991 base Vs S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 10:32 AM
hashrogers is infamous around these parts
991 base Vs S

Hi Everyone,

I have been wanting to buy a 911 for a long time now but have stuck to traditional cars like the Merc CLS and BMW 335s (more practical in nature).
My car is up for a change and I while searching for new cars (BMW, MERC, AUDI, RANGE ROVER) i read the review on the new 991. Shortly after that i went to the dealer for a test drive and took the C2S for a spin. It was love at first sight. I loved everything about the car. The new shape, the luxury interior, the panamera like console, the steering (including the power steering plus). Just loved it.

So i went back and was building the car online and realized how easily the cost goes up. So then I started to work on the essentials i love for everyday, like premium package seats, ventilated seats, sunroof, PDK, 20 S wheels, SC (mostly for resale), front and rear sensors, BOSE, multifunction steering, power steering plus.

I did not go for the PSE because i would hardly use it and IMO not worth the additional 3k for me.

The specs I chose are essential for me in terms of enjoyment everyday.
Question is, should I fork up the extra 15k for the S or not! Its as it is getting pricey on the base. Badge envy? Red callipers? twin pipes? PASM?

I read the review by EVO today and they mentioned that the 3.4 is and excellent choice.

Would love comments and advice.

Thanks a lot

Hash

Old 03-04-2012, 10:39 AM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
Go S without a question. And do get PSE.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:40 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
It's going to be hard to get info since I don't think many people have their base orders yet.

Johtata is one of the first.

Last edited by buck986; 03-04-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:08 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
I have only test drove the S and it is crazy fast.

Base has 350hp and will be much faster than all your previous cars. You will be happy with a base if don't want to spend too much.

I will not get 20 inches wheels. I own 911s for 15+years and don't feel they need 20 at all.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:15 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Go S

The big thing that made me go for the S was the PDCC. Drive an S with and without and you will want it. I may be wrong, but PDCC is not an option on the base. When you look at the stuff that is standard on the S that is optional on the Base, the difference is not that big. But then you have to add the PDCC (4K?). The engine is almost a bonus. But it is a big nut. My 991 S is about 126k. That is a lot of money to me - but the car is extraordinary.

These are good problems to have!

Old 03-04-2012, 12:26 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AG991
The big thing that made me go for the S was the PDCC. Drive an S with and without and you will want it. I may be wrong, but PDCC is not an option on the base. When you look at the stuff that is standard on the S that is optional on the Base, the difference is not that big. But then you have to add the PDCC (4K?). The engine is almost a bonus. But it is a big nut. My 991 S is about 126k. That is a lot of money to me - but the car is extraordinary.

These are good problems to have!
you are correct...the PDCC is not an option for the base.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Johtaja is a splendid one to beholdJohtaja is a splendid one to beholdJohtaja is a splendid one to beholdJohtaja is a splendid one to beholdJohtaja is a splendid one to beholdJohtaja is a splendid one to beholdJohtaja is a splendid one to behold
You cant go wrong here, it comes down to what you are willing to pay.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:21 PM
Thanks guys. I agree 100% these are sweet worries!!! @Tim 20 inch wheels make the car ride bumpier? 19 inch better? Reasons for buying 991 is

a. love the shape and looks.
b. great fun driving.
c. rarely go to track. if invited, may go with the kids.
d. want the car to be a great everyday car

Old 03-04-2012, 02:15 PM
stevefrommn has a spectacular aura aboutstevefrommn has a spectacular aura aboutstevefrommn has a spectacular aura about
However much money you have to spend Porsche has a model for you.
The real answer is all of them are great. I got the S because it was the fastest new Porsche I could afford without getting into spending pain.
Like the country western song goes, There is no such thing as too much money, a woman too pretty or a car too fast.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hashrogers
Thanks guys. I agree 100% these are sweet worries!!! @Tim 20 inch wheels make the car ride bumpier? 19 inch better?
I have not driven a 991 in 20, I am just giving you my subjective opinion.

19 wheels in my GT3RS in sport mode create quite bumpy rides, most people who track will switch to 18 instead (due to ride, more tire selection, etc). I know 991 has better compliant suspension, so 19 should be very comfortable. 20 has to be OK too, otherwise Porsche won't offer it.

991 is marginally bigger than a 997, which uses both 18 and 19 wheels. I suspect 20 in the 991 is mainly for cosmetic reason, rather than for performance and handling reason.

You were asking for opinion to spec your 991. Out of all your listed options, I think the 20 wheels is an easy one to scratch and save money on. Again, you will not go wrong with anything that you order. 991 really is that good. Too bad I don't have more garage space....

Old 03-04-2012, 02:50 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Go with 19"

I agree with Tim. Save the money. The 20" ride great. Well with the caveat that NJ roads are a pothole collection with small patches of asphalt in between. And they look great. But you probably could only know a 19" is smaller if it is next to 20" wheels. 20" are also heavier which is neither good for fuel economy nor racing.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:03 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by hashrogers
Hi Everyone,

I have been wanting to buy a 911 for a long time now but have stuck to traditional cars like the Merc CLS and BMW 335s (more practical in nature).
My car is up for a change and I while searching for new cars (BMW, MERC, AUDI, RANGE ROVER) i read the review on the new 991. Shortly after that i went to the dealer for a test drive and took the C2S for a spin. It was love at first sight. I loved everything about the car. The new shape, the luxury interior, the panamera like console, the steering (including the power steering plus). Just loved it.

So i went back and was building the car online and realized how easily the cost goes up. So then I started to work on the essentials i love for everyday, like premium package seats, ventilated seats, sunroof, PDK, 20 S wheels, SC (mostly for resale), front and rear sensors, BOSE, multifunction steering, power steering plus.

I did not go for the PSE because i would hardly use it and IMO not worth the additional 3k for me.

The specs I chose are essential for me in terms of enjoyment everyday.
Question is, should I fork up the extra 15k for the S or not! Its as it is getting pricey on the base. Badge envy? Red callipers? twin pipes? PASM?

I read the review by EVO today and they mentioned that the 3.4 is and excellent choice.

Would love comments and advice.

Thanks a lot

Hash
OK since you're used to Benz's like myself I will advice you to take the PASM if you go with the base, it adds that comfort element to the ride and you can change it with a push of the button.

Here's my take on the base vs S.
Keep in mind the pricing for Canadian market is about 15 to 20% higher than US market though.

My C2S cab. build is around 140K (+15% taxes), a slightly higher optioned base (vented seat etc.) is "only" 14K less.
That's because the S comes with PASM, 20" wheels are $1500,- instead of $3300,- etc, etc. so the the 17K gap closes quite rapidly... (edit, without adding the PDCC on the S the gap is actually closer to 10K)

BTW since 20" rims are a "standard" option the suspension and geometry of the car has been set up for it so it similar to having 19's on a 997.
The demo car at my dealer has 20"s and the ride was superb!

On one of the test drives of the 991 C2S, I took the wife (make sure she'll actually want to ride in this one with me ) and she said, "get the PDK, that way I'll be able to drive it when you loose your license again..."

Funny at the time but... the "war" on speed has reached ridiculous proportions the fact that you're driving an expensive vehicle which you're going to automatically be more careful with whilst still having some fun is irrelevant to the cops... they ticked you like you're a punk that's street racing his Honda putting others in danger!
The new 991 gets up to speed so fast that I seriously considered getting the base instead of S.
That way you can have more fun before you hit ticked speeds...

That said, I'm a grown @ss man who should be able to control himself by now... so I went with the S.
But if the difference in the $$ was higher than 10K (depending on your build) it might be worth getting the base.

Either way, you can't really go wrong!

Cheers.

Last edited by Psycho Sid; 03-04-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:34 PM
af330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura about
I currently have a 98 Base Carrera and love it ... I really don't see how much faster an 'S' can be for street use ... I have had many fast cars in the past, the RX7 TT, the 335i, a few Corvette's, RX8, MR2 turbo, Boxster, S2000, etc ...

Keep in mind the base Carrera does 0-60 in probably the high 4 second range ... that is damn FAST plus the rest of the car is just incredible. Also another thing to consider is the base is more capable than 99% of the other cars on the road ...

With that said I did go for the 'S' with my order and the only reason was I want the 991 and it seemed my dealer had more allocations for the S and I could get one faster AND it was a good excuse to go for one

These boards are great but if you notice when you ask about an option that gives more performance you are usually going to get a response that you should 'get it'.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:45 PM
Thank you everyone. The build i have is this

991 base, metallic black, standard black interior, premium pkg 14 way adj seats, BOSE, seat vent, sunroof, 20 S wheels, PDK, park assist front and rear and sport chrono (on the fence about SC and NOT going for PSE) 115k approx.

Thinking of pressing the button. Any ideas on the SChrono? Worth it? good for resale? I don't think i would use launch control although having the centre clock is very 911.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by af330i
I currently have a 98 Base Carrera and love it ... I really don't see how much faster an 'S' can be for street use ... I have had many fast cars in the past, the RX7 TT, the 335i, a few Corvette's, RX8, MR2 turbo, Boxster, S2000, etc ...

Keep in mind the base Carrera does 0-60 in probably the high 4 second range ... that is damn FAST plus the rest of the car is just incredible. Also another thing to consider is the base is more capable than 99% of the other cars on the road ...

With that said I did go for the 'S' with my order and the only reason was I want the 991 and it seemed my dealer had more allocations for the S and I could get one faster AND it was a good excuse to go for one

These boards are great but if you notice when you ask about an option that gives more performance you are usually going to get a response that you should 'get it'.

With the PDK it's a couple of tenths faster for the S. With manuals it's going to depend more on the driver.

With the S you can get the PDCC but that right now is an option that is being debated more so than most. At first I thought it was a must have, I'm not as sure anymore.

If the S is going to stretch you, get a base and spend some money on a driving coach. The S will no longer be faster in many cases.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 base Vs S