Flooded with PDK Cars..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 03:46 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AG991
You are so right about the addiction! Have you been on Thunderbolt? Is it too much for a novice like me? I am sure I will be better this time - and I know enough now to just slow down, no matter what the instructor says, if I am not comfortable going at higher speed.

I have seen a number of GrandAm races there and it seems like a nice facility overall - can't go this year - who had the bright idea of running it on Mother's day?
I've been on thunderbolt many times. I like it better than thunderbolt since HP is not as big an issue as lightening.

You will be fine and if you get an instructor who is all about speed and not smoothness then ask for another one.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:47 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tommyv
Yeah Mike....those were the days!!

I was a fan when there were only 6 Teams in the League and Gump Worsley (God rest his soul) was the goalie and routinely made 50 saves a night. I was there when Andy Bathgate scored on a penalty shot against the Red Wings to put the Rangers into the playoffs....same night Gordei Howe scored his 500th!

Send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll shoot you some pics of the car....she's almost done....I'll have her by next Friday!

Looking forward to seeing everyone again this Summer (especially the girls in their bikinis....only problem is they used to look back!)

Best,

Tom

tom,

thats great news...just in time for the season...drove the boxster allot this week and its was awesome weather for it.

PM sent

Old 03-23-2012, 04:10 PM
tommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
tom,

thats great news...just in time for the season...drove the boxster allot this week and its was awesome weather for it.

PM sent
Thanks Mike!!

Old 03-23-2012, 09:37 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
WOW congrats!
You're a lucky guy (or rather will be soon ).
Since all that was available for my tests drives was a PDK 991, that's what I drove... and you're right the PDK is amazing!

If it wasn't for the fact that I had a auto trans in my last few rides C4s tip, Ferrari 360 F1 and DD's Benz GL & E class I would have taken the PDK as well but after 7 years I have a MT itch that I really need to scratch .

That said I am 100% sure you're going to enjoy the hell out of that beautiful new shine toy and be blipping that trans up and down all over the place .

Cheers!
Thanks.. I am hoping yours comes sooner than you think and I can't wait for pictures!

Old 03-23-2012, 09:47 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Sid - my 991s, with PDK, was delivered off of the ship on Tuesday and I have hopes to be driving it a week from today. I thought I would hate it, and I loved it. Not sure what I would do if one of my other cars was not manual to scratch that itch when I get it, but PDK was the first option I ordered. That said, I complerely understand why others might not like it - I don't think there is a really bad choice here, other than not getting what you want.

I am looking forward to being able to post pictures - I just need to figure out how to do it.

IMO, it's an easy decision if you already have a manual car that you love. I definitely don't need every car to be manual. All it takes is one.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:58 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by heavychevy
IMO, it's an easy decision if you already have a manual car that you love. I definitely don't need every car to be manual. All it takes is one.
I agree! I have a Mustang conv. that I love. I lowered it, added bigger Brembo breakers, stabilizers, new exhaust from the manifold back, cold air intake, computer tune and a 4:10 gear. I told the shop where I had it done that I wanted to beat most anyone from 0-35 - which is about as fast as you get to go in suburban NJ. The car is mid3's quick. But the drag gearing hurt my top end - a top end I can never use in NJ. It is a great car with a great clutch and it definitely allows me to scratch a number of itches.

Ford has come back well. But the ride is so different than the 997 and 991, it is difficult to say they are both cars. Mi love them both and I am glad I have not had to choose between them.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:37 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Thanks.. I am hoping yours comes sooner than you think and I can't wait for pictures!
Hmmmm yeah that's going to later than sooner...
I've finally made my decision and I'm going to be patient for once in my life and wait ...
Instead of getting the C2S cab, which has been delayed till July (meaning August) I've changed my order to the C4S cab (my dealer assured me it WILL be a wide-body, although they haven't received any pics yet).

Can't believe I'm actually going to wait that long but that's the one I really want so... patience it is.

In the mean time I'll drive my current "Frankenstein" C4S cab while searching the net for pics and of course experience the new 991 vicariously through people like yourself... thank God for 6speed .

Looking forward to pics of your new ride!

Cheers!

ps. for now this pic is what keeps me patient...

Attached Images  

Last edited by Psycho Sid; 03-24-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
Hmmmm yeah that's going to later than sooner...
I've finally made my decision and I'm going to be patient for once in my life and wait ...
Instead of getting the C2S cab, which has been delayed till July (meaning August) I've changed my order to the C4S cab (my dealer assured me it WILL be a wide-body, although they haven't received any pics yet).

Can't believe I'm actually going to wait that long but that's the one I really want so... patience it is.

In the mean time I'll drive my current "Frankenstein" C4S cab while searching the net for pics and of course experience the new 991 vicariously through people like yourself... thank God for 6speed .

Looking forward to pics of your new ride!

Cheers!

ps. for now this pic is what keeps me patient...
I can see that when it comes to cars you are an a&$ man! Good show! If you still spend time in Montreal, a 4 makes a lot of sense - plus it will be very cool. You will get a 2013. I am sure there will be something special as that is the 50th for the 911. With luck you will have pictures of my build by this time next week and I will just have to be patient to see yours - not my best quality either! Oh well, good for you for waiting and getting what you want. Mine is the Porsche of my dreams, but I seriously go back and forth on the cab - to late now.

I agree about the 6. Still feel like the new guy, but I will be I plan to make up for it.

Back at you soon!

Old 03-26-2012, 11:30 PM
tachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to all
Originally Posted by uhn2000
Been checking dealer inventories online and I am amazed at the # of PDK cars they have in inventory from both 2011 and 2012 (997/991). Granted the 991 is still only arriving in PDK I wonder whether some are holding out to buy the new rides waiting for the 7speed manual??. Or those that want a 991 PDK are custom ordering versus buying off the lot?? When I was helping my friend shop in the fall for a new 997.2 there were quite a few well optioned out 6MT 997.2s, now its just the crumbs and lots of PDK.

**No this is not a thread for PDK versus MT. I was just curious because from what I am seeing Porsche Canada is having a hard time moving the current inventory so far. Now take the Cayenne and Panamera; still after being out for a few years there is still low supply and for the Cayenne there is not 1 in stock, anywhere! I wonder whether the weather is playing a role but I can't see that being the case it feels like summer here.

My dealer has personally told me that the cars are not moving at the pace they expected and he thinks that a lot of Canadians are waiting for the 4(S) models. Pretty interesting analysis thats all; 911s have never been big movers but you would think that for a new big splash model there would be people lining up at the door! Does not seem to be the case...? :roll eyes: I think discounts are coming.
i've been thinking it's gotta be 7 MT if it's a porsche 911 since i was a kid, and i've also been thinking anyone who drives tiptronic or pdk on 911 must be a gay. when it comes to my turn, i just ordered a pdk don't get me wrong, i'm a MT believer in a sports car, but i just thought it's too inconvenient to drive manual with my dress-shoes on. that's all.

question for everyone here, 7 SPEED MT will drop my 991 resale value later? or will it increase the resale value?

Old 03-28-2012, 01:18 PM
Frissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud of
It would be interesting if we do a follow 991 inventory thread because so far I don't see them flying out the door, or brokers trying to make a buck on them, not to say a killing like they used too

Old 03-29-2012, 01:13 PM
MBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by tachyon
i've been thinking it's gotta be 7 MT if it's a porsche 911 since i was a kid, and i've also been thinking anyone who drives tiptronic or pdk on 911 must be a gay. when it comes to my turn, i just ordered a pdk don't get me wrong, i'm a MT believer in a sports car, but i just thought it's too inconvenient to drive manual with my dress-shoes on. that's all.

question for everyone here, 7 SPEED MT will drop my 991 resale value later? or will it increase the resale value?
That will definitely be the question down the line. I honestly don't think it will make much of a difference. The manual transmission has been around for over 100 years, with the PDK being such an advancement I think it'd be logical to upgrade. However, there is something about the feel of a manual that doesn't have me entirely convinced in a PDK. For me, I'll stick with the MT!

Old 03-29-2012, 07:51 PM
tachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to all
Originally Posted by MBENZF1
That will definitely be the question down the line. I honestly don't think it will make much of a difference. The manual transmission has been around for over 100 years, with the PDK being such an advancement I think it'd be logical to upgrade. However, there is something about the feel of a manual that doesn't have me entirely convinced in a PDK. For me, I'll stick with the MT!
I agree. I just revised my build today and changed to MT. Hope I don't regret.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:09 PM
MBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by tachyon
I agree. I just revised my build today and changed to MT. Hope I don't regret.
I understand launch control, quicker shifts and paddle shifting. But I have a hard time not pressing the clutch. I test drove a PDK not to long ago, I continued to slam my left foot against the foot stop. My salesman laughed as I stomped the footwell and kept grabbing the lever trying to change gears. I understand it's a matter of getting use to it, but it's almost intuition. I don't slam my left foot in my daily driver, but in the Porsche it's just natural. As with any sports car. In my opinion, I enjoy the feel of the clutch, I think it connects you more to the car, you get that feeling of being in-tune with gas, grip and bite. Ultimately it brings me back to my childhood of sitting in my living room, fantasizing about a 911 and changing imaginary gears

Last edited by MBENZF1; 03-29-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:10 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by uhn2000
Been checking dealer inventories online and I am amazed at the # of PDK cars they have in inventory from both 2011 and 2012 (997/991). Granted the 991 is still only arriving in PDK I wonder whether some are holding out to buy the new rides waiting for the 7speed manual??. Or those that want a 991 PDK are custom ordering versus buying off the lot?? When I was helping my friend shop in the fall for a new 997.2 there were quite a few well optioned out 6MT 997.2s, now its just the crumbs and lots of PDK.

**No this is not a thread for PDK versus MT. I was just curious because from what I am seeing Porsche Canada is having a hard time moving the current inventory so far. Now take the Cayenne and Panamera; still after being out for a few years there is still low supply and for the Cayenne there is not 1 in stock, anywhere! I wonder whether the weather is playing a role but I can't see that being the case it feels like summer here.

My dealer has personally told me that the cars are not moving at the pace they expected and he thinks that a lot of Canadians are waiting for the 4(S) models. Pretty interesting analysis thats all; 911s have never been big movers but you would think that for a new big splash model there would be people lining up at the door! Does not seem to be the case...? :roll eyes: I think discounts are coming.
My dealer (in the USA) tells me they have no 991s on the floor to sell and orders are filled to October deliveries. Someone should send a few down here.

ChuckJ

Old 03-31-2012, 08:41 PM
gleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to behold
My dealer sold six last Saturday. All that's left are the two demos. A new batch, including my ordered car, are en route. This includes a few bases and a lot of cabs!