991 Base Model or "S"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 08:57 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rnl
Thank you. What a relief. I was wondering what to do when my 991 base model arrives in the next couple of weeks or so. I guess I will just trade it in for a used 997s. I cannot imagine what I would have done without your advice. Say, you have any opinions about how to accomplish world peace too?

the really nice thing about ordering a Porsche is that you can have the exact car that you want built the way that you want it built. Folks buy the car they want and as you may not have noticed, they appear to be extremely excited about their choices and the car they will soon own and drive. I know I am.
Hope he's wrong, I'm trading in my 997 C2S for my 991 base. I'll let you know.

ChuckJ

Old 06-08-2012, 02:15 AM
EnriqueCK is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by BoDiamond
Short version of the story. I was living in a 1 bedroom apt at Santana Row (San Jose, CA). Then I met this girl, girl had a dog. Girl turns out to be the girl I have been searching for all my life and had given up finding. Dog has some serious medical problems. I adopt the dog along with the girl and they both move in to my 1 bedroom. I don't know how much a Bugatti Veyron costs to maintain but I would be surprised if it costs more than this dog. Apartment manager gets wind of the dog and sends letter to get rid of the dog or move to one of their dog friendly condos for another $2K a month. My girl is crying, the dog is looking up me wagging it tail...crap. So I move to the Condo. I'm at OSH hardware in the bolts/screws isle and thoughts are creeping into the back of my mind "I need to cut costs"... Then this guy walks up to me and says "I saw you drive up, what a beautiful car (997 cab) I was thinking of getting one just like it." "I'll sell you mine" I replied. Done deal, car gone just like that.

I never thought I traded the car for a dog until my girl's mom told my girl "He sold the car to pay for your dog you know" The my girl asked me "is that true?" I told her "no I never really liked that car, I was planning to get rid of it."

someone ratted me out for the dog but the strange thing is no one seemed to care that I brought my Ducati up the elevator to my apartment every day. Manager even saw me one time and I'm thinking "Oh crap" but he did not say a word.

Dog died about a year later but you can't say I didn't try.
Great story!

Old 06-08-2012, 05:49 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Hope he's wrong, I'm trading in my 997 C2S for my 991 base. I'll let you know.

ChuckJ

I have found that there are a lot of folks who are not confident in themselves and their choices in life. It is my opinion that they are the ones who generally tout their choices and acquisitions as the very best, the greatest and just superior. Think Donald Trump. It is my opinion (Donald, this is an opinion and not subject to any claim for defamation) that guy can buy anything (except hair) and put his name on it, yet, he keeps on telling anyone who will listen that he is the greatest, number one, smartest and best.

I have always wanted to purchase a Porsche 911. I am very excited that it is now on the boat and will be arriving soon in Rhode Island. I have been enjoying the reports from all posting on this forum about their builds. The excitement and the support and advice provided here (with rare exception) is wonderful.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:48 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Yep, I think the decision to buy a particular brand or options on that brand are individual and based on varied circumstances. My only fear is that I'm used to a 3.8 with good torque and haven't driven a base. I'm pretty sure it will be plenty for my needs, though.

ChuckJ

Old 06-08-2012, 08:01 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Yep, I think the decision to buy a particular brand or options on that brand are individual and based on varied circumstances. My only fear is that I'm used to a 3.8 with good torque and haven't driven a base. I'm pretty sure it will be plenty for my needs, though.

ChuckJ

I drove them both and they both seem to have the ability to provide whiplash upon acceleration. They are both monsters. By way of background, as a young driver I had a 1968 Pontiac Firebird, 4bbl. It was a monster that did one thing well...it had straight line acceleration. Try to corner in wet conditions and you might as well just order a casket...it was dangerous in the rain. The base had more grunt and acceleration than the firebird plus it takes a curve like it is on rails.

My dealer asked me about how and where I intended to drive it and when I explained that I had no intent to track it and that I was using it as a daily driver. he recommended the base model saying that it was more than enough power for a daily driver and that should i ever track it, it would be powerful enough to provide a satisfactory track experience.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:05 AM
skinzy is infamous around these parts
Recent excellence review of base by Chris Harris suggests "I think the peak torque delivery and intermediate gearing of the 3.4 make the S's extra poke seem quite appealing". He goes on to say in the prior version 911 he traded his S for a base. Not this time!

Old 06-08-2012, 08:10 AM
rnl
i read that article too....there are other reports GT Porsche or Total 911 that suggest that the base is the way to go - but, that is their opinion and this is a hands on decision which we must make for ourselves. Unlike plastic surgery or a tattoo, if you don't like the decision you can always trade or sell the car, there is no pain (other than some small monetary penalty) associated with changing your mind.

Let's respect and applaud the decisions of those who go for the fully loaded S model and those who elect to select a base. Bottom line, there is no substitute.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:15 AM
skinzy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by rnl
i read that article too....there are other reports GT Porsche or Total 911 that suggest that the base is the way to go - but, that is their opinion and this is a hands on decision which we must make for ourselves. Unlike plastic surgery or a tattoo, if you don't like the decision you can always trade or sell the car, there is no pain (other than some small monetary penalty) associated with changing your mind.

Let's respect and applaud the decisions of those who go for the fully loaded S model and those who elect to select a base. Bottom line, there is no substitute.
Well said!

Old 06-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by rnl
I have found that there are a lot of folks who are not confident in themselves and their choices in life. It is my opinion that they are the ones who generally tout their choices and acquisitions as the very best, the greatest and just superior. Think Donald Trump. It is my opinion (Donald, this is an opinion and not subject to any claim for defamation) that guy can buy anything (except hair) and put his name on it, yet, he keeps on telling anyone who will listen that he is the greatest, number one, smartest and best.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Sapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant futureSapster has a brilliant future

ChuckJ
Don't worry Chuck. I think you'll be more than happy.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:32 AM
cayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant futurecayenne958 has a brilliant future
Drove both "base" and S this week. I LOVE the exhaust sound of S! Not so much so with the base one though... neither had sport exhausts.

In terms of acceleration, both need to be pushed hard for you to feel the g-force, but base got more than plenty of power. I am pretty sure vast majority of 991 owners, unless they track, won't be able to utilize even 30% of the "base" car's potential... just like Steinway or Bösendorfer pianos in most affluent homes being played twinkle twinkle little star or fur elise or some Mozart sonatas and nothing more advanced...

I did not even feel S had more power actually... but it could be just me playing the twinkle twinkle..

Old 06-10-2012, 09:02 AM
rnl
Originally Posted by cayenne958
Drove both "base" and S this week. I LOVE the exhaust sound of S! Not so much so with the base one though... neither had sport exhausts.

In terms of acceleration, both need to be pushed hard for you to feel the g-force, but base got more than plenty of power. I am pretty sure vast majority of 991 owners, unless they track, won't be able to utilize even 30% of the "base" car's potential... just like Steinway or Bösendorfer pianos in most affluent homes being played twinkle twinkle little star or fur elise or some Mozart sonatas and nothing more advanced...

I did not even feel S had more power actually... but it could be just me playing the twinkle twinkle..
Well put. I drove both S then Base then S then Base. I made a real pain in the butt of myself with a very understanding dealer an was intimidated by the raw power of both cars. Perhaps it was my lack of skill or perception but the base was more than adequate for me. The best news is that the Marguerite Ace cargo ship is mid Atlantic ocean scheduled for docking at Davisville RI on 6/14!!! Just a few more painful days until the car arrives at the dealer.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:41 PM
dlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nice
Originally Posted by Sapster
I'll counter that and say that as a base owner, I am glad that I did not spend the extra for an S. If money were an issue I would not have bought a car that priced out to a good deal more than a basic S coupe. If money were the issue I wouldn't spending so much of it on a toy like this.

Porsche marketing has been pushing the S almost to the point of barely acknowledging the existence of the base. The S was launched first and most of the press pool cars are 3.8s. Most 991s on the dealer floor seem to be 3.8s. Smart move on Porsche's part. The cost to build and sell an S vs. a base is probably <30% of the difference in sales price of the two cars. The rest is profit.

The base car is exceptionally fast. Yes, the S is marginally faster and has some more torque at lower RPMs , but the difference is very small. I did not want PASM. The base brakes are more than you'll ever need on the road. I also did not want 20" wheels. The roads around here can look like they've been taking a beating from a howitzer. The 20" tires are unreasonably expensive and have been difficult to obtain up to now. I also think the 19s look great.

I am extremely satisfied with my choice to forgo the S. The 3.4 is a fantastic car.
When you say "marginally faster", do you happen to know the difference in 0-60 between a base PDK and an S PDK? I'll be trading my '07 S manual and I assume the new base is comparable in terms of speed.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:39 AM
muifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of lightmuifast is a glorious beacon of light
...I never thought I traded the car for a dog until my girl's mom told my girl "He sold the car to pay for your dog you know" The my girl asked me "is that true?" I told her "no I never really liked that car, I was planning to get rid of it."

someone ratted me out for the dog but the strange thing is no one seemed to care that I brought my Ducati up the elevator to my apartment every day. Manager even saw me one time and I'm thinking "Oh crap" but he did not say a word.

Dog died about a year later but you can't say I didn't try.
Not that anyone should care, but here's the latest status. Both sides of my brain engaged in a fight. The logical side was "***** slapped" by the other side. Now both sides are in agreement the "S" is the way to go. I am just gearing up to build a house now and hope to break ground in a few weeks. Build should take about 6 months. I'll wait a few months into the build before I order the car. Even the "girl" who is now my wife is insisting I get myself the new 991. I am not going to argue with her.

Thanks very much to all for your inputs!
Wow, great story. S is a fantastic choice, best wishes to you and your girl...

Last edited by muifast; 06-11-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:21 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by skinzy
Recent excellence review of base by Chris Harris suggests "I think the peak torque delivery and intermediate gearing of the 3.4 make the S's extra poke seem quite appealing". He goes on to say in the prior version 911 he traded his S for a base. Not this time!
read that also....made me feel good.

I like how you need to work the base to keep it running at a high level on the track.

Last edited by buck986; 06-11-2012 at 11:32 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 Base Model or "S"