EVO Magazine: 991 vs rivals (LONG!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 08:23 AM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
IMO

Originally Posted by hawc
...fluff pieces...
are often found in

Road & Track, Car & Driver, European Car
However, I agree that

Automobile, CAR and EVO
are generally the best and most accurate reads when describing what I am looking for in a car.

Of all those I respect EVO the most
I used to think this also. Not 100% convinced any more on the basis of some recent articles and the choice of Nick Trott as editor. I find reading anything he writes incredibly irritating.

and within EVO I respect Chris Harris the most (sadly he's recently moved on to do his own YouTube thing)
His main gig is actually now writing for Pistonheads. He's been replaced at Evo by Tiff Needell. While Tiff is a great driver, I'm not a fan of his writing. Too many exclamation marks.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:34 AM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
I wouldn't even think about PDDC.....

Old 03-07-2012, 08:36 AM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
Funny to come across this old Harris article where he makes his own car the 2.7L Cayman. Maybe because he can't afford more on a writer's salary but interesting nonetheless.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:55 AM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
Funny to come across this old Harris article where he makes his own car the 2.7L Cayman. Maybe because he can't afford more on a writer's salary but interesting nonetheless.
Huh? Since you seem to mention Harris a bit, you do know he bought (with his own money) a GT3 RS 4.0, right?

I'm not saying it wasn't a speculative purchase and he didn't get some special deal, but he does talk about the loan he took to pay for it in some of his columns and it doesn't sound like he got it for less than full retail price.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:05 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sapster
Huh? Since you seem to mention Harris a bit, you do know he bought (with his own money) a GT3 RS 4.0, right?

I'm not saying it wasn't a speculative purchase and he didn't get some special deal, but he does talk about the loan he took to pay for it in some of his columns and it doesn't sound like he got it for less than full retail price.
Yeah...his dream car with his wife's support...great to see him get one.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:35 AM
BlackTTCab is infamous around these partsBlackTTCab is infamous around these parts
Fair point, but as a reader you have to decide which magazines opinion's you value. The vast majority of automobile journalists just write fluff pieces that praise everything about every car. I read Road & Track, Car & Driver, European Car, Automobile, CAR and EVO each month. Of all those I respect EVO the most, and within EVO I respect Chris Harris the most (sadly he's recently moved on to do his own YouTube thing)

So what EVO says carries a lot of weight for me. It was also my own personal experience after a lengthy solo test drive this past weekend.

That said, I'd be curious to test drive a manual, base, 991 with 19" rims and no fancy electronics (PDCC etc) to see if its a very different experience.

Otherwise time to look at Caymans....
I agree with you here.

I'm currently cross shopping a 13 GTR with the 991S and this article seems to rave about the GTR.

I need to test drive the 991. I went into a Nissan Dealer and they wouldn't let me test drive a used 12 GTR they had. I hate the fact that the car is a Nissan. 0 Customer care/service.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:41 PM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
Maybe I need to watch it again, but I thought Harris' review was one of the ones I would chalk up in the positive category. So was his piece in Excellence?