I'm no bigfoot but dang....7spd manual warning!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 08:36 PM
GAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to behold
I'm no bigfoot but dang....7spd manual warning!

I've been on the fence about ordering a 7spd manual vs. PDK. Driven the PDK but obviously there are no manuals here to drive yet. So today I sat in a 991 with my 10.5 size shoe (I'm assuming this is an average foot size) and pretended there was a ghost pedal there. WOW....

There is literally less than an inch of play on each side of my shoe between the dead pedal and the brake pedal. I tested this by holding my foot over the area where the clutch pedal would sit and moving it back and forth to see how much room I'd have.

The short verdict? I can totally see many occasions where I'm trying to shift the car during spirited driving and missing because my foot partially hits the dead pedal and doesn't engage the clutch 100%. IMO it's going to be a challenge unless:

1. You have small feet.
2. Are wearing driving shoes.

My .02

Old 03-07-2012, 08:43 PM
MSCHWA3439 is infamous around these parts
i never drive my 997.2 c4scab without my driving shoes on

Old 03-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Yep I've got the same reservations... however there are a few people who are about to take delivery of a manual so I guess we'll have to be patient and see what the feed back is.

One thing though, the break peddle is MUCH smaller (less than 50%) in the MT, it's the same size as the clutch peddle.

Someone on a another forum took delivery of his MT 991 in Sweden and told me his size 13 was not an issue (big boys those Scandinavians ).
He didn't actually drive it but said he's let us know when the snow melted, which should be soon (Global warming and all).

I'll post up any feed back.

Cheers!

Old 03-07-2012, 09:03 PM
GAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to behold
Sid, good point about the brake pedal being smaller in a MT. Didn't think about that.

Still worried about pedal placement and I'm getting tired of waiting for a MT to hit the dealer lot!

Old 03-07-2012, 09:06 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
My dealer has promised that as soon as a manual comes in I will get a call and check this out.

I think the pedals will be OK. And if not can they be moved?

Also what about when we start modding with Renntech pedals and the like.

I am also concerned about the position of the shifter. I felt high on the test drive of the PDK and I could feel it bothering my rotator cuff injuries. (Too many years of lifting)

The 6 speed shifter in the GTI I have is perfectly placed and as my new toy daily driver it is spoiling me. I hope the positioning in the 991 manual suits me as well.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:10 PM
arthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nice
Originally Posted by GAM3OVR
I've been on the fence about ordering a 7spd manual vs. PDK. Driven the PDK but obviously there are no manuals here to drive yet. So today I sat in a 991 with my 10.5 size shoe (I'm assuming this is an average foot size) and pretended there was a ghost pedal there. WOW....

There is literally less than an inch of play on each side of my shoe between the dead pedal and the brake pedal. I tested this by holding my foot over the area where the clutch pedal would sit and moving it back and forth to see how much room I'd have.

The short verdict? I can totally see many occasions where I'm trying to shift the car during spirited driving and missing because my foot partially hits the dead pedal and doesn't engage the clutch 100%. IMO it's going to be a challenge unless:

1. You have small feet.
2. Are wearing driving shoes.

My .02
Had the chance to sit in a 7MT on Monday night and I can confirm that with my size 10 shoes on I was clipping my shoes when jumping between the clutch and bake pedal. I cannot see how it would work for me. I know even on my 996 which had more room I would sometimes clip both pedals.

At the end of the day I found the 991 MT tight.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:15 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by arthurk
Had the chance to sit in a 7MT on Monday night and I can confirm that with my size 10 shoes on I was clipping my shoes when jumping between the clutch and bake pedal. I cannot see how it would work for me. I know even on my 996 which had more room I would sometimes clip both pedals.

thanks for the info...well that suxs

Old 03-07-2012, 09:27 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !

OH NOOOO
I'm a big boy, just under 6'5 265 pounds size 13 (must have some of that Scandinavian blood in me ) and was really looking forward to get the MT...
Wow that blows!

Re; clipping, the 991 supposedly has a slightly bigger footwell, which I would tent to say seems plausible from my impressions of my 991 PDK tests drives.
So I was hoping that would eliminate or at least alleviate the clipping found in the 996/997 MT...

For some reason ALL the launch/lot cars at my dealer (now or on order) are PDK's
You think you're going to be taking the MT for a test drive?

Old 03-07-2012, 09:36 PM
arthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nicearthurk is just really nice
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
OH NOOOO
I'm a big boy, just under 6'5 265 pounds size 13 (must have some of that Scandinavian blood in me ) and was really looking forward to get the MT...
Wow that blows!

Re; clipping, the 991 supposedly has a slightly bigger footwell, which I would tent to say seems plausible from my impressions of my 991 PDK tests drives.
So I was hoping that would eliminate or at least alleviate the clipping found in the 996/997 MT...

For some reason ALL the launch/lot cars at my dealer (now or on order) are PDK's
You think you're going to be taking the MT for a test drive?
Unfortunately the car I was sitting in was a press car and it is a no go zone for public consumption till they are done with them. I liked the stick setup and the motion between the gates but the pedals put the nail in that coffin for me.

I wont be ordering till I get back from our US trip in May so hopefully I get to see the cab in person by then and have a drive of both. But at $320K I have been asked to think about an AM Vantage S by the one who must be obeyed 911 is in my blood though.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:54 PM
Unfortunately the car I was sitting in was a press car and it is a no go zone for public consumption till they are done with them. I liked the stick setup and the motion between the gates but the pedals put the nail in that coffin for me.

I wont be ordering till I get back from our US trip in May so hopefully I get to see the cab in person by then and have a drive of both. But at $320K I have been asked to think about an AM Vantage S by the one who must be obeyed 911 is in my blood though.
Yeah test drove one as an alternative to the 991S cab (same type of price rage here now that the new 911 has increased).
It' is a beautiful car, very sexy... and the sound!!! OMG, WOW just WOW!
However it felt small inside (tighter than the 991) and the ride... lets just say I'd make sure that "the boss" is OK with it 'cause mine sure wasn't .

Also I personally found it nowhere near as visceral of an experience as the 991S (even with that amazing sound track) the 991 really blew my socks of performance wise.

But if you're looking I'd check out the Masarati Granturismo as well (that sounds even better!) but feels real big (which of course it is).

Regardless, that's the fun part driving all these amazing cars, making a decision or paying for them... that's another story .

Old 03-07-2012, 10:59 PM
JT997 is infamous around these parts
This is interesting. I can't believe guys wearing a 10/10.5 are skeptical of the room in the footwell. I wear a sz 15 and am currently driving a 6 speed 997. I have clipped my other foot every now and then when doing slightly spirited driving, and it's not a good situation. I sat in one of the PDKs at our local dealership last Saturday and thought it felt tighter than my 997. It could have been because of the different brake pedal size as someone stated above. The part I did find a bit uncomfortable at first was that my knee hit the higher console in an uncomfortable place, nothing I couldn't get used to, though I'm 6'6", and all legs, so I have become used to it. It will be interesting to hear how the manual cars "fit" people.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:59 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
I'm an 11.5 and always use my driving shoes as my regular shoes don't quite clear the clutch pedal and the dead pedal (in a 997TT)....so your left foot tends to always clip/catch on the left edge of the clutch pedal every time you go to place your foot back onto the dead pedal after clutching. It's fine with proper driving shoes tho....no problem...plenty of clearance etc. Just happens with regular shoes and some sneakers.

I noticed on the pdk 991's I sat in that the accelerator pedal seems to have moved a bit over from where it used to sit and the larger brake pedal is taking up pretty well all the rest of the room in the footwell. It made me question how the clutch pedal would be accommodated i.e. do they move the accel pedal a bit more over to the right to open the gap for 2 extra pedals?? I can't wait to sit in a 991 manual but all 5 cars I've sat in so far are all pdk. I sure hope they didn't make a mess out of this.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:10 AM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
I wear 11's and have never had a problem in my MT 997. The 991 is a larger car, are you saying that there is less foot space in the 991 as compared to the 997? That seems really odd.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:43 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
These are worrisome comments about the pedals with the MT, but let's see how it is when driven. IIRC, Evo tested a 991 with MT and didn't note any concerns with the pedals. It's hard to imagine Porsche would screw up something so fundamental.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:52 AM
mikegr is infamous around these parts
I dont think Porsche hasn't think of this detail...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I'm no bigfoot but dang....7spd manual warning!