991 Base Model or "S"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 11:57 AM
BoDiamond is infamous around these parts
no type

Originally Posted by GS997S
Certainly nothing wrong with the base car, but I think I would rather have the S, especially since the engine displacement on the base car is down to 3.4 liters.

Just curious about the purchase of your 997 cab. You stated that the original owner tried to sell you the car for 60K, but you offered 70K, then settled on 65K? Is that a typo?
Not a typo, bought the car from a good friend that knew I was going through mid-life #5 and tried to sell it to me way below book. I think it's bad karma to take advantage of a friend so I offered him book and he refused. We settled in the middle. At least I can look the guy in the eye now without being embarrassed.

On the other hand, if a stranger offered to sell it to me for 60K that would be a different matter.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:12 PM
BoDiamond is infamous around these parts
Status

Not that anyone should care, but here's the latest status. Both sides of my brain engaged in a fight. The logical side was "***** slapped" by the other side. Now both sides are in agreement the "S" is the way to go. I am just gearing up to build a house now and hope to break ground in a few weeks. Build should take about 6 months. I'll wait a few months into the build before I order the car. Even the "girl" who is now my wife is insisting I get myself the new 991. I am not going to argue with her.

Thanks very much to all for your inputs!

Old 06-03-2012, 01:30 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
The question of base or s was easy for me. I ordered an agate grey base model with full leather (black and grey), power prem plus, 20 inch wheels, multi funct heated steering wheel, folding exterior mirrors and pdk. the car will be a daily driver, and will it may be tempting, I don't see my 58 year old butt hauling around a track in my new $100K+ car.
More power (pun intended) to all of you who go for it with with a fully loaded S model, the suspension and exhaust options are amazing. for me, driving this beauty is the fulfillment of a 46 year old dream saw a green porsche targa (i think it was a targa) in the showroom when my dad picked up his 1966 VW 1300 sea sand sedan. It was love at first sight...I seem to recall that the 1966 porsche was $7500 - an unheard of sum in those days.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:57 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
lotta back and forth on this, i think a MT 991S with sport pasm plus and sport plus seats would be a perfect vehicle and just under 100k.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:41 PM
Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rnl
The question of base or s was easy for me. I ordered an agate grey base model with full leather (black and grey), power prem plus, 20 inch wheels, multi funct heated steering wheel, folding exterior mirrors and pdk. the car will be a daily driver, and will it may be tempting, I don't see my 58 year old butt hauling around a track in my new $100K+ car.
More power (pun intended) to all of you who go for it with with a fully loaded S model, the suspension and exhaust options are amazing. for me, driving this beauty is the fulfillment of a 46 year old dream saw a green porsche targa (i think it was a targa) in the showroom when my dad picked up his 1966 VW 1300 sea sand sedan. It was love at first sight...I seem to recall that the 1966 porsche was $7500 - an unheard of sum in those days.
I share your love of green porsches too.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:14 PM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by BoDiamond
Greetings,
Trying to decide between 2012-2013 991 S or Base model. I have never driven the S and wonder if anyone with practical experience can tell me if the extra $$ for the S is worth it? I never really understood the fuss over Porsche and had no desire to own one until a friend sold me his new 997 Cab with 5,000 mi on the clock. He tried to sell it to me for 60K, I offered him 70K and we argued for a while. He finally agreed to 65K, I gave him a check for 67K. Best Car I have ever driven to date! I ended up trading the car for a dog (long story) but now I really want to get a 991. Nothing fancy, just a coupe, manual tranny.
If I get the base model, am I going to be kicking myself for not getting the extra 50 HP of the S? Are there any other practical differences I would notice driving the S such as “feel” or sound?
Thanks much for your comments.
-Bo
base is more than plenty. I say go for it.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:17 PM
BrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud ofBrandonH has much to be proud of
Love the dog story...

and this is some funny chit

strange thing is no one seemed to care that I brought my Ducati up the elevator to my apartment every day..

Old 06-04-2012, 05:03 PM
skinzy is infamous around these parts
Now that I have had time with my "S" I will offer this. If its a money thing then I would not hesitate to get the base and would be very happy I did. If money is not an issue and/or you plan to track the car then the "S" is a must have.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:25 PM
tachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to alltachyon is a name known to all
Short version of the story. I was living in a 1 bedroom apt at Santana Row (San Jose, CA). Then I met this girl, girl had a dog. Girl turns out to be the girl I have been searching for all my life and had given up finding. Dog has some serious medical problems. I adopt the dog along with the girl and they both move in to my 1 bedroom. I don't know how much a Bugatti Veyron costs to maintain but I would be surprised if it costs more than this dog. Apartment manager gets wind of the dog and sends letter to get rid of the dog or move to one of their dog friendly condos for another $2K a month. My girl is crying, the dog is looking up me wagging it tail...crap. So I move to the Condo. I'm at OSH hardware in the bolts/screws isle and thoughts are creeping into the back of my mind "I need to cut costs"... Then this guy walks up to me and says "I saw you drive up, what a beautiful car (997 cab) I was thinking of getting one just like it." "I'll sell you mine" I replied. Done deal, car gone just like that.

I never thought I traded the car for a dog until my girl's mom told my girl "He sold the car to pay for your dog you know" The my girl asked me "is that true?" I told her "no I never really liked that car, I was planning to get rid of it."

someone ratted me out for the dog but the strange thing is no one seemed to care that I brought my Ducati up the elevator to my apartment every day. Manager even saw me one time and I'm thinking "Oh crap" but he did not say a word.

Dog died about a year later but you can't say I didn't try.
what a great story.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by skinzy
Now that I have had time with my "S" I will offer this. If its a money thing then I would not hesitate to get the base and would be very happy I did. If money is not an issue and/or you plan to track the car then the "S" is a must have.
I'll counter that and say that as a base owner, I am glad that I did not spend the extra for an S. If money were an issue I would not have bought a car that priced out to a good deal more than a basic S coupe. If money were the issue I wouldn't spending so much of it on a toy like this.

Porsche marketing has been pushing the S almost to the point of barely acknowledging the existence of the base. The S was launched first and most of the press pool cars are 3.8s. Most 991s on the dealer floor seem to be 3.8s. Smart move on Porsche's part. The cost to build and sell an S vs. a base is probably <30% of the difference in sales price of the two cars. The rest is profit.

The base car is exceptionally fast. Yes, the S is marginally faster and has some more torque at lower RPMs , but the difference is very small. I did not want PASM. The base brakes are more than you'll ever need on the road. I also did not want 20" wheels. The roads around here can look like they've been taking a beating from a howitzer. The 20" tires are unreasonably expensive and have been difficult to obtain up to now. I also think the 19s look great.

I am extremely satisfied with my choice to forgo the S. The 3.4 is a fantastic car.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:58 PM
S-B-D is infamous around these partsS-B-D is infamous around these parts
I personally don't see the point of the base car over a loaded up Cayman S or R, or even a slightly used 997S. I suppose, inevitably, there must be a base variant of the car, but I would choose any of the aforementioned options over the base 991. Just my $0.02.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:51 PM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
I just spent 4 days in a base Cab in Germany (on the Treffen). Had no problem staying with others with S coupes just with a little effort (so to speak). Managed 264k with the top down. What a thrill!

John in Vancouver.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:28 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
omit

Last edited by rnl; 06-07-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:33 PM
rnl
Originally Posted by S-B-D
I personally don't see the point of the base car over a loaded up Cayman S or R, or even a slightly used 997S. I suppose, inevitably, there must be a base variant of the car, but I would choose any of the aforementioned options over the base 991. Just my $0.02.
Thank you. What a relief. I was wondering what to do when my 991 base model arrives in the next couple of weeks or so. I guess I will just trade it in for a used 997s. I cannot imagine what I would have done without your advice. Say, you have any opinions about how to accomplish world peace too?

the really nice thing about ordering a Porsche is that you can have the exact car that you want built the way that you want it built. Folks buy the car they want and as you may not have noticed, they appear to be extremely excited about their choices and the car they will soon own and drive. I know I am.

Last edited by rnl; 06-07-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:06 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
The base will always be the best "value" of a 911 type because it's the same chassis and 95% of the technology of its siblings. (Conversely, the margins are highest for Porsche on the Turbo).

But, to me the fact that you are even asking whether you'd regret it means you well might...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 Base Model or "S"