991 vs 997 Manual Foot well photo comparison

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 11:48 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Exclamation 991 vs 997 Manual Footwell photo comparison + 991 PDK footwell too.

Hi guys. As there has been concern regarding the footwell size in the new car, with some speculation it will be a problem for guys with big feet, I have taken a few shots to show the sizes of the footwells and pedal positions of the manual 991 and 997 cars.

As you can see by the photos, the footwell in the new car is definitely no smaller than 997, infact i found it to be actually slightly more roomier than 997. An improvement of sorts. Good to see Porsche is on the ball .

With the 997tt manual, with my size foot 11.5, I find with most general shoes, with exception to driving shoes and the very odd pair of slim lifestyle shoes, the left foot usually just catches on the side of the clutch pedal when going to rest on the dead pedal unless you lift it off the floor. I have a rather broad foot, so to avoid clipping the pedal I've got to lift the heel of my left foot off the floor by a few inches to reposition the heel of the foot so i can drop it through the gap onto the dead pedal without catching. This can be very annoying with regular shoes so, I always wear my size EU46 Puma driving shoes every time i get behind the wheel....which are nice and slim and foot hugging and allow a smooth foot transition across the pedals....no catching anywhere.

Well, with the new 991 I found it surprisingly better because the footwell in the new car seems to allow you to come off the clutch pedal and allow you to just move your foot sideways pivoting off the heel and straight onto the dead pedal, without having to lift the heel up off the floor like before So guys, sleep easy...no need to worry. There is certainly no backward step being taken here with new 991 vs 997. Porsche has actually enhanced the manual footwell size and pedal positions so it's better to use now... even if ever so slightly, but enough to make a nice difference you will feel. Hey, I love this new car . It's a sexy looking beast too.

OK. Now before all you LHD guys start saying "hey speed", "but this is a RHD"! "so it's gonna be different/worse" in someway!!. Well let me say guys that by looking at the 991's passengers side footwell size if anything it appears to be slightly larger than the right hand footwell anyway. So again just settle back, relax and sleep easy guys.... no need for any panicking OK....just order that manual with a big smile.. All's totally cool .

Btw the birkenstocks I'm wearing are a size 12 (EU45) and are broader across the top of the foot again, even so, still there is enough clearance between the clutch and dead pedal so that left foot can move over in a nice easier transition than before....not that i'd ever wear this type of thong to shift a manual IYKWIM It's always shoes (yuk), driving shoes (my EU46 Pumas) or bare feet for me, so I get that nice transitional feel across the pedals during heel toeing, clutching and left foot braking etc.

Hope this helps.

1) First photo is 991 manual footwell showing pedals....empty with no feet.

2) Second photo is 991 manual footwell showing left foot pivoting on the heel to move over on to the dead pedal. Note: there is still enough clearance not to catch on the clutch pedal when moving the foot in and out off the dead pedal. No need to lift the heel up and move foot onto dead pedal as what would happen in a the 997tt footwell with these thongs on.

3) Third photo shows 997tt manual footwell....empty.

4) Forth photo shows my manual 997tt footwell with these size 45 birkenstock clodhoppers. as you can see they fill the well more than the 991 imo if not by a huge amount, but enough for me to notice the difference.

5) Fifth photo shows the 991 manual footwell with bare feet
....heaps of room.....great pedal positions as per usual. God i love the way porsche have their pedals

6) Sixth photo shows manual 991 footwell with bare feet again.

7) Seventh photo shows 991 PDK footwell.
Not bad.

Ahh, ok I think thats enough pic's. I've got more if you need em....just ask and i'll post up some more....but they have feet in them.

Edit: Tks for fixing the shots bob....must have missed doing something and they kept coming up as just links. I'll look into it next time round.

Last edited by speed21; 03-10-2012 at 06:14 PM. Reason: embedded photographs
Old 03-10-2012, 07:38 AM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Thank you so much for the review, let me tell you that you are wayyy more comfortable with your feet then I am LOL 16+ years of basketball have destroyed mine!

Old 03-10-2012, 10:16 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
well done speed...looks for sure now that its a non-issue

Old 03-10-2012, 01:16 PM
Johtaja is a splendid one to beholdJohtaja is a splendid one to beholdJohtaja is a splendid one to beholdJohtaja is a splendid one to beholdJohtaja is a splendid one to beholdJohtaja is a splendid one to beholdJohtaja is a splendid one to behold
Nice write-up!

Looking good there, now all we need to do is drive the MT .

Old 03-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
You're the man!
Thanks!

Old 03-10-2012, 05:47 PM
GAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to behold
The foot fetish contingent here are going to love this thread

Seriously - thanks for the pics. Definitely helpful for the folks ordering the manual sight unseen.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:10 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by uhn2000
Thank you so much for the review, let me tell you that you are wayyy more comfortable with your feet then I am LOL 16+ years of basketball have destroyed mine!
Haha.. Nah well its funny you say that coz i was thinking i was putting myself in for a teasing but heck, it was too warm yesterday so i donned my jeans instead of shorts and offset that by wearing some thongs. Didn't want to fully expose myself for a teasing. Actually driving bare feet is nice in the current temps, and no substitute for pedal feel .

Originally Posted by buckwheat986
well done speed...looks for sure now that its a non-issue
Hey thanks BW and that rep was awfully nice man...totally unexpected . I know we've had our fair share of sword clashing of late, but you never cease to surprise.

Originally Posted by Johtaja
Nice write-up!

Looking good there, now all we need to do is drive the MT .
Don't worry Johtaja, that's all happening next week where i'll be in all 991 variants.. so watch out for my report on that .

Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
You're the man!
Thanks!
Cheers Sid... and thanks for that +1 man. ...awful nice of ya!.

Originally Posted by GAM3OVR
The foot fetish contingent here are going to love this thread

Seriously - thanks for the pics. Definitely helpful for the folks ordering the manual sight unseen.
Hey no problem, and pleasure actually. I really needed to clear it up for myself too. I was getting a bit worried i must say.

On the foot fetish contingent. Oh well i was asking for that. But careful buys....i'm can be homophobic .

Old 04-03-2012, 11:56 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
i kinda wish i got a MT 991 now... hmmm

Old 04-04-2012, 12:16 AM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
Nice work. I also agree that seeing the 991 next to a 997 makes the latter seem very dated. So weird how new cars can do this to slightly used ones.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:26 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by wa1l1in
i kinda wish i got a MT 991 now... hmmm

It's a very sweet set up....i can vouch for that .

Originally Posted by zzzspeed
Nice work. I also agree that seeing the 991 next to a 997 makes the latter seem very dated. So weird how new cars can do this to slightly used ones.
Yeh but they keep doing it. Amazing....

Old 04-04-2012, 09:01 AM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
Thongs

Hey Speed,

I understand what you mean when you say thong, but do you know what that usually refers to in in the US?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thong_(clothing)

Old 04-05-2012, 08:14 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Sapster
Hey Speed,

I understand what you mean when you say thong, but do you know what that usually refers to in in the US?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thong_(clothing)

Hey sap you're being very cheeky!

Out here those are called G strings. And no you won't be finding anything like that anywhere near me unless it's on a woman. Now If you see a guy wearing one of those things then don't drop the soap in the shower...

Old 04-05-2012, 09:28 AM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by speed21
Hey sap you're being very cheeky!

Out here those are called G strings. And no you won't be finding anything like that anywhere near me unless it's on a woman. Now If you see a guy wearing one of those things then don't drop the soap in the shower...
Even though the wiki doesn't mention it, I know that the Australian definition also applies in english speaking countries in Europe too. It used to always elicit a sophomoric chuckle from me when I saw the word used innocently in the UK (much like your footastic post above).

Old 09-18-2012, 02:37 AM
darknight is infamous around these parts
that's all I wanted to know...

Great work, speed21!

I've been wondering how spacious RHD 981 boxster (not 991, sorry!)'s footwell is coz I knew RHD 987 (again, it's a boxster...) 's footwell was never big enough for my left foot to settle.

Here in Japan, very few people order RHD-MT Porsche.
This is really weird as cars are driven on the left in this country like in UK. Only 1% of Porsche marketed in JPN are RHD-MT. Most are LHD-PDK. So, even the official porsche dealer does't carry RHD-MT cars for demo.

Although the pics are all from 991/997, you helped me a lot to make a decision to order my RHD MT 981. Thanks!

Old 09-18-2012, 03:03 AM
JakeGW is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the info

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 991 vs 997 Manual Foot well photo comparison