Boxster follows in footsteps of the 991

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 09:27 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Boxster follows in footsteps of the 991

Some of you may be interested in this article on the new Boxster, which has apparently followed the path of the new 911 (longer wheelbase, wider tracks, faster lap times, more luxury, electric steering, less driver connection, etc.):

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...xster_s_drive/

Old 03-16-2012, 09:42 AM
19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of
And I think it looks really nice!

Old 03-16-2012, 10:00 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
The Chris Harris video review is interesting. Link is on boxster forum

He claims he likes steering in the new 981 boxster is better than in the 991.

He was never a boxster fan and now he is not sure which we would pick...991 or 981. I think he misses the low end torque of the 991 in the boxster.

I have to say I am not thrilled with the 981 rear end styling.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:07 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 19hole
Agreed, I love the look.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:36 PM
Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !
I am just thinking out loud here...

I saw the Harris review on the boxster forum where he thoroughly flushed out his opinion on the electric steering system. Where was all that when he reviewed the 991? Geez...

After learning more about the 981 and seeing that it laps the n ring in 7:58...I am starting to feel a little disappointed by the 991. And it doesn't help that the boxster/cayman costs about half of a 120-130k 991.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:06 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Inglorious

I saw the Harris review on the boxster forum where he thoroughly flushed out his opinion on the electric steering system. Where was all that when he reviewed the 991? Geez...
i think Harris pointed out that he doesn`t love the decision they made with the electric steering system but it was inevitable to match future CAFE standards, emission laws in europe etc. and he also said that among all the el. steering systems on the market the one in the new Porsches is by far the best and most communicative. i personally can live with that cause it makes sense and keep in mind, that it´s just the 1st generation of el. steering systems and like the PDK i am sure they will improve it big time on the next generations.
BUT what`s really senseless and can`t be improved and really pisses me off is that they replaced the traditional handbrake.
it would have been such a nice and classy touch and so much more fun (winter etc.) to keep that thing alive!
(save the manuals and handbrakes!)

After learning more about the 981 and seeing that it laps the n ring in 7:58...I am starting to feel a little disappointed by the 991. And it doesn't help that the boxster/cayman costs about half of a 120-130k 991.
about half, but only if you leave out all the nice options. with the nice options it´s closer but still significantly cheaper!

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 03-16-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:23 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !

yes...it is an interesting thought...he didn't go into much detail in the 991 review as i recall...but he was clear he liked the steering in the 981 better. Which I find strange.

I own both platforms in the earlier version and I prefer the 997 heavier steering feel better.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 19hole
I'd take it over the outgoing car all day long. It looks sensational! Rear may look a bit odd with that crease tho but i'll reserve judgement till i see it in the flesh. Still, if i was in the market for a Boxster i'd take this baby hands down over the current one regardless of what some may say. Bottom line is whatever the car misses out on (for some) now it does it cleaner and faster.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by speed21
I'd take it over the outgoing car all day long. It looks sensational! Rear may look a bit odd with that crease tho but i'll reserve judgement till i see it in the flesh. Still, if i was in the market for a Boxster i'd take this baby hands down over the current one regardless of what some may say. Bottom line is whatever the car misses out on (for some) now it does it cleaner and faster.
I guess you don't want to drive it before deciding?

Old 03-16-2012, 10:47 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Manifold
I guess you don't want to drive it before deciding?
Well, based on the looks and improvements to the dynamics, and, if its anything like 991 then i doubt i'd be given any motivation to go out and buy the outgoing car that's for 100% certain.

Btw, after driving 991 manual last week i'd have to say i can see why there are sore butts out there amongst 996/997 camp. Didn't want to post up my experience coz to be honest I've heard enough squealing going on over the new car already I couldn't bare to listen to anymore to be frank. I guess when i get time to drive pdkS next week the problem will probably become even clearer.....but don't ask me to review it. Mind you I'm sure you will say you knew i was going to say that anyway Anyway, sorry manifold...can't bring myself to part of the (your) naysayer group on this.. I'm sure there will always be someone out there with an axe to grind on Porsches new technology but for me I like being honest with myself. It's just the way i am. Whether I've got the money to afford the new car or not I have to call something for what it is. Running around like a jilted lover trying to convince everyone otherwise is not my bag...embarrassing really..

Last edited by speed21; 03-16-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:07 PM
mark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud of
New Boxster looks amazing. At every angle, looks very substantial. Best looking car in the Porsche lineup so far...except 2008 Targa 4S..LOL

Old 03-17-2012, 12:56 AM
Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
yes...it is an interesting thought...he didn't go into much detail in the 991 review as i recall...but he was clear he liked the steering in the 981 better. Which I find strange.

I own both platforms in the earlier version and I prefer the 997 heavier steering feel better.
For me, the review was interesting because it raised more questions than answered for me. Even more puzzling is that Chris Harris went from being lukewarm about the steering system in the 991 to flat out admitting that it is a bad idea in the 981 review.

991 Review
“…It is not the perfect steering system. It does lose some of that feeling.”
“…So steering, yah, a pleasant surprise. I thought it would be a real problem.”

981 Review
“Here’s my thoughts on electrical steering. Fundamentally, no, it is a bad idea…Do I love it? No, I don’t…It is the weakest part of the [boxster] package…”

Old 03-17-2012, 01:51 AM
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow

about half, but only if you leave out all the nice options. with the nice options it´s closer but still significantly cheaper!
In the states, boxsters are very lightly optioned. So the average boxster on a dealer lot will be almost half of the average 991.

Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
i think Harris pointed out that he doesn`t love the decision they made with the electric steering system but it was inevitable to match future CAFE standards, emission laws in europe etc. and he also said that among all the el. steering systems on the market the one in the new Porsches is by far the best and most communicative. i personally can live with that cause it makes sense and keep in mind, that it´s just the 1st generation of el. steering systems and like the PDK i am sure they will improve it big time on the next generations.
BUT what`s really senseless and can`t be improved and really pisses me off is that they replaced the traditional handbrake.
it would have been such a nice and classy touch and so much more fun (winter etc.) to keep that thing alive!
(save the manuals and handbrakes!)
[rant]

Ugh…I am so frustrated when people (not you of course catchmyshadow) on the left and the right make these regulations and try to tell me what is best for me when it comes to global climate change when 9 out of 10 of these guys probably cannot even tell me what carbon cycling is. How can these people talk about emissions, carbon footprints, greenhouse gasses or anything related to global climate change when they cannot even describe a simple term or talk about the larger picture? Don’t get me wrong. I am all for creating a more sustainable future. But, I am just so frustrated that Porsche did all these wild and crazy things by putting in an electronic steering system just to save a fraction of one measly MPG. It is maddening and ludicrous.

[/rant]

I just had to vent. Question. Does anyone know if it is cheaper to build electronic steering systems over hydraulic ones?

Old 03-17-2012, 07:13 AM
Get a boxster or new cayman and drop a TPC turbo in it for 15K and then you have a monster. Wonder what the ring time would be on that beast.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:24 AM
Originally Posted by speed21
Well, based on the looks and improvements to the dynamics, and, if its anything like 991 then i doubt i'd be given any motivation to go out and buy the outgoing car that's for 100% certain.

Btw, after driving 991 manual last week i'd have to say i can see why there are sore butts out there amongst 996/997 camp. Didn't want to post up my experience coz to be honest I've heard enough squealing going on over the new car already I couldn't bare to listen to anymore to be frank. I guess when i get time to drive pdkS next week the problem will probably become even clearer.....but don't ask me to review it. Mind you I'm sure you will say you knew i was going to say that anyway Anyway, sorry manifold...can't bring myself to part of the (your) naysayer group on this.. I'm sure there will always be someone out there with an axe to grind on Porsches new technology but for me I like being honest with myself. It's just the way i am. Whether I've got the money to afford the new car or not I have to call something for what it is. Running around like a jilted lover trying to convince everyone otherwise is not my bag...embarrassing really..
So are saying you like the 991 or not? After all the drama, we need to know your driving impression. And no, no one's saying it's not one of the best sports cars in its price range. The debate is only about how it compares with the 997.

Last edited by Manifold; 03-17-2012 at 07:27 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Boxster follows in footsteps of the 991