Power War Is over for Porsche

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 05:08 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Power War Is over for Porsche

May be of interest.

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/p...324-1vqdw.html

But no real news anyway as Porsche has only ever given modest power increases.....

Old 03-24-2012, 05:25 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by speed21
May be of interest.

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/p...324-1vqdw.html

But no real news anyway as Porsche has only ever given modest power increases.....
Interesting read -- but I kind of doubt it. If there's a market desire, they'll find a way. If you think about how much power has increased per cylinder over the decades, I think it's hard to imagine that we've really hit the limits of technology and ingenuity.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:48 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Yeh, you're probably right. I can imagine the Power war would quickly restart if Nissans GTR was able to gain distance in straight line speed from Porsche. Power would come straight back onto the drawing board....even if in the form of a hybrid drive....and a few more turbochargers..

Old 03-24-2012, 08:11 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Hey Speed, nice find!

Cheers!

Old 03-25-2012, 08:08 AM
Jeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of light
If the faithful want power..... they will find a way.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:26 AM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
Can you say Ruf?

Old 03-25-2012, 09:53 AM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
while I don't think we have hit the limits of power and emissions balance, I think the investment is going to be on managing emissions standards at least in the current run of the model redesigns. It may take some time to get those managed prior to launching investments into increased power with better emissions. I think what Porsche is saying is that their investment is going to be on solving the US emission standards (a significant market for them) - for now.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:46 AM
mikegr is infamous around these parts
It is happening in F1 race cars for decades now. Almost every year new restrictions are applied but cars become better and more powerfull.
Besides this article refers to Boxter, i dont think that Turbo series or GT2 for example will follow these guidelines...

Old 03-26-2012, 02:35 PM
Airdoc is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mikegr
It is happening in F1 race cars for decades now. Almost every year new restrictions are applied but cars become better and more powerfull.
Besides this article refers to Boxter, i dont think that Turbo series or GT2 for example will follow these guidelines...

This is a bit of an “old wound” on the Cayman/Boxster side, but many believe that Porsche never intended to maximize power on this platform in the first place.
So it is interesting that they declared the “hp war” over. Let’s see if they make the same quote in reference to the 911’s.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:44 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I think the power war is over, it grew so quickly, how much further are manufacturers willing to go and put a warranty on it? 700 hp? 800 hp?

There is no way they can justify putting that in the hands of egoists and young knuckleheads who will tear them up faster than you can imagine.

Chevy has already said not to expect much increase in the C7. Even the Viper can't go much higher NA and pass emissions.

600-700 hp is as high as it's going to get, which is why they are pushing all the new technologies as the selling point to distract us from the fact that there won't be big increases in HP.

A 700 hp 991 Turbo S is not going to happen. We have reached the edge of useable power for the street as it relates to the handling capabilities of todays street cars. They are too aero, tire, and suspension limited in stock form to make use of any more HP.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:44 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
IMO, it's not a good development, given that these are sports cars. I don't see more power being needed for the Turbo and Turbo S, but more would be nice for the base/S 911 and Cayman/Boxster.

There's also some "cheating" going on by emphasizing hp numbers, since we're not getting the improvements we'd like in torque, plus peak torque appears to be moving higher up in the rev range, which makes a very noticeable difference. PDK can partly compensate for that, but it could be more of an issue with manual.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:12 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by heavychevy

A 700 hp 991 Turbo S is not going to happen. We have reached the edge of useable power for the street as it relates to the handling capabilities of todays street cars. They are too aero, tire, and suspension limited in stock form to make use of any more HP.
Valid point. There is more to a good sports car than just being able to go fast in a straight line and 997Turbo S is already pulling sub 3 sec. The new triple turbo will be interesting along with the rumored 4 wheel steer on the rear to improve handling. Porsche has always been about less weight and better drivability.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:48 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I think the power war is over, it grew so quickly, how much further are manufacturers willing to go and put a warranty on it? 700 hp? 800 hp?

There is no way they can justify putting that in the hands of egoists and young knuckleheads who will tear them up faster than you can imagine.

Chevy has already said not to expect much increase in the C7. Even the Viper can't go much higher NA and pass emissions.

600-700 hp is as high as it's going to get, which is why they are pushing all the new technologies as the selling point to distract us from the fact that there won't be big increases in HP.

I stand corrected: Ford shoots the first bullet!!!!

http://www.insideline.com/ford/shelb...auto-show.html

This is crazy!!! 950 and 1000 hp from a Mustang. I want one.