HELP!!! to "S" or not to "S"...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 07:42 PM
slowlane is infamous around these parts
HELP!!! to "S" or not to "S"...

I'm diving into a Porsche, come hell or high water. SO, unless a 997 drops into my lap, I am going to order a 991.

I am so torn between the base car or the S. This has probably been discussed ad nauseam and for that I apologize.

I have built identical cars, bringing the base up to the same options as the S (added PASM, PTV, 20" sport wheels) and the spread is $9,160.

Im getting sportchrono pdk, so the difference in 0-60 is .3 seconds (4.2-3.9). The biggest difference is in 0-100, 9.7 v. 8.7. I can't even use gas mileage to separate the two as they are nearly identical 20/28 base, 20/27 S.

I've had fast cars and these are both fast... is 50 hp (probably 35-40 rwhp) and 38 lb ft of torque worth $10m?

the way i have them spec'd, its 97,550 V. 106,710.

Thats about $300 a month in a lease payment...

HELP? Please?

tia.

SL

Old 03-12-2012, 07:55 PM
tgcrun is infamous around these parts
Are you sure the difference in lease payments is $300 per month? That seems high for $9000.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by tgcrun
Are you sure the difference in lease payments is $300 per month? That seems high for $9000.
no.

i was ball parking based on $30 per $1000. I'll have the actual numbers tomorrow.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:14 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tgcrun

Hard to go too wrong. I have an S coming. One reason I ordered an S was that years ago I had a BMW Z3 which I purchased with the smaller engine. I always regretted it. Unlike the 991 base, the base Z3 was not that fast. That memory biases me the "engine up". Also, put me in the camp that thinks PDCC is a must and you can't get it in the base. I live in New Jersey so, short of a track day, I can't really go fast. But I can get to 35 mph quicker than most. Seriously, I like torque and the difference in acceleration at lower speeds is considerable.

Good luck with your selection. They are both brilliant cars.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by AG991
Hard to go too wrong. I have an S coming. One reason I ordered an S was that years ago I had a BMW Z3 which I purchased with the smaller engine. I always regretted it. Unlike the 991 base, the base Z3 was not that fast. That memory biases me the "engine up". Also, put me in the camp that thinks PDCC is a must and you can't get it in the base. I live in New Jersey so, short of a track day, I can't really go fast. But I can get to 35 mph quicker than most. Seriously, I like torque and the difference in acceleration at lower speeds is considerable.

Good luck with your selection. They are both brilliant cars.
i understand your position entirely as I have done the same thing... on the flip side, i had a 2010 Cadillac CTSV which was as fast as most anything out there and it was utterly a waste. I could jump on it for 3 or 4 seconds, but by then i was doing 1000 miles per hour.

Regarding the PDCC, I have not and refuse to educate myself on it, because I'll probably want it and I have to stop somewhere! The 991S I have driven didnt have it, nor did it have sportchrono. I think the addition of sportchrono will more than satisfy any want I have for anything else!

Old 03-12-2012, 08:33 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by slowlane
i understand your position entirely as I have done the same thing... on the flip side, i had a 2010 Cadillac CTSV which was as fast as most anything out there and it was utterly a waste. I could jump on it for 3 or 4 seconds, but by then i was doing 1000 miles per hour.

Regarding the PDCC, I have not and refuse to educate myself on it, because I'll probably want it and I have to stop somewhere! The 991S I have driven didnt have it, nor did it have sportchrono. I think the addition of sportchrono will more than satisfy any want I have for anything else!
Seems like as sound a reasoning as any other. Or at least as good a set of massive rationalizations as my budget allowed me to make! Enjoy! It will be a great car.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:44 PM
GTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really nice
I would get a basic "S" before ordering a "souped up" base! I have a base model now and have spent $$$ getting it up to "S" like horsepower! Believe me, once you drive it off the lot, you'll wish you had the extra horsepower. You can't buy engine displacement once you drive off the lot! You'll also get better brakes on the "S." It would cost me upwards of $5K on my 997 now to upgrade to 997S type brakes.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:55 PM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
...i was just about to mention the brakes as one (perhaps helpful) distinguishing point.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by fbroen
...i was just about to mention the brakes as one (perhaps helpful) distinguishing point.
its funny. i was looking through the brochure (YES, they still make brochures!) and saw those big red brembos. big brakes =

Old 03-12-2012, 09:13 PM
TuefelHuden991 is infamous around these parts
S it!

After weeks of blowing up the configurator deciding between an S or Base... like you probably... I finally ordered a stripped down S with a few goodies. Only a couple hundred more than a loaded base 991 lease at the most. If you get the base the S will always be in the back of your head. I have a base 997.2 now. And when one of us pulls up next to you in a S....well you know. Build both in the config and talk to a dealer to give you the price work outs. So you'll know exact numbers of each. So far I have no regrets ordering the S.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by TuefelHuden991
Build both in the config and talk to a dealer to give you the price work outs. So you'll know exact numbers of each. So far I have no regrets ordering the S.
precisely what ive done.

i certainly dont want to pull up next to an S and have S envy because I wanted to save a couple $.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:47 PM
hashrogers is infamous around these parts
A very tough decision indeed. I just went through it. Succumbed to the S. but either ways you can't go too wrong. And you are right. Spec to spec there is a difference of 300 bucks a month on the lease. Check out my recent thread for all thr views and advice. It will help.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:38 PM
fixedupw203 is infamous around these parts
I opted NOT to S (mainly because I am getting a cab). Had I ordered the coupe I would have gone with the S.

My reasoning is 2 fold. I want to keep it under 113 and while I could get a stripped down S with PDK and Sports Chrono, I value the rest of my options more than I would the extra 50 hp and large brakes (only in the front i believe).

Premium Package Plus, Bose, PSE, and SportsDesign Steering wheel are much more important to me than getting an S.

At the end of the day, you are getting a brand new 991. i recommend test driving both if possible and determine which one you will be happier with. The extra ~$300 per month or the extra 50hp.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:16 AM
exponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to behold
Beside the financial between base and S which you can calculate on the paper. The base car will be more comfortable to ride. If comfortable is more important than going a bit faster then base would be a good choice.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:23 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Ultimately it's a decision that comes down to money. If you've got the $ for the S then go the S. If ya don't, then Carrera is perfectly fine. No bad decision here.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! to "S" or not to "S"...