991 Cabriolet is at US Port

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 08:26 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AG991
I think there is a dummy for sure, but he/she/they are in Germany!

Old 03-15-2012, 08:31 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Newman
After a long wait, the ship carrying my car arrived at the Davisville, RI port this morning. Opted to forego the full leather and the ceramic brakes, just too much money & I wanted the performance options. Surprised myself and went with PDK after driving a dealer car with the paddle shifters.

One thing is for sure, it's going to be a lot different than the GT3 I have been using as a daily driver for the last three years.

Carrera S Cabriolet
Agate Grey Metallic
Cabriolet Roof in Black
BOSE(R) Audio Package
Sirius XM(R) Satellite Radio Package
Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way)
Premium Package Plus with Adaptive Sport Seats Plus
Black leather front seats
Sport Exhaust System
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC)
SportDesign steering wheel
Sport Chrono Package
20-inch Carrera S wheel
Wheel spacers, 5 mm
Wheel center caps with colored PorscheCrest
Smoking package

Enough with keys and fobs. Newman, any new news about your delivery date?

Old 03-15-2012, 08:36 PM
Fnulli997tt is infamous around these parts
Sorry for messing up your tread Newman! Just trying to clarify that you not only are getting a great car but also some great and cool features.

Congrats, I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures :-)

Old 03-15-2012, 08:39 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fnulli997tt
Don't get me wrong and I'm not saying anybody is lying but... The years I owned my Cayenne Turbo I NEVER had any problems with the keyless system. And honestly, no problem with any battery getting drained neither!

Regarding the situation with some friends moving the car I really don't understand this!
Was the car locked? All I know is that when you lock the car you can't even open it unless you are like very very close to the car! My wife often complained about her waiting a couple of seconds before she could get in if I was just a couple of steps behind her!
Maybe if you don't lock your car you can then start the car as long as you are nearby! Buy this is also possible in a Mercedes - I have several of times tried to get dropped off by my wife and she then takes off only to have her on the phone 30 sec later telling me that the car is warning her that no key is found (in 30 sec you can drive quite a distance actually) :-)
You are correct there is a warning "key not detected" which is activated by range (not time), this to notify that the car will stop functioning... soon!

It's also very possible that Porsche has a different system than Benz.
With the Benz even if it's locked, all you have to do is touch a little square on the door handle and the car will unlock (if it detects that the key is in range).

As to feeling the need to add "Don't get me wrong and I'm not saying anybody is lying but"... I'm taking the time to share what I have experienced with this system, your experience is different.
We can agree to disagree, no need for that type of "insinuating" statement.

Edit..
Yup, my apologies as well for the hijack, just responding to the concerns you raised.
Cheers!

Last edited by Psycho Sid; 03-15-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:50 PM
Sorry if I expressed my self in a wrong way - this was not my intention at all (I'm from Europe so maybe I just don't express my self good enough when writing in English) Please accept my apology!

Assuming the 991 works the same way as the Cayenne you can't just press the square button on the handle - this only works when the "key holder" is within touching distance of the car.
In that way, if you lock your car you don't have to worry about people (or friends - LOL) stealing your car!

Old 03-15-2012, 08:54 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
We seem to all be getting cars with these features so we will all see soon. In the meantime, I am going into the lead-lined key box business! I will offer it in finishes that match your paint with Porsche, Merc, BMW or Audi logo on it. I may be able to afford to pay of the keyless entry option with the profits.

Thanks both Sid and Fnulli997tt for some great comments. Newman should be able to test all of this out within days!

Old 03-15-2012, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by Fnulli997tt
Sorry if I expressed my self in a wrong way - this was not my intention at all (I'm from Europe so maybe I just don't express my self good enough when writing in English) Please accept my apology!

Assuming the 991 works the same way as the Cayenne you can't just press the square button on the handle - this only works when the "key holder" is within touching distance of the car.
In that way, if you lock your car you don't have to worry about people (or friends - LOL) stealing your car!
No worries, but thank you.
It sounds like Porsche may have learned from the design flaws of other manufactures .

But I'd be very interested to hear your feedback on this system when you get your "baby" Newman.

Cheers!

Old 03-15-2012, 08:57 PM
cayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant future
Regarding keyless start, I guess Porsche system is very different than Benz's...

First of all, the key should be inside the car to start the car. If the door is open and yet the key is outside the car by 1 inch, the car would not start. My dealer demonstrated this for me.

To unlock the car, you (with the key) need to be right beside the door handle. If you are on the passenger side and someone else is on the driver's side, "someone" cannot unlock the door before you. Only the door you are standing by can be unlocked. Same goes for locking the car too.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by cayenne958
Regarding keyless start, I guess Porsche system is very different than Benz's...

First of all, the key should be inside the car to start the car. If the door is open and yet the key is outside the car by 1 inch, the car would not start. My dealer demonstrated this for me.

To unlock the car, you (with the key) need to be right beside the door handle. If you are on the passenger side and someone else is on the driver's side, "someone" cannot unlock the door before you. Only the door you are standing by can be unlocked. Same goes for locking the car too.
Another get-rich-quick plan in the WC!. Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like a good system. It should also confuse my wife enough to ensure she will not drive when I am not home!. We now return this thread to Newman, already in progress.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:06 PM
Psycho Sid: I didn't see that you wrote your car was a "push start cab". I assumed it was a Porsche why I wrote what I did. Again - sorry ;-)

I agree that we can all laugh at Porsche for making the dummy key but they have developed a system were you can't upen the doors without having your key in your pocket or similar.
Apparently the manufactor of Sid's car could learn some tricks from the engineers at Porsche :-)

I've said enough - Newman, once again congrats on your new car ;-)

Old 03-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by AG991
Another get-rich-quick plan in the WC!. Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like a good system. It should also confuse my wife enough to ensure she will not drive when I am not home!. We now return this thread to Newman, already in progress.
Hahaha you're a funny guy!!
Thanks for the laughs

Old 03-15-2012, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
Hahaha you're a funny guy!!
Thanks for the laughs
Who knew a patent attorney could be funny? I have enjoyed many of your comments as well so right back at you.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:34 PM
fixedupw203 is infamous around these parts
Man I totally opened a can of worms! Sorry Neuman!

If the key only opens the door you are standing by than does that mean you have to push the unlock door button inside the car to unlock the other door?

Seems like it's easier to just push the damn button on the key fob haha

Old 03-15-2012, 09:42 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
What's the Smoking Package?

Old 03-15-2012, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by eldertec
What's the Smoking Package?
The bigger question is whether or not it involves a dummy lighter! Seriously, a lighter and ashtray in the center console. I should have ordered it -good place to plug a trickle charger.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 Cabriolet is at US Port