HELP!!! to "S" or not to "S"...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 04:09 AM
19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of
So my 991 is replaceing a 997.2 that replaced a 997.1. All were/are Base cars and I have never had any regrets. For me, this is a daily driver that does not see the track. I would get the same options in either the S or the Base and the $$$ difference would have been close to $11,000. My current 997.2 is more than fast enough to get into all kinds of trouble, so I just could not justify the extra money for more HP and torque. The Base fits all of my needs, so that is what I ordered.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:40 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 19hole
So my 991 is replaceing a 997.2 that replaced a 997.1. All were/are Base cars and I have never had any regrets. For me, this is a daily driver that does not see the track. I would get the same options in either the S or the Base and the $$$ difference would have been close to $11,000. My current 997.2 is more than fast enough to get into all kinds of trouble, so I just could not justify the extra money for more HP and torque. The Base fits all of my needs, so that is what I ordered.
Sounds excellent! And agree totally the base is ample fast enough. Trick is just enjoy the car and don't EVER get lured into driving the more powerful versions. Changing em over as the new models come thru is the most cost efficient way of owning these cars for sure. There's definitely no flies on a base car, a hugely rewarding drive!. The reviews seem to always say that. Problem starts when you head up the ladder into the more $ models. The more you pay the more you lose and it can become an ever decreasing circle if you're not careful.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:22 AM
slowlane is infamous around these parts
so what you're saying is that maybe porsche was onto something when it decided to release the pdk s version first?

i will say that its not entirely the money, but you have to stop somewhere. i suppose if i couldnt afford an s i shouldnt be looking at a 911 in the first place! this decision shouldnt be that hard! but either way, it will be the best porsche i have ever owned!

Old 03-13-2012, 07:24 AM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
For me ordering the base over the S was not a matter of money. It was a matter of which offered the purest driving experience and the base car, with it's absence of PASM, PDCC and all other matter of artificial "enhancements" was the clear choice. I too have had a base 997.1, 997.2 and now a 991 on the way ( all MT of course). The idea that the base car is only purchased by those who can't pony up for the S is pure folly. Some, like me, actually prefer the base car and the experience it delivers.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:42 AM
Originally Posted by tromero
For me ordering the base over the S was not a matter of money. It was a matter of which offered the purest driving experience and the base car, with it's absence of PASM, PDCC and all other matter of artificial "enhancements" was the clear choice. I too have had a base 997.1, 997.2 and now a 991 on the way ( all MT of course). The idea that the base car is only purchased by those who can't pony up for the S is pure folly. Some, like me, actually prefer the base car and the experience it delivers.
dont even get me started on the manny v. pdk! I want my wife to be comfortable driving this car under any circumstance (she can row, dont get me wrong, but she doesnt have nearly the mt miles as i do) plus the sound of the pdk slamming the gears at wot is intoxicating.

i LOVE manuals. always have... something still tells me to get the 7MT...

Old 03-13-2012, 07:49 AM
exponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to behold
The idea that the base car is only purchased by those who can't pony up for the S is pure folly. Some, like me, actually prefer the base car and the experience it delivers.

Although I chose the S, I fully agree with above

Old 03-13-2012, 07:57 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
The idea that the base car is only purchased by those who can't pony up for the S is pure folly. Some, like me, actually prefer the base car and the experience it delivers.
At the PSDS school the instructors recommended to me that to learn to be a decent track driver, get a no option base carrera and learn to drive the hell out of it.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:05 AM
texex91 is a jewel in the roughtexex91 is a jewel in the roughtexex91 is a jewel in the roughtexex91 is a jewel in the rough
I am an 'S' guy all the way. I had a 2011 997 S, and got the 991 S and LOVE it. Because I do not take it to the track ever, and it's really a semi-daily driver the PDK and other accessories are appreciated. I never want to buy a Porsche and regret later not having what I really wanted. Just my .02.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:50 PM
aamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to beholdaamersa is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by slowlane

I am so torn between the base car or the S.
If torn between them safer to go S to avoid doubts later.

No one "needs" an S but some of us "want" it, so we get it. Similarly a 911 is not a necessity, but we all in this forum yearn for it. No one actually needs it. So a discussion about necessary or required or adequate is really not too relevant.
Instead this hobby is more about getting psychological satisfaction and how one achieves that varies based on an individual's psychology. Since you obviously have the S bug in you, no amount of rational logic by any one on this forum to convince you that the base is more than adequate, will eliminate the possibility of doubts/regrets later.
Nevertheless if you decide to go base, I agree with all that it can not be a wrong decision.

Last edited by aamersa; 03-13-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:42 PM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
Save some money and have a better car - pass on pdk.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by m5_2010
Save some money and have a better car - pass on pdk.
have you driven one with pdk?

i have never felt a smoother more rapid shifting transmission. it is near instantaneous. if you paddle shift it, it changes gears nearly before you lift off the button. It is easily the best auto I have ever driven. pdk+sport chrono = .4 second in 0-60 over the manual. that is 10% faster. 0-100 is .7 faster in the pdk car.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:47 PM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
For me manual = 100% more fun. Who cares about splitting hairs with tenths Of seconds here and there. I'm sure an advanced sex robot could please ladies faster than us guys but wouldn't you rather do the job yourself?

Old 03-13-2012, 05:15 PM
I'm sure an advanced sex robot could please ladies faster than us guys but wouldn't you rather do the job yourself?
yes, but im sure there are many ladies out there that might have a different opinion.

I suppose this is why Porsche still make both.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:27 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
base vs "S" is debated to death...drive both, decide for yourself then get out there and enjoy.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
base vs "S" is debated to death...drive both, decide for yourself then get out there and enjoy.
CANT!!!!

My dealer only has an S and I want to order now!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! to "S" or not to "S"...