to PDCC or not...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 03:16 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
dumbed down for mass consumption:

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/tec...1CarreraAllnew

Last edited by EricP; 03-07-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:22 PM
No.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really nice
Originally Posted by zzzspeed
If I was getting a 991, the PDCC would be a "must have". It plays such a significant role in my CTT, but even though the 911 is much lower it still can benefit by such a great invention. From my understanding it does not allow the chassis to lean until the G's are greater then .75, then it lets it lean just a little.
When I am buying a sports car, its not time to be cheap and skip on performance options. I want it to be the best it can be for what it is used for 'sports'. If people want to skip on options to save money then skip on cosmetic ones like carbon fiber, leather, and contrast stitching. Not saying those aren't great too, but performance should far outweigh the looks for a sports car....me thinks.
I was just about to say the same thing. I will cheap out on the cosmetics before I cheap out on performance. For a car like this, it's all about performance first and looks 2nd.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:24 PM
No.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really niceNo.92 is just really nice
Originally Posted by EricP
Nice vid. That sells it to me instantly if I were on the fence.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:03 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Manifold
No doubt PDCC greatly reduces lean, and thereby improves confidence, but I'm still trying to figure out how much measurable performance difference it provides.

Jeez, I'm spending way too much time on this stuff! Should be working, but it's been a tough week, the weather's great right now, and I'm in a mood to goof off.
I wish I could answer your first point. It felt a lot better. And it is one of those things I would second guess myself for leaving off - unlike, for example, ceramic breaks.

As to your second point - I understand completely! This is way more fun!

Old 03-07-2012, 08:10 PM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
I was on the fence whether to order it or not. The writeup below tipped me in favor of taking the leap of faith.

I have only driven a non-PDCC 991 yet. I did not think it rolled excessively, but then again, how would I compare "excessively" if I have not driven one with PDCC.

I will use as daily driver, and would like to do some track but not interested in modding for that given the DD. So the duality of character seems attractive to me.

"On straight roads they [stabilizer bar links] can go limp to essentially remove the stabilizer bar from the picture for a smooth ride. In corners they can be made to "overdrive" what the stabilizer bar could otherwise do on its own to utterly eliminate body roll. Or the computer can dial in any amount of roll stiffness in between, and it can change its mind in real time as road conditions or driver inputs fluctuate.

Porsche calls this Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) and it's the first time they've fit it to a 911-series vehicle. Whatever you call it, it flat works. This very car pulled 1.04 g on our skidpad, and some of the credit has to be put down to the way this system can make use of all four tires instead of leaning heavily on the outside ones.

You could theoretically achieve the same skidpad prowess with a pair of very big stabilizer bars, but then the car would ride like Grade A dog doo. Conversely, a hydraulic anti-roll system such as this doesn't need a physical stabilizer in between the left and right struts at all, but in that case there'd be no fail-safe if the system developed a fault."

Source:
http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...carrera-s.html

Old 03-07-2012, 09:14 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by fbroen
Porsche calls this Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) and it's the first time they've fit it to a 911-series vehicle. Whatever you call it, it flat works. This very car pulled 1.04 g on our skidpad, and some of the credit has to be put down to the way this system can make use of all four tires instead of leaning heavily on the outside ones.
I'm still not clear on how this is achieved. The lateral force at the CG is still governed by speed and radius (mV^2/R), and the transfer of load to the outside tires is still governed by CG height and track width.

In any case, the 1.04 g on the skidpad is quite high, though it also tends to depend on the skidpad radius.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:17 PM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by fbroen
I was on the fence whether to order it or not. The writeup below tipped me in favor of taking the leap of faith.

I have only driven a non-PDCC 991 yet. I did not think it rolled excessively, but then again, how would I compare "excessively" if I have not driven one with PDCC.

I will use as daily driver, and would like to do some track but not interested in modding for that given the DD. So the duality of character seems attractive to me.

"On straight roads they [stabilizer bar links] can go limp to essentially remove the stabilizer bar from the picture for a smooth ride. In corners they can be made to "overdrive" what the stabilizer bar could otherwise do on its own to utterly eliminate body roll. Or the computer can dial in any amount of roll stiffness in between, and it can change its mind in real time as road conditions or driver inputs fluctuate.

You could theoretically achieve the same skidpad prowess with a pair of very big stabilizer bars, but then the car would ride like Grade A dog doo. Conversely, a hydraulic anti-roll system such as this doesn't need a physical stabilizer in between the left and right struts at all, but in that case there'd be no fail-safe if the system developed a fault."

Source:
http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...carrera-s.html
Pure awesome - and you can feel it.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:52 AM
DS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to behold
Test drove yet another white 991S at Carlsen's this time at 102 mph on Hwy 101. Continue to reserve judgement till I drive the 7spd.

The car did not have PDCC, PSE, chrono or any of the goodies - just a base S w/ bose. I asked about the PDCC and Michael Bradely, the sales person said PDCC is the last option people consider on a 991 and first on a cayenne. He sounded convincing to me. I believe, Carlsen has not ordered any with it yet.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:18 PM
NSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really nice
I don't have PDCC just spasm. If I didn't know PDCC existed I would be extremely pleased with the handling of my car. In fact I would be thrilled. Sadly now that I have read the above I wish I had ordered the PDCC. Not sure why.... I just "want" not "need"!

Old 03-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by DS997c2s
Test drove yet another white 991S at Carlsen's this time at 102 mph on Hwy 101. Continue to reserve judgement till I drive the 7spd.

The car did not have PDCC, PSE, chrono or any of the goodies - just a base S w/ bose. I asked about the PDCC and Michael Bradely, the sales person said PDCC is the last option people consider on a 991 and first on a cayenne. He sounded convincing to me. I believe, Carlsen has not ordered any with it yet.
Wow, that's a fail for Carlsen then. I can't believe they wouldn't order any cars with it. Go check out Porsche of Fremont. Those guys are the best. Very friendly and not stuck up like the guys down at Steven's Creek in San Jose. Ask for Barry. He's a great sales guy and was very patient with us. And when I did my test drive there, the vehicle had PDCC.

Last edited by No.92; 03-12-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Havok is a glorious beacon of lightHavok is a glorious beacon of lightHavok is a glorious beacon of lightHavok is a glorious beacon of lightHavok is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Manifold
No doubt PDCC greatly reduces lean, and thereby improves confidence, but I'm still trying to figure out how much measurable performance difference it provides.

Jeez, I'm spending way too much time on this stuff! Should be working, but it's been a tough week, the weather's great right now, and I'm in a mood to goof off.
Weight transfer is not solely for braking and acceleration, you have weight transfer laterally as well. PDCC reduces weight transfer improving grip, improving turn in, and reducing tire wear.

Lurker out.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Havok
Weight transfer is not solely for braking and acceleration, you have weight transfer laterally as well. PDCC reduces weight transfer improving grip, improving turn in, and reducing tire wear.

Lurker out.
Understood that weight (load) transfer is lateral as well, but how does PDCC reduce lateral load transfer? The lateral load is still mv^2/R, the lateral 'torque' is still lateral load times CG height, and the lateral load transfer is still lateral torque divided by track width. What am I missing here?

Old 03-12-2012, 10:36 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Nice reminder with the link EricP! PDCC is very special as is PTV with the special diff. Looking over the option list my guess why PDCC is being left out is simply to get people into these new cars at a price they can afford without scaring them off from thinking they are missing out on anything. So if it's not in the car why poke it under their noses when you know it could most likey make a deal harder to do.

Many can say they dont need this or that, or it numbs the car but the reality is if money wasn't an issue all of theses boxes would be ticked in a heartbeat. For me it would be the 20mm Pasm Sports chassis with PDCC, PTV and Sports chrono (with the dynamic engine mounts)....and also a big bullet to bite into when I write the cheque.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:45 PM
DS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by No.92
Wow, that's a fail for Carlsen then. I can't believe they wouldn't order any cars with it. Go check out Porsche of Fremont. Those guys are the best. Very friendly and not stuck up like the guys down at Steven's Creek in San Jose. Ask for Barry. He's a great sales guy and was very patient with us. And when I did my test drive there, the vehicle had PDCC.
Agree about Steven's creek being stuck up. Bunch of doofuses.

Fremont's John continues to stalk me with phone calls at least twice a week.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:24 AM
Originally Posted by speed21
Many can say they dont need this or that, or it numbs the car but the reality is if money wasn't an issue all of theses boxes would be ticked in a heartbeat.
Not true. Many can afford whatever they want, and will still opt for a simpler, more direct car (eg, manual rather than PDK). Remember, cars are cheap in the US.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: to PDCC or not...