Track wheels?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 06:40 AM
991_Omaha is infamous around these parts
Track wheels?

Has anyone ordered a set of track wheels yet? I'm thinking 18's with some DOT slicks... I ran the stockers on the first track day and literally destroyed all 4 tires within 5 hours. I got 4 new tires (same as the originals) but I have no intention of spending $2K every track day for new tires. Just wondering what wheels everyone got if you have some track rims? I can't seem to find any decent wheels and I'm not buying expensive rim's for the race track. I'm thinking like OZ with some Michelin slicks.... thoughts?

Old 04-17-2012, 11:28 AM
MileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the rough
Destroying all 4 tires at one 5 hr track day seems a little extreme to me. How did they wear? Any pics? Which tires? Very curious. The trouble with going to a sticky track slick is that it totally changes the cars' setup. The suspension is overworked, the car loads and unloads at extremes that it wasn't designed for (suspension, engine oil, etc). I wouldn't run racing rubber unless I had a roll cage in my car. It may even have warranty implications. There is a reason Porsche develops a GT3RS. Even thought the C2S is a capable car, it is not a track machine like the GT3RS, and was not designed to handle the extremes of the track, even though it is very very fast on the track. What track??

Old 04-17-2012, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by MileHigh911
Destroying all 4 tires at one 5 hr track day seems a little extreme to me. How did they wear? Any pics? Which tires? Very curious. The trouble with going to a sticky track slick is that it totally changes the cars' setup. The suspension is overworked, the car loads and unloads at extremes that it wasn't designed for (suspension, engine oil, etc). I wouldn't run racing rubber unless I had a roll cage in my car. It may even have warranty implications. There is a reason Porsche develops a GT3RS. Even thought the C2S is a capable car, it is not a track machine like the GT3RS, and was not designed to handle the extremes of the track, even though it is very very fast on the track. What track??
All 4 tires were shredded down to the cords. They wore somewhat evenly but the rear inner tires took the brunt of the destruction. Let's just say I left the track praying to make it the 20 miles home.

I only took a pic of one of the rears which appeared to lose the inner tread completely. It's hard to tell in the pic but the outer of the tire tread is 1/4" higher than the inner, lol. They chunked up pretty bad.

I was thinking of just doing some 18's with DOT Michelin slicks. I know its not a race car.... but at the same time I had no issues keeping up with a 3.8 GT3 RS. He did get me in a few corners but then again its a whole different class of car; but I was pulling on him on the straight.... Could've been the driver though.

I figure 18" wheels will give me more contact patch. Keep the same width and such, just change to 18 from the stock rims. My ultimate goal is to get a little more traction- but also not go through tires in one track day.

The track was Mid-America Motorplex in Iowa.

Attached Images  

Last edited by 991_Omaha; 04-17-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:23 PM
gleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to behold
Omaha-

Do you have PDCC?

Des anyone know if pdcc works with other than 20 inch wheels!

Old 04-17-2012, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by gleek48
Omaha-

Do you have PDCC?

Des anyone know if pdcc works with other than 20 inch wheels!
I have PDCC. I'm not sure- dealer didn't say anything about potential issues with 18's and PDCC.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:43 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 991_Omaha
I have PDCC. I'm not sure- dealer didn't say anything about potential issues with 18's and PDCC.
this is an interesting point...when we first heard about pdcc I thought it might have a negative effect on tire wear and asked that question here. The general consensus was no...it would not.

But the computer is working hard to keep the anti-roll bars in position to keep the car straight so wouldn't this put extra strain on some of the tires.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
this is an interesting point...when we first heard about pdcc I thought it might have a negative effect on tire wear and asked that question here. The general consensus was no...it would not.

But the computer is working hard to keep the anti-roll bars in position to keep the car straight so wouldn't this put extra strain on some of the tires.
I have no idea... but I'll let you know

Old 04-17-2012, 05:28 PM
SpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant future
I read that PDCC REQUIRES 20 in wheels...

Old 04-17-2012, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by SpeeddemonC2
I read that PDCC REQUIRES 20 in wheels...
I have no idea.... I'll ask the mechanic and also have him check with Porsche corporate to see what they say. I'm not sure why the wheel size matters with PDDC but I guess we'll find out.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:11 PM
rdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of light
I have no idea.... I'll ask the mechanic and also have him check with Porsche corporate to see what they say. I'm not sure why the wheel size matters with PDDC but I guess we'll find out.
Any update on this? Thanks.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:47 PM
Shizzle is infamous around these parts
I doubt you'll find any 18" wheel that will fit in the rear. i've got a set of 19" HRE P43S and the lower contol arm only clears the barrel by 4mm. As for PDCC and PSM they both work based on an expected tire profile range and relative wheel spin between front and back. You can run smaller wheels but you'll need to keep your overall tire profile within 3% of stock as a general rule. I've seen traction control kick in at weird times when not using proper relative profiles.

Last edited by Shizzle; 08-26-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:02 PM
thigos is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Shizzle
I doubt you'll find any 18" wheel that will fit in the rear. i've got a set of 19" HRE P43S and the lower contol arm only clears the barrel by 4mm. As for PDCC and PSM they both work based on an expected tire profile range and relative wheel spin between front and back. You can run smaller wheels but you'll need to keep your overall tire profile within 3% of stock as a general rule. I've seen traction control kick in at weird times when not using proper relative profiles.
Its good to know that a 19 clears pdcc cars. Like the OP i am looking into some 19" OZ ultraleggeras (im thinking orange would be sick). The p43 is one of my favorite wheels btw! Im just not looking to spend that kind of dough on track wheels.

Shizzle- what tire and tire sizes are you running? Any pics?

Old 08-29-2012, 09:14 AM
brownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the rough
Dollars to doughnuts the OP was running too much pressure. There doesn't seem to be a mention of the pressure hot, cold or otherwise so I'm just guessing here. If the OP started out on the stated street pressures then if he was pushing the car then those probably trended up beyond 50PSI hot.

Summer street tires will do perfectly fine for DE use of 4-5 sessions a day of 20-30 minutes. Depending on the tire you should get 30-50 sessions out of them regardless of what combination of alphabet soup acronyms you have on your 991.

Suggest some basic reading on tire pressure and asking some instructors or advanced students at the next event. You probably need to be at 36-38 PSI HOT to maintain those tires.

Would also suggest not moving to slicks until you have 20+ days under your belt. "Stuff" happens much more quickly on slicks and as another poster indicated it does put additional pressure on the car in ways where the side effect may not be desired.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:11 AM
Former Vendor
TAGMotorsports is infamous around these parts
If you want a good set of track wheels but more than likely 19" is going to be the route you will haveto go...

The OZ Ultraleggera's or the BBS CH-R wrapped in Pilot SuperSports would be a good bet as they have the PSS in the 245/40/19 and 295/35/19. Michelin currently doesnt have a Pilot Sport Cup offering in sizes that could accommodate the 991.

There are Pro's and Con's to both. The BBS CH-R's are 24.5LBS Front and 26.3LBS Rear HOWEVER The Ultraleggera's weigh in at 21.7LBS in the Front and 24LBS in the rear. Here is one thing to consider though - the BBS's come in a 19x9Front and the OZ's are 19x8.5Front... That extra .5" width would be certainly nice for the track days keeping that tire planted better.

Give us a call, we would be more than happy to help you out if you have ANY quesitons at all. (888)920-1766

Last edited by TAGMotorsports; 08-29-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:58 AM
thigos is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TAGMotorsports
If you want a good set of track wheels but more than likely 19" is going to be the route you will haveto go...

The OZ Ultraleggera's or the BBS CH-R wrapped in PZero Corsa's would be a good bet as they have the Pirelli PZero Corsa's in the 245/40/19 and 295/35/19. Michelin currently doesnt have a Pilot Sport Cup offering in sizes that could accommodate the 991.

There are Pro's and Con's to both. The BBS CH-R's are 24.5LBS Front and 26.3LBS Rear HOWEVER The Ultraleggera's weigh in at 21.7LBS in the Front and 24LBS in the rear. Here is one thing to consider though - the BBS's come in a 19x9Front and the OZ's are 19x8.5Front... That extra .5" width would be certainly nice for the track days keeping that tire planted better.

Give us a call, we would be more than happy to help you out if you have ANY quesitons at all. (888)920-1766
Do you know if the OZ's will clear on PDCC cars? Also, what are your thoughts on a set of R888s?

I looked at the corsas and didnt find a 245/40/19

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Track wheels?