New 991 Owner - Need Help re: air conditioning at start up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 11:54 PM
hattrick17 is infamous around these parts
New 991 Owner - Need Help re: air conditioning at start up

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 991s and learned that each time I start the car, the air conditioning system is automatically activated. I then have to manually turn the fan speed down until the system shows "off". This is the case even when I shut the car off and the a/c unit is off. I have searched for threads that address how to fix this issue but have not found anything that has helped. In case it matters, I have the keyless drive/entry, PDK and Sport Chrono. I believe this may be a setting programmed into the key, but I do not know how to unprogram it or override it. Any one have a similar experience and/or can share how to solve this problem?

Thank you.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:47 AM
mark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud of
It's in the memory setting in the "Climate" section. If all fails, take it to the dealer

Old 04-06-2012, 12:52 AM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
it stores AC settings in your seat settings.

set seat, set mirrors, set stereo and A/C settings and then store your selections in the memory.

my cayenne did the same thing... should be the solution.

also i think one of the settings auto saves when you turn the car off..

Old 01-08-2014, 10:45 PM
shaytun is infamous around these partsshaytun is infamous around these parts
I hate to rehash this issue, but I just bought my '14 C2S 2 days ago and my ONLY complaint is the fan being on all the time. I turned "Auto Memory" off. I turned the fan off. If I turn the car on and off without locking the car, the fan stays off. The second I lock and unlock the car, the climate control fan turns on. The manual isn't really helping. I'm sure it's something simple I'm missing. Any updates from anyone?
Btw, there is no "Climate" menu that I see.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:42 AM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Shaytun,

Try setting the car up the way you want it (with the fan off), and then use the seat memory buttons on the left door panel to save your settings to all three numbers: 1, 2, and 3 (key).

Then, turn the car off, lock it with the key fob, unlock it, and turn the car back on. Hopefully, the fan will be off. Also, make sure you're not switching between both of your key fobs. They each have their own respective settings that can be saved.

For what it's worth, I have a similar problem with my surround sound setting. It won't save my preference, no matter what I do. Dealer will be checking it out tomorrow.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:07 AM
porsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to beholdporsche42 is a splendid one to behold
Yeah I have the same problem, the fan comes on all the time, I did try the seat setting, that changed the temp, but I cannot turn the fan completely off. I tried starting the car, shutting the climate control off, fan to off, then saving the settings with seat setting. Locked the car, reopened it, and started it car went back to the last fan setting and temp. Will bring to dealer in the spring. PIA for sure. Cars are just to smart these days!! I still laugh at the dual climate settings in a sports car.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:22 AM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
You actually have to turn "Auto Memory" on in the settings.

This is the setting that saves whatever setting you had it on when you shut the car down every time.

Do a test run. Turn the "Auto Memory" on in the settings, then choose a radio station, turn the climate control way up and shut the car down. Turn the car on again and it should be the exact same settings before you shut the car down.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:28 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Try saving your settings to 3(key). If you save your setting to anything other than 3 and lock the door with your key, your setting will save to the previous 3 setting, I think. I think there is also a setting for key memory - that needs to be checked or unchecked, depending on what you want to do.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:51 PM
empunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of light
I have the same issue. I always prefer to have the fan/AC off and I have to manually turn it off every time I start the car - just like I have to turn SPORT mode on every time... I'll play around with the memory buttons and settings to see if I can fix it.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:18 AM
hattrick17 is infamous around these parts
Since writing the original post almost 2 years ago, I've given up on a solution. I had the car at my local dealer and met with a tech on the issue for about 45 minutes. We checked several other 991's, and learned that they all do the same thing. The tech even took the time to call engineers in Germany about the issue. The response from Germany was that the car was designed this way intentionally. The ONLY way to have the fan off is to manually switch it to off each time you start the car. It is a huge PIA...worse than Sport mode not staying on. Perhaps if enough people complain, Porsche will fix this in a software update.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:29 AM
shaytun is infamous around these partsshaytun is infamous around these parts
That definitely is annoying if true. I tried all sorts of settings last night and still no luck. So hattrick may be right. But I'll keep trying. I'm just surprised that if this is true of all 991's, more people haven't complained.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:28 AM
empunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of light
I also messed around with it last night with no luck...

With the car running I reprogrammed all 3 memory buttons including the #3 key button with the A/C off. When I pressed buttons #1 and #2 it remained off, but when I would press button #3 (key button) the A/C would turn on again and a message would pop up on the bottom of the PCM screen stating that Key 1 settings were being recalled.

So if it's programmed into the key fob then that would explain why every time you start the car it turns on.

I'm guessing that most people prefer to have the A/C on at all times which is why Porsche designed it this way.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:01 AM
DKC
DKC is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by hattrick17
Since writing the original post almost 2 years ago, I've given up on a solution. I had the car at my local dealer and met with a tech on the issue for about 45 minutes. We checked several other 991's, and learned that they all do the same thing. The tech even took the time to call engineers in Germany about the issue. The response from Germany was that the car was designed this way intentionally. The ONLY way to have the fan off is to manually switch it to off each time you start the car. It is a huge PIA...worse than Sport mode not staying on. Perhaps if enough people complain, Porsche will fix this in a software update.
I have noticed exactly this fan-refuse-to-be-off issue as the fan comes on everytime regardless of me trying to program fan-off into my key.

But what annoys me even more is that re-circulation-on (ie not letting outside air in) also refuses to stay on. Every time the car starts, fan is on and re-circ-off (letting outside air in). This may be good in places with great air quality and few cars, but being in a traffic jam sucking in other cars' exhaust is not good for health.

Another annoying feature is radio also comes on every time! I want to have no radio sound when I start the car but the radio refuses to do this!

So when I start my car, I have to press these buttons everytime:
1. Auto start-stop off
2. re-circulation on
3. radio off.

Never needed to press so many buttons when I start a car in any of my previous (cheap) cars.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by Christophosphorus
Try setting the car up the way you want it (with the fan off), and then use the seat memory buttons on the left door panel to save your settings to all three numbers: 1, 2, and 3 (key).

Then, turn the car off, lock it with the key fob, unlock it, and turn the car back on. Hopefully, the fan will be off. Also, make sure you're not switching between both of your key fobs. They each have their own respective settings that can be saved.
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
Try saving your settings to 3(key). If you save your setting to anything other than 3 and lock the door with your key, your setting will save to the previous 3 setting, I think. I think there is also a setting for key memory - that needs to be checked or unchecked, depending on what you want to do.

Maybe it didn't work for me because I wasn't locking the car with the key fob after I reprogrammed button #3 (key button)... I'll try it again and let you all know if it works.

Originally Posted by DKC
Another annoying feature is radio also comes on every time! I want to have no radio sound when I start the car but the radio refuses to do this!

So when I start my car, I have to press these buttons everytime:
1. Auto start-stop off
2. re-circulation on
3. radio off.

Never needed to press so many buttons when I start a car in any of my previous (cheap) cars.

I'm not sure about the radio, but I know that the Auto Start-Stop feature can be programmed to stay off through the memory buttons!

Old 01-10-2014, 11:26 AM
c4s4jd is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DKC

Forgive me if this is no help, but on my recently purchased 2011 C4S I need to push and hold the radio power button to turn the radio off and have it still be off the next time I start the car. If I just push the power button it mutes the radio instead of turning it off and the next time I start up the radio comes on.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New 991 Owner - Need Help re: air conditioning at start up