Clarkson reviews 991

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 08:20 PM
hashrogers is infamous around these parts
Great review! Finally clarkson becomes a porsche fan. can't wait to see it on TG UK.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:46 PM
carcommander is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
This was Top Gear's review of the 997 turbo vs 430. I can't wait to hear what he thinks of a 991 turbo.

Chuck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO7XvOt9suM&feature=fvsr
This is fun. I owned both cars at the same time and he is right.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:57 PM
5hlinmd is a jewel in the rough5hlinmd is a jewel in the rough5hlinmd is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by GAM3OVR
Raise your hand if you just read that review with Clarkson's voice in your head.
Hand up!

Old 03-20-2012, 11:06 AM
2008911tt is infamous around these parts
Decent review by Clarkson and truth be told, Clarkson is probably more of a Porsche fan than he would ever admit. I have to admit that while I have personally examined the new 991s, I have yet to drive one; preferring to wait for the Turbo - the only 991 I might consider. Being a long time Porsche fanatic and current owner of a 997 Turbo I have to say I was somewhat displeased with the new 991. The sun roof is an abomination, the rear end looks like a morphed Panamera rear end, and the ****pit is also very much Panamera-like. All in all a disappointment. My fear with Volkswagen as owner and the announcement of a new small Porsche SUV on an Audi platform, that we are witnessing the weakening of the Porsche marque toward a more generic automobile manufacturer. I hope I am wrong. But, if I am not, we will be watching an industry leading 18% profit margin manufacturer of arguably the finest affordable high performance cars in the world devolve into something that few true Porschephiles would even acknowledge as Porsches.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:45 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Sapster

Clarkson’s verdict:*A fab carmade useless*by a puncture
Wonder if there is a "hack" spare solution for these cars like we have in the 997? If not, that really is a shame - makes it sort of a "near the city" / "near the dealer" sort of a car: fun car, but you need a spare car with working tires nearby in case of flats.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:56 AM
2008911tt is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by stevepow
Wonder if there is a "hack" spare solution for these cars like we have in the 997? If not, that really is a shame - makes it sort of a "near the city" / "near the dealer" sort of a car: fun car, but you need a spare car with working tires nearby in case of flats.

Well the solution in the 997 might get you to a safe place or the nearest tire store but squirting that tire sealer in will destroy the tire pressure sensor and will make a real mess to clean up off the inside of the wheel. Certainly not ideal and won't be cheap to fix but better than being stranded. Of course there is always the Porsche roadside assistance.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:49 PM
carcommander is infamous around these parts
I keep a tire plug kit in the car too. It can keep you from having to use sealent. I have one in every car.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:45 PM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 2008911tt
Well the solution in the 997 might get you to a safe place or the nearest tire store but squirting that tire sealer in will destroy the tire pressure sensor and will make a real mess to clean up off the inside of the wheel. Certainly not ideal and won't be cheap to fix but better than being stranded. Of course there is always the Porsche roadside assistance.
It is also completely useless if you have a blowout and the tire is destroyed. I had this happen in my 987 a week after I bought it and ended up carrying an e-bay spare in the trunk. I still have this spare in the garage and hope it fits on my 991. If not, I'll be looking to get a spare that does fit from elsewhere.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:34 PM
Badandy is a jewel in the roughBadandy is a jewel in the roughBadandy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 2008911tt
Being a long time Porsche fanatic and current owner of a 997 Turbo I have to say I was somewhat displeased with the new 991. The sun roof is an abomination
Then don't order it with one.

the rear end looks like a morphed Panamera rear end, and the ****pit is also very much Panamera-like.
Looks absolutely nothing like the Panamera.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:14 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Badandy
Then don't order it with one.

Looks absolutely nothing like the Panamera.
1) Everyone gets to have and voice an opinion. And you are totally correct - if he does not like it he will not buy it. I did and mine is about 10 nautical miles from port right now passing Newport R.I. - But then, I like his 997tt also.

2) I heard that the Volkswagen deal was off - lots of litigation flying around about it - they wanted to complete the deal, but if fell apart - last I heard. Anyone have more up to date news?

As for the "flat", I am sure that the tires will be more available as time goes on. Has anyone looked into run-flats or other tires for daily drivers and using the stock for track days and the like - I must say, I have seen people with 911's that have trailer hitches and pull small trailers with tires and tools to track events - very handy, but I can never get used to the way it looks - enigmatic to say the least.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:53 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AG991
1) Everyone gets to have and voice an opinion. And you are totally correct - if he does not like it he will not buy it. I did and mine is about 10 nautical miles from port right now passing Newport R.I. - But then, I like his 997tt also.

2) I heard that the Volkswagen deal was off - lots of litigation flying around about it - they wanted to complete the deal, but if fell apart - last I heard. Anyone have more up to date news?

As for the "flat", I am sure that the tires will be more available as time goes on. Has anyone looked into run-flats or other tires for daily drivers and using the stock for track days and the like - I must say, I have seen people with 911's that have trailer hitches and pull small trailers with tires and tools to track events - very handy, but I can never get used to the way it looks - enigmatic to say the least.
Problem with run-flats is that they greatly reduce the volume of air inside the tire so with low profile tires (which already have a low-er volume) those run-flats would make the ride VERY harsh.

Wish someone would come up with a system that deploys a rapidly expending foam which hardens upon contact with air in case of a flat... hey now there's an idea you could make some $$ off

Old 03-21-2012, 03:28 AM
19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by aamersa
A clear verdict in favor of the S.
Let it go......

Old 03-21-2012, 05:25 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 19hole
Let it go......
terrific

Old 03-21-2012, 07:05 AM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
Problem with run-flats is that they greatly reduce the volume of air inside the tire so with low profile tires (which already have a low-er volume) those run-flats would make the ride VERY harsh.

Wish someone would come up with a system that deploys a rapidly expending foam which hardens upon contact with air in case of a flat... hey now there's an idea you could make some $$ off
Speaking professionally, it is better not to announce your invention to the world until after you file a patent application. That said, that would be a good idea, but the gelling speed, given the rotational velocity of the wheel would be challenging - that and the fact that a tire is already filled with air to begin with so it is already in contact. I guess a nitrogen fill might get ride of that problem. Sorry, this is what happens when you give an idea to a patent attorney!

Old 03-21-2012, 09:51 AM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AG991
Speaking professionally, it is better not to announce your invention to the world until after you file a patent application. That said, that would be a good idea, but the gelling speed, given the rotational velocity of the wheel would be challenging - that and the fact that a tire is already filled with air to begin with so it is already in contact. I guess a nitrogen fill might get ride of that problem. Sorry, this is what happens when you give an idea to a patent attorney!
No I was trowing the idea out to you, your the master of invention.
With all those good ideas you've been floating i figured you'll probably be able to make this one work somehow.
Hmmm I know what it needs...while one waits on the side of the road for the foam to expand and harden, maybe we could use the thermal properties of the chemical reaction to produce a nice hot cappuccino.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clarkson reviews 991