Lease deals on 991

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 07:37 PM
skinzy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dlchasen
If by investing you mean tossing the dice in the stock market, I agree with your decision. Many people, however, have investment opportunities which yield well into double digits, and tying up capital in cars makes no sense. The length of ownership is irrelevant since you could always lease for three years and buy at the end.
So your saying those double digit returns are risk free? CAPM suggests otherwise. Not familiar with lease terms but are you saying the three year lease + purchase is cheaper then an original cash purchase? If that's true then that clearly would be the best option. Suspect the interest rate makes it less desirable.

Last edited by skinzy; 06-19-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:24 PM
dlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nice
Originally Posted by skinzy
So your saying those double digit returns are risk free? CAPM suggests otherwise. Not familiar with lease terms but are you saying the three year lease + purchase is cheaper then an original cash purchase? If that's true then that clearly would be the best option. Suspect the interest rate makes it less desirable.
There's no such thing as a risk free investment. Not one - gold, diamonds, government notes, annuities, Muni bonds, real estate, etc., even though I invest in the latter two. My primary investments are in renovating entry level homes. I partner with a GC and get annualized returns of > 25%. I know this business very well, yet I realize a cataclysmic event could hurt me. If that occurs, however, your investments in equities and bonds will likely tank as well, not to mention the value of your vehicle. My point is that if you're relegated to risky stock bets, I agree with you and you should buy your car. Of course I would prefer low interest lease deals as what goes into their pocket comes out of mine, but I prefer the flexibility of getting out of cars as technology improves, and I choose to not take the risk of diminished value in the event of an accident. And, in the meanwhile, my investment income more than covers the depreciation. This is all very basic Investment 101.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:23 AM
skinzy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dlchasen
There's no such thing as a risk free investment. Not one - gold, diamonds, government notes, annuities, Muni bonds, real estate, etc., even though I invest in the latter two. My primary investments are in renovating entry level homes. I partner with a GC and get annualized returns of > 25%. I know this business very well, yet I realize a cataclysmic event could hurt me. If that occurs, however, your investments in equities and bonds will likely tank as well, not to mention the value of your vehicle. My point is that if you're relegated to risky stock bets, I agree with you and you should buy your car. Of course I would prefer low interest lease deals as what goes into their pocket comes out of mine, but I prefer the flexibility of getting out of cars as technology improves, and I choose to not take the risk of diminished value in the event of an accident. And, in the meanwhile, my investment income more than covers the depreciation. This is all very basic Investment 101.
Having taught "Investment 101" for 34 years I continue to disagree with the notion that one does not understand investing if you pay cash for a car. That is a nonsense blanket statement that is not universally true. It depends on each persons situation and risk tolerance! The "diminished value" lease argument is one of the TRUE reasons to lease. By the way another error in your statement is that I own bonds....factually untrue!

Old 11-20-2012, 02:08 PM
Fan26 is infamous around these parts
one of the reason I leased is because of the hassle free return at end of lease.

I had accident on my previous leased car, both MBZ and P-car, all i need is to fix it, repaint it, then good to go for return

Imagine if I bought the car and it has been repainted, or worse in my last 997.2 C2S which had a frame damage, no dealer will even buy it from me. I will be killed by the used car lot.

I use lease as a "honey moon" period. If I had no accident in the lease period, than I will decide if I will keep the car or not, but if I had any accident or paint job done, i can dump it back to dealer with no question asked.

I am not in the used car business and hate to deal with dealer when is time to sell my car. I did that for couple of my previously purchased car and the experience is not good at all.

just my 2 cent

there is no right or wrong about leasing and buying

Old 11-20-2012, 11:10 PM
ale70 is a name known to allale70 is a name known to allale70 is a name known to allale70 is a name known to allale70 is a name known to allale70 is a name known to all
Good morning everybody...

This is exactly my point. My current SUV got rear ended by a reckless driver and it lost 20% of its value. Good thing it is leased and i will be happy to give it bak in a few months.

The honey moon period is exactly my philosophy. End of lease if nothing has happened and i still like the car, i will keep it.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:17 PM
540Oak is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by hashrogers
..... so total interest cost over 4 years is 28k

Can someone tells me what PFinancial's rates are? I guess we'll never see a 1.9% finance rate like I got from BMWFS

Old 11-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Porsche Financing best rate for lease is MF .002 =4.8%

Old 11-22-2012, 09:20 PM
540Oak is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Fan26
Porsche Financing best rate for lease is MF .002 =4.8%
thx Fan however I think its more in Canada

Old 11-22-2012, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by 540Oak
thx Fan however I think its more in Canada
Sorry, didn't know you were looking for Canada rate.