I'm no bigfoot but dang....7spd manual warning!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 04:55 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Manifold
These are worrisome comments about the pedals with the MT, but let's see how it is when driven. IIRC, Evo tested a 991 with MT and didn't note any concerns with the pedals. It's hard to imagine Porsche would screw up something so fundamental.
Yep. To make stuff up like that would be hard to imagine from a company like Porsche. I'm aware it must definitely be a fine balance to get the pedal placement just right for the majority of drivers for the heel toe'ing to be an easy exercise. The real problem can come about in the area between the clutch pedal and dead pedal. But fingers crossed it will be fine...gulp. I'm not sure if I'm ready for PDK just yet.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:11 AM
Johtaja is a splendid one to beholdJohtaja is a splendid one to beholdJohtaja is a splendid one to beholdJohtaja is a splendid one to beholdJohtaja is a splendid one to beholdJohtaja is a splendid one to beholdJohtaja is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by mikegr
I dont think Porsche hasn't think of this detail...
What are you on?

Old 03-08-2012, 05:14 AM
jordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant futurejordanpryce has a brilliant future
There goes the expensive car small...er...feet debate.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:45 AM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
I've been saying it for years but it looks like we've finally reached the precipice...

Manual transmissions are being systematically fazed-out, all purpose build race cars don't have them anymore.
they are quickly becoming an insufficiently performing "relic" to connect man to his machine... purely for driving pleasure.
The problem is Porsche can drop in a PDK and charge you 4K for it, then they can add another 3.5K for the Sport Chrono and... they would have very few issues as it pertains to maintenance costs associated with repairs while the car is under warranty!
Oh and of course the added performance figures they can boost about.

The kicker is... they've put so much effort into making the PDK good and fun to drive (bleeping throttle down-shifts, variable mapping according to setting chosen, power, rev. and torque band dynamics etc) that most hardcore MT guys actually like it or at least are impressed with it (I know I was).

Yep... I wouldn't be surprised if they actually designed the peddles to create some issues with comfort and function... nudging the holdout's a little more towards the PDK...

I'm really hoping I'll still be able to get the MT... even if it is for the last time.

Cheers!

Last edited by Psycho Sid; 03-08-2012 at 06:14 AM. Reason: spelllling
Old 03-08-2012, 07:25 AM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
These cars are tested extensively with all sizes of drivers. It is naive to think the car would go to production if it were anything other than comfortable for all sizes. I know of two people who have taken delivery of manuals and they report zero issues.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:52 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tromero
These cars are tested extensively with all sizes of drivers. It is naive to think the car would go to production if it were anything other than comfortable for all sizes. I know of two people who have taken delivery of manuals and they report zero issues.
While I agree with this I also thing drivers have various and different foot placements. There are different heel/toe methods, some people left foot brake, some tap the brakes while on the gas, etc.

I'm not sure it all depends on the size of the foot.

Each person needs to see for themselves.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:59 AM
EricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond reputeEricP has a reputation beyond repute
I'll want to test drive the MT for fun - I have avg 11 feet but I wear Doc Martens a lot in the winter (boots). clipping pedals would be scary.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:34 AM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
This sounds more like a discussion that should belong in an Italian car forum and some of that Italian engineering, um, charm. I doubt there will be any issues.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:40 AM
Waxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of light
Wow! 10.5 is average shoe size???

I really feel like a lilliputian now! I'm an 8.5 shoe size.

I can't imagine why a three pedal in the new 991 would present a spacing issue with the increased cabin space. I would think the foot box is as big if not bigger then the 997.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:46 PM
GAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to behold
Duh - I didn't even factor in that the brake pedal will be smaller. Non issue given that IMO.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:49 PM
Johtaja is a splendid one to beholdJohtaja is a splendid one to beholdJohtaja is a splendid one to beholdJohtaja is a splendid one to beholdJohtaja is a splendid one to beholdJohtaja is a splendid one to beholdJohtaja is a splendid one to behold
From my experience in the MT 991 I can say that you guys are worrying for no reason. Size 13 kicks here, not a problem playing around with the pedals.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Coming on these threads is a real roller-coaster.... one minute you're going OH NOOO and the next AWESOME.... good thing I'm already bi-poler.

Someone please drive one of these already!

Last edited by Psycho Sid; 03-08-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:16 PM
flavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond repute
Hello all,

You're worrying about nothing. Foot clearance around pedals is subject to government safety requirements, in this case UNECE R35. It is illegal to sell a car with insufficient clearance around the pedals. Smaller companies sometimes get around this by applying for special exceptions, but Porsche is too big to get special treatment.

You will all be fine. Trust me, I do this for a living

Last edited by flavorPacket; 03-09-2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-08-2012, 06:14 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by flavorPacket
Hello all,

You're worrying about nothing. Foot clearance around pedals is subject government safety requirements, in this case UNECE R35. It is illegal to sell a car with insufficient clearance around the pedals. Smaller companies sometimes get around this by applying for special exceptions, but Porsche is too big to get special treatment.

You will all be fine. Trust me, I do this for a living
good info...thanks

Old 03-08-2012, 10:01 PM
HansGT2 is infamous around these parts
I haven't had any problems with my size 12 shoes in my 997 as long as I don't try to wear boots.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I'm no bigfoot but dang....7spd manual warning!