test

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
Not sure what you mean.

I should have braked hard to avoid him?...I'm going about 100 coming out of that turn, I don't think I would have stopped in time.

Also, I'm on line and have several people coming from behind me that are still in the turn and haven't yet seen what is going on entering the straight.
This is clearly a judgment call. Obviously, since you did not get clobbered you were "right" and not "wrong". Had you suddenly come off the throttle to get on the brakes, perhaps you might have spun too and once you lose control, there's no telling what might have happened.

I do think that if your car was tracking straight enough (or if you could have straightened it up if only for a split second) to avoid the dreaded lift throttle oversteer syndrome, your car at ABS threshold would have stopped much quicker than the spinning Boxster. That's just a fact. You wouldn't have had to come to a complete stop either; just slowed enough to see which way he was going to ultimately head so you could go somewhere else.

With regard to the cars behind you; inasmuch as it is a DE and not a race, they have an obligation to be able to slow and avoid you. If they can't avoid a car braking completely under control, although admittedly where they might not expect to find one, your chief driving instructor needs to put on a special seminar for them emphasizing looking ahead and getting the big picture. The only three ways to control your car are with the throttle, steering wheel and brakes. Don't limit yourself to 2/3 of them! Good thread. Best,

Last edited by Steamboat; 04-03-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:36 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Some good points Steam..thanks

To be honest I never thought of breaking hard and stopping.

Last edited by buck986; 04-03-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:23 PM
cayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant future
I watched SENNA movie over the weekend, enjoyed it very much, and even as of today I still categorize people as either Senna (the Passionate) or Prost (the LOSER!)...

Here, I'd like to announce:

BW => Senna
Speed21 => Prost

Old 04-03-2012, 03:33 PM
cayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant future
Boxster should have let BW to pass, rather than trying to keep up with more advanced driver/car... At the end of the video, I also saw other cars passing by who were behind BW, and they were even more closely packed... I see no wrong doing by BW...

Old 04-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
Some good points Steam..thanks

To be honest I never thought of breaking hard and stopping.
It's not the same situation, but whenever I fear that I'm coming into a turn way too fast, I try to use the available road to straighten out and threshold brake before turning, rather than attempting to brake and turn at the same time.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:46 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Some regions and events make good use of the blue signal flag with a yellow diagonal stripe. Displayed towards you it officially means that you're being overtaken by a faster vehicle and you should yield position.

Unofficially it means, 'There's a race going on behind you that you're not part of. Get outta the way, right now!"

More regions should adopt its use.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:57 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Manifold
It's not the same situation, but whenever I fear that I'm coming into a turn way too fast, I try to use the available road to straighten out and threshold brake before turning, rather than attempting to brake and turn at the same time.
No not the same but good advice in some situations.

...in turn 12 here I actually have learned to get to the gas before the apex. And it took me a long time to get to do that.

It is actually one of three very difficult turns for me at NJMP, Thunderbolt. (3,4,12). The other turns are just difficult!

Last edited by buck986; 04-03-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by Steamboat
Some regions and events make good use of the blue signal flag with a yellow diagonal stripe. Displayed towards you it officially means that you're being overtaken by a faster vehicle and you should yield position.

Unofficially it means, 'There's a race going on behind you that you're not part of. Get outta the way, right now!"

More regions should adopt its use.
Steamboat...we use the blue flag but once in the jersey devil there is no passing.

In that short straight before the devil there is no flag station.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Dukekid68 is infamous around these partsDukekid68 is infamous around these parts
having driven both NJMP tracks several times (Thunderbolt is the one from the video) I would guess he lifted.

The stretch of track into-and-out of the underpass is pretty bumpy and most people come out toward the left side of the straight (where the grass is) and it's easy to lift fearing you'll drift left into the grass...which unfortunately causes you to correct right and get way to much steering suddenly as he did.

I've seen several races where cars have done just that (drop left tire, etc) and suddenly shoot right across the straight...hence the reinforced armco on the right and the runoff area to the left where these guys ended up.

QUOTE=speed21;3504362]A small over correction at that speed while suddenly lifting off all the power = lift off oversteer Can be hard to recover if you aren't ready for it. A lot of guys have no idea just how easy it is to lose it like that...can be fatal taking the foot off the accelerator suddenly in any turn.....the tail will go around.[/QUOTE]