EVO Magazine: 991 vs rivals (LONG!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 12:10 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
EVO Magazine: 991 vs rivals (LONG!)

Too long to post the whole thing:

http://www.germancarforum.com/internal-combustion/43485-evo-porsche-991-vs-rivals-two-parts.html

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 03-06-2012 at 01:23 PM. Reason: active link to another forum
Old 03-06-2012, 02:31 PM
Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !
Interesting quote:

“- it also feels rather aloof and cold. ‘It’s lackin that cohesion and sweet uniformity of weights and response that is a big part of Porsche magic,’ says Meaden. ‘It’s also missing those sensations you used to get even when pottering along in a 997,’ adds Green.”

Old 03-06-2012, 03:25 PM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
Ouch !!!!

Old 03-06-2012, 03:51 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
911 is (still) king imho and that´s coming from a serious R8 lover!
the build quality, reliability, luxury, prestige, performance, daily driveabilty, even the looks (in and out).
if you put all these thing together, seriously, no way around the new 911.

P.S. the fact that it has lost some of it´s typical rear engine quirkiness and that it´s safer and inches closer to perfection is bad/sad for old 911 fans but good for sales and future products and on top it will even save some lives as well (those of 911s and human beings).

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 03-06-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:05 PM
Waxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of light
Can't open the link

Old 03-06-2012, 06:02 PM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
Very interesting. Cliff notes: 991 has lost some very important character. Base Carrera better than Carrera S for 'Porscheness' and don't get the PDCC as it kills the liveliness of the car.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:09 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by hawc
Very interesting. Cliff notes: 991 has lost some very important character. Base Carrera better than Carrera S for 'Porscheness' and don't get the PDCC as it kills the liveliness of the car.

like some of us have been saying...or as much as we can say in our short test drives...no?

Old 03-06-2012, 06:16 PM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
Yup. I took out an "S" on the weekend for about 45 minutes sans salesman. The car was fast, comfortable and luxurious but it made me want to wait to see what the new Boxster/Cayman will feel like. The feeling was missing a bit. Espescially lack of feedback from the front tires.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:37 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by hawc
Yup. I took out an "S" on the weekend for about 45 minutes sans salesman. The car was fast, comfortable and luxurious but it made me want to wait to see what the new Boxster/Cayman will feel like. The feeling was missing a bit. Espescially lack of feedback from the front tires.
Same thing happened to my 997.2S with BBS wheels and Michelin tires; it got real smooth.

ChuckJ

Old 03-06-2012, 06:46 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
What were the N'ring times for the rivals? No data, no case.

ChuckJ

Old 03-06-2012, 07:10 PM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
So this one article is the authoritative answer "confirming" what sceptics have been saying? Never mind the countless other reviews?

Old 03-06-2012, 09:54 PM
Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
like some of us have been saying...or as much as we can say in our short test drives...no?
Agreed. I am glad other 6speeders are starting to acknowledge the large pink elephant in the middle of the room.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by fbroen
So this one article is the authoritative answer "confirming" what sceptics have been saying? Never mind the countless other reviews?
To be fair, many of those reviews that you are referring to admit that there is steering feedback loss and that enthusiasts will nit pick about it. They just did not put it as bluntly as EVO did in this article.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:30 AM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
Many do. Still, there are a lot of positives, too.

As far as the pink elephant, it seems to me it is plenty vocal, lol.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by fbroen
So this one article is the authoritative answer? Never mind the countless other reviews?
Fair point, but as a reader you have to decide which magazines opinion's you value. The vast majority of automobile journalists just write fluff pieces that praise everything about every car. I read Road & Track, Car & Driver, European Car, Automobile, CAR and EVO each month. Of all those I respect EVO the most, and within EVO I respect Chris Harris the most (sadly he's recently moved on to do his own YouTube thing)

So what EVO says carries a lot of weight for me. It was also my own personal experience after a lengthy solo test drive this past weekend.

That said, I'd be curious to test drive a manual, base, 991 with 19" rims and no fancy electronics (PDCC etc) to see if its a very different experience.

Otherwise time to look at Caymans....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EVO Magazine: 991 vs rivals (LONG!)