought off the lot and this wait is killing me!

Old 01-30-2013, 04:22 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fester

I thought might as well put it all out there

Sid, is your stuff straightened out with the other dealer via corporate?? What's going on with that??
Your ride is truly amazing my friend I am definitely looking forward to more shot pics.
The dealer stepped up and made good before I had a chance to contact coperate so all is well.
I hope that's it... because looking forward to my new ride is much more fun than trying to figure out how to switch dealers...
Hence my renewed "happy" disposition hehehe.

Originally Posted by mdc
Time for meds, Sid, and some slap my face silly...
The bad part is I'm actually taking less of them now.. the good part is I'm already a little loopy without them!

Re slap me in the face silly... whatever ya do DO NOT say this out loud around DBYT!

Last edited by Psycho Sid; 01-30-2013 at 06:13 PM. Reason: missing part.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:57 PM
DBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond reputeDBYT has a reputation beyond repute
Your ride is truly amazing my friend I am definitely looking forward to more shot pics.
The dealer stepped up and made good before so all is well.
I hope that's it... because looking forward to my new ride is much more fun than trying to figure out how to switch dealers...

The bad part is I'm actually taking less of them now.. the good part is I'm already a little loopy without them!

Re slap me in the face silly... whatever ya do DO NOT say this out loud around DBYT!
I heard my name and face slapping with appendages mentioned! Am ready for action!

Old 01-30-2013, 06:01 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Carracho
There were a couple whites.... so, maybe....
What a great write up!
Thanks for taking the time!

Rep point coming your way.

Originally Posted by DBYT
I heard my name and face slapping with appendages mentioned! Am ready for action!
LOL that 10" statement is going to follow you for a longgggg (pun intended) time! hehehe.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by saint.666
Came across a post which provides comparison between different films manufacturers, also addresses the issue of waxing..

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...n-films-2.html
Thanks for the heads up, it's an interesting read and that black GTS sure does look like black ice wow!

Old 01-30-2013, 06:41 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
What a long, strange thread this has been! Sid and friends, nice job! Great fun. And soon we get pictures of yours and first impressions.

Got to see one live in Helsinki 2 weeks ago. Dove by before I could get a picture. A GT silver coupe. Looked awesome against the snow! It does have a nice caboose Sid - you are going to love it.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by AG991
What a long, strange thread this has been! Sid and friends, nice job! Great fun. And soon we get pictures of yours and first impressions.

Got to see one live in Helsinki 2 weeks ago. Dove by before I could get a picture. A GT silver coupe. Looked awesome against the snow! It does have a nice caboose Sid - you are going to love it.

How are ya!
Helsinki eh... now that's not your average destination.
Brings back fond memories... never been to but Sweden has been to me!
For me Sweden is synonymous with Elke and Inga... puts a smile to my face just thinking about it hehehe thanks buddy!
As long as you can make it through the environmental movement, renewable energy talk and a "few" drinks (damn they can drink!) you'll get to the spunky, fun and uninhibited side!

Soooo outside of great looking woman they also have an excellent selection of cars hehehe.

This tread has kept me from going crazy (more )... it was either hanging here and embracing the agony while distracting each other with infantile behavior (highly under rated) and living through others vicariously or.... doing things like this.

I'm enjoying the "vicarious" positioning of this decision much better!

Attached Images    
Old 01-30-2013, 10:17 PM
aljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud ofaljaberh has much to be proud of
Panoramic shot for the C4S and the new cayman at Qatar motor show

Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2013, 11:50 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
LOL that 10" statement is going to follow you for a longgggg (pun intended) time! hehehe.
LOL.......I got that from your prior comment!!!! DBYT...watch out now!!

Old 01-31-2013, 12:59 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Carracho
At ca. 9.45 I got to see the engine assembly line, accompanied by an older employee who used to be responsible for it. They produce all 911 and Boxster, as well as the Pana V engines there, with the exception of the pure racing engines (GT2), which they produce at Weissach a few kilometers out of Stuttgart.

Interesting, and new for me, was that they do not hot test the engines any more. What they do is, they have 3 cold testing stations (one after first assembly of the block and pistons, one after assembly of all hydraulic tubes, and one at the very end of the engine assembly. At these stations, they measure data like compression, throughput of valves and pistons, sound, size and a lot more, and they can "calculate" what the engine will be like.

They can do that because they had a parallel hot and cold testing phase in the beginning of the DFI production period that lastet over a year, in which they gathered enough statistical data to be able to tell how an engine will perform, without the engine ever having run on its own. Every engine that shows any sign of weakness during one of these stations, gets taken out of the production process and re-assembled where necessary. They do random testing as well however.

Sounds plausible to me, although I had this picture in my head where they lovingly caress every engine and hot test it - looking around in Zuffenhausen makes you know: there simply is neither time, nor space to do that. Zuffenhausen is in the middle of the city, and the whole space is cramped.

Then - I got my car. I have posted some pictures, and will post more, once the weather allows for better shots.

Another very interesting part was a) the exclusive line, which is not something very popular in the US as usually American customers buy the car directly at the dealership, and don't wait for the assembly (this forum seems to be an exemption). Anyway, you can fit your car pretty much as you want, but this doesnt seem to be marketed properly through the Dealers.

Car:

Compared to the 997, the 991 has a broader bandwidth; it is basically two cars in one, like Jekyll and Hyde.

I was always a bit strained by long, speedy highway drives, revving the car at 5-7000 rpm all the time, driving between 180 and 250 km per hour (don't get too jealous, guys

The 991, with the 7. gear PDK, can be driven at 200 km/h with just 3.000 rpm, and the wider wheelbase makes it pretty comfortable. Not weak, or limousine-like (no way), but more comfortable then the old one.
What a great insight into the factory! Very nice indeed. It's a news to be about engine and kinda makes sense now as the time I took delivery it had 5 miles on it and i heard electronic motor sound at lower speeds. I immediately drove the car back and was told that its break pump settling down along with many other parts as engine is brand new - 400 miles later, it's gone!!

Old 01-31-2013, 01:02 AM
Thumbs up

The dealer stepped up and made good before I had a chance to contact coperate so all is well.
D

Awesome!! I'm happy for ya...!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: The new 991 C4S!!