991 Base Model or "S"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 11:07 AM
BoDiamond is infamous around these parts
991 Base Model or "S"

Greetings,
Trying to decide between 2012-2013 991 S or Base model. I have never driven the S and wonder if anyone with practical experience can tell me if the extra $$ for the S is worth it? I never really understood the fuss over Porsche and had no desire to own one until a friend sold me his new 997 Cab with 5,000 mi on the clock. He tried to sell it to me for 60K, I offered him 70K and we argued for a while. He finally agreed to 65K, I gave him a check for 67K. Best Car I have ever driven to date! I ended up trading the car for a dog (long story) but now I really want to get a 991. Nothing fancy, just a coupe, manual tranny.
If I get the base model, am I going to be kicking myself for not getting the extra 50 HP of the S? Are there any other practical differences I would notice driving the S such as “feel” or sound?
Thanks much for your comments.
-Bo

Old 04-16-2012, 11:28 AM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
this has been discussed at length in other threads. Some people prefer the S but I drove both and I went with the base car, manual tranny. Although you will find it different than your 997 ( and only you can decide if it's a good difference) the 991 is a very competent car. If you are going to spec a base car order it with the 20 inch wheels and other than the absence of red brake calipers there will be no discernable visual difference from the S (if you get the model designation delete as I did). At the end of the day it's a personal choice so I suggest you drive both.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:32 AM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
Both are great cars, If you care for PASM, 20"s and red calipers then go for the "S".
Power wise, you will not notice the 50hp+ under normal driving conditions IMO, and there are a few reviews out there that are not crazy about PASM in this car.
My base is a comfortable DD and a beast when pushed hard.
I am very impressed and I absolutely love everything about it, besides its color.

Last edited by galion; 04-16-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:07 PM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
They are the same car.... S has more power and more money.... The only time it doesn't make sense is if you start adding a lot of options.... Then S is a better idea...

Old 04-16-2012, 12:22 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BoDiamond
Greetings,
Trying to decide between 2012-2013 991 S or Base model. I have never driven the S and wonder if anyone with practical experience can tell me if the extra $$ for the S is worth it? I never really understood the fuss over Porsche and had no desire to own one until a friend sold me his new 997 Cab with 5,000 mi on the clock. He tried to sell it to me for 60K, I offered him 70K and we argued for a while. He finally agreed to 65K, I gave him a check for 67K. Best Car I have ever driven to date! I ended up trading the car for a dog (long story) but now I really want to get a 991. Nothing fancy, just a coupe, manual tranny.
If I get the base model, am I going to be kicking myself for not getting the extra 50 HP of the S? Are there any other practical differences I would notice driving the S such as “feel” or sound?
Thanks much for your comments.
-Bo
The base is more than enough car for almost everyone.

If you buy a base what you must be able to do is block out views of a few posters here that are...how can i say it properly.... are performance and driving skill experience lacking.

Some reviewers and owners think the base is a better driving car since you need to be engaged with it more..others think its not worth the efforts to be engaged.

good luck with whatever you choose.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:23 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by m5_2010
They are the same car.... S has more power and more money.... The only time it doesn't make sense is if you start adding a lot of options.... Then S is a better idea...
that is a very good point...

Old 04-16-2012, 01:12 PM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
why don't you like your white car? Mine is white too and I love it with teh blue interior.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by tromero
why don't you like your white car? Mine is white too and I love it with teh blue interior.
I was going to ask that also..but he may be mad at me and I didn't want him to think i was starting any trouble!

I think the 991 is gorgeous in white

Old 04-16-2012, 01:17 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
If you are going to track it (and want to win), get the S with the performance options including PDCC, and PDK. If not, get the base. I would consider getting the 20" wheels and I would also drive a PDK car before you decide. I turned up my nose to any automatics for years until I drove a PDK.

ChuckJ

Old 04-16-2012, 02:42 PM
BoDiamond is infamous around these parts
Guess I get the Base then

Thanks to all for your help! I will get the base. It's just going to be a daily driver, with the wife also driving sometimes. I understand the PDK is better but I still prefer shifting. No track time at my age!

I'm thinking the 19" wheels are better for me as they might ride smoother than the 20" wheels.

thanks again

Old 04-16-2012, 03:09 PM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
Originally Posted by BoDiamond
Thanks to all for your help! I will get the base. It's just going to be a daily driver, with the wife also driving sometimes. I understand the PDK is better but I still prefer shifting. No track time at my age!

I'm thinking the 19" wheels are better for me as they might ride smoother than the 20" wheels.

thanks again
Manual gearbox is the way to go and I agree with 19" wheels. Good luck.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:31 PM
19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of19hole has much to be proud of
A base car, MT is what I picked and I have no regrets. Get the 20" wheels and add PASM. The ride is far superior to my 997.2.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:09 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by tromero
Silver was my first choice, but since there were no pure silvers in the Porsche color pallete (Blueish or goldish tones blah, blah), I ordered white based on everyones opinion of how good it looked in the 991.
Now that I've seen a Platinum Silver in the flesh which BTW looks absolutely stunning, I am kind of dissapointed for not ordering it.

White seems to be a very popular choice and I know is a great color, but IMO it doesn't show the lines of my 991 like a brighter metallic paint would do. No offense but it looks too plain and simple, maybe that is a good thing, but OTOH, it doesnt look like a $100K+ car to me.

Originally Posted by buckwheat986
I was going to ask that also..but he may be mad at me and I didn't want him to think i was starting any trouble!
I think the 991 is gorgeous in white
Haha, not at all buckwheat, I always appreciate a polite and inteligent discussion.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:15 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by galion
Silver was my first choice, but since there were no pure silvers in the Porsche color pallete (Blueish or goldish tones blah, blah), I ordered white based on everyones opinion of how good it looked in the 991.
Now that I've seen a Platinum Silver in the flesh which BTW looks absolutely stunning, I am kind of dissapointed for not ordering it.

White seems to be a very popular choice and I know is a great color, but IMO it doesn't show the lines of my 991 like a brighter metallic paint would do. No offense but it looks too plain and simple, maybe that is a good thing, but OTOH, it doesnt look like a $100K+ car to me.

Haha, not at all buckwheat, I always appreciate a polite and inteligent discussion.
Your car is beautiful! And next time you can treat yourself to silver- and maybe a CAB if they are really stiff enough.

ChuckJ

Old 04-16-2012, 11:27 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
So what up with the dog, it sounds like a good story.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 Base Model or "S"