help: need advice on interior protection 991S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 06:31 PM
hashrogers is infamous around these parts
help: need advice on interior protection 991S

Hi guys,

Will be picking up my 991S soon IA>
The dealer is smacking me with various protection options.

1. Interior leather protection (apparently helps protect the leather)
Is it worth it? Does it smell the same and original?
2. Paint sealant?
3. 3M stone guard
4. Tires and Rims (up to $5K)

Would really appreciate any feedback on the above.
Need to decide soon!

Thanks

Hash

Old 03-18-2012, 06:50 PM
NC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant future
See my comments tied to your questions below.

Originally Posted by hashrogers
Hi guys,

Will be picking up my 991S soon IA>
The dealer is smacking me with various protection options.

1. Interior leather protection (apparently helps protect the leather)
Is it worth it? Does it smell the same and original?

Absolutely not. They'll spray something that smells good and tell you it's protecting your leather. It's pure profit for the dealer. Get a good leather cleaner and a good leather conditioner, and take care of the seats yourself.

2. Paint sealant?

Huh?.. .. do they really still offer that?.. Nothing but more profit.. If you wash and wax the car, even semi-regularly, you don't need "it" (I'm still not sure what paint sealant is on a car with clearcoat).

3. 3M stone guard

If you're talking 'clear bra', then I'd have to say yes (some will disagree). It doesn't take much to put a chip in the paint on a 911 primarily because the nose is so low, and there's little to guard agains flying 'missiles'. If the cost is reasonable, then by all means, go for it. I put it on the leading edges of my car when I bought it. I wouldn't buy another new high end car without a clear bra.

4. Tires and Rims (up to $5K)

Not sure what coverage your talking about, but I did buy tire and wheel insurance when I bought my car. The cost wasn't that much, in fact, it was less than the cost of a replacement factory wheel. Cheap insurance when you hit a pothole at night.

My only concern is it appears your dealer is trying to gouge you. Paint protectant went away with clearcoat paint - it is your paint's protectant. If they're trying to sell you snake oil, then I'd be careful paying too much for any additional coverages.

Would really appreciate any feedback on the above.
Need to decide soon!

Thanks

Hash

Old 03-18-2012, 07:00 PM
yellowbull is infamous around these partsyellowbull is infamous around these parts
I'm in the car business..... So 3M 100% yes but you can get it cheaper if you go direct or find a place that does it. Tire and wheel yes thy should only cost u 4 or 5 hundred max. The other stuff us garbage. The best way to maintain your leather is wipe it down with water and treat it once in a while with leather conditioner. Stay away from all the the gimmicky stuff. Good luck.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:16 PM
Thanks so much guys. I will do just that! The 5k mentioned is not the cost but the max amount they will warranty after which I will have to pay. The cost is around 800 bucks.

I guess the 3m is important. I would have preferred without it. But better will get it.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:28 PM
Newman is a jewel in the roughNewman is a jewel in the roughNewman is a jewel in the rough
Thanks so much guys. I will do just that! The 5k mentioned is not the cost but the max amount they will warranty after which I will have to pay. The cost is around 800 bucks.

I guess the 3m is important. I would have preferred without it. But better will get it.
You won't regret the clear bra - after a while you won't see it and it works

Old 03-18-2012, 07:57 PM
Very clear now. Thanks guys.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:17 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Very clear now. Thanks guys.
The clear bra is a yes. The wheel and tire and package is insurance. The tires are $5-700/each and who knows how much the wheels are. If you are in an area with good roads, maybe no. If you are in New Jersey - it is no maybe.
Good luck, enjoy, and drive in good health.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:32 PM
SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !SM_ATL Is a GOD !
Ripped a tire after less than 3 weeks... Replacement cost was already the same value as the insurance! Go for it!

Old 03-18-2012, 08:36 PM
Thanks. here are the details :

Ride green certified tire and rim : 4 years $1k (max $5k in damages. after that you pay actuals)

Appearance guard against dents, dings, windshield repair (not replace), rip, tear, burn : $1k
Alloy wheel option $300 (minor scuffs and hitting curbs etc)

Thanks