Why 991 over slightly used Audi R8?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 10:49 AM
Breaker841 is infamous around these parts
R8 V10 great for look, street and track driving.

R8 V8 for the look only.
Many reviews say the V8 is the track version to get, and I can see why! As someone who has ACTUALLY tracked the R8 V8, it has superb balance. The power is all usable, and the car is extremely forgiving while learning the line, and very quick out of the corners once you find the line. V10 is nose heavy, and considerably less forgiving (more prone to understeer close to the limit). I haven't tried the 991 yet (tracking one in a month in Vegas back to back with a 997 TT and a GTR), but I am very interesting how it will feel in comparison.

Very interested in a R8 V8 vs. 997 GTS vs. 991S vs. GTR discussion.....

Old 04-18-2012, 10:50 AM
rdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks for the link. Will enjoy my 991 for a couple of years, and then consider the R8 after the dual clutch transmission is available.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:53 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Breaker841
Very interested in a R8 V8 vs. 997 GTS vs. 991S vs. GTR discussion.....
As far as the GT-R, I don't think this is the correct company to have in the same discussion (unless the only factor is price).

And I completely agree with your assessment of the balance of the R8. It was very 'Cayman' like to me. It moved exactly where I wanted it to, when I wanted it to. I love the way it handles. It just feels - right (very similar to the Cayman S experience I had last year).

Old 04-18-2012, 11:14 AM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Have you checked insurance cost? I think the R8 is one of the highest.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:16 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by frank69m
My quote was slightly higher than my 996 C2, and about 15% more than the GT-R. Overall, it wasn't really enough to factor in as an issue.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:43 PM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by frank69m
I expected to get murdered on insurance but surprisingly, whereas my 997 was $1500/yr here in NJ, the R8 was "only" $1700/yr. Insurance is a non-issue.

BTW, if anyone is interested, someone is selling a immaculate white/red leather '11 V10 6 speed spyder with 1900 miles for $150K obo on r8talk. If you can get that car in the 140's, it would be an awesome purchase. (no affiliation, just passing along what I read)

Old 04-19-2012, 04:32 PM
cabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud of
Just like some people have room presence, the R8 has it own presence.

Whenever I have taken it the past few months it is noticed BIG TIME.

In my 16 years of owning new 911 I have never experienced anything like this.

It is super on the road too.

With the top open it is very enjoyable on a nice partly cloudy day.

Looks wise IMO they are hard to beat.

Kudos to Audi.

Name:  DSC_0727.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  105.2 KB

Name:  DSC_0733.jpg
Views: 1707
Size:  106.9 KB

Old 04-19-2012, 04:53 PM
rdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of lightrdalcanto is a glorious beacon of light
Cabman4007... you aren't helping me....

VERY NICE CAR!!!

Old 04-19-2012, 05:32 PM
cabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud of
If I were you I would definitely go for the R8 V10 coupe or Spyder.

I thought I would never leave the Porsche brand but when I laid eyes on the V10 Spyder it was, "Porsche who?"

The P car is faster agreed but it has little razzle dazzle or street presence.

Wait till you get into a V10,,you will not believe the hoopla made everytime you leave the garage.

When I got my red 997 turbo I was so excited but after numerous trips to and fro the store, service stations, restaurants no one ever said ,, wiw, what a car. I got this, who makes that turbo VW? I said yeah sort of. The P cars get little respect.

The anthesis is the R8!!!! OMG, it mesmorizes most with it gorgeous looks.

Life is VERY short.

If possible and feasible buy it and you will be big time pleased.

PM me when you get it.

Don

Old 04-20-2012, 05:58 AM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
have driven both. if it was the R8 V10 you were thinking of it would have been a different story but the V8 is just no match for the 991S, as far as performance, capability is concerned and don`t ge me started about the usability and practicality.
the 991 is a bit more comfortable (and much more luxurious) as well.
the R8`s platform is 5 years old, the 991 is brand new and you can feel that.
looks are subjective. i think the new 991 is the best looking 911 since..i don`t know, even 911 hater Clarkson thinks it´s good looking.
the R8 is gorgeous in my view, but the facelift is just around the corner and after that the current generation will look more or less dated.
991S all the way this time!
Just a little different perspective here. The r8's platform is 5 years old, but the R8 platform (my definition - the tradeoff between handling and comfort) was superior over the 997 such that the 991 has caught up to the "old" R8 platform. Also, those who have visited the factory and have seen the facelifted R8 have stated that it is quite subtle - the big deal is under the skin - the double clutch transmission which required a thorough re-engineering of the R8's rear end underpinnings (but not the looks). As far as practicality, I agree, I consider the R8 (especially the spyder) a "selfish car" only fit for me, my wife and a weekends worth of luggage. Forget baby seats, golf clubs will fit (but then forget the wife!), no kids. But then again, very few R8 owners have this as their only vehicle. Each to their own - the 991 and the R8 are both great.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:15 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cabman4007
Just like some people have room presence, the R8 has it own presence.

Whenever I have taken it the past few months it is noticed BIG TIME.

In my 16 years of owning new 911 I have never experienced anything like this.

It is super on the road too.

With the top open it is very enjoyable on a nice partly cloudy day.

Looks wise IMO they are hard to beat.

Kudos to Audi.

nice car! i have always loved the R8, but the thing is,
not all car owners want the constant attention you get by driving this thing.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:23 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Alan
Just a little different perspective here. The r8's platform is 5 years old, but the R8 platform (my definition - the tradeoff between handling and comfort) was superior over the 997 such that the 991 has caught up to the "old" R8 platform. Also, those who have visited the factory and have seen the facelifted R8 have stated that it is quite subtle - the big deal is under the skin - the double clutch transmission which required a thorough re-engineering of the R8's rear end underpinnings (but not the looks). As far as practicality, I agree, I consider the R8 (especially the spyder) a "selfish car" only fit for me, my wife and a weekends worth of luggage. Forget baby seats, golf clubs will fit (but then forget the wife!), no kids. But then again, very few R8 owners have this as their only vehicle. Each to their own - the 991 and the R8 are both great.

the R8 has always been the better layout being midengined, but despite having 35 more hp, in terms of performance both, the 997S and the R8, were pretty evenly matched. the R8 is more comfortable and better balanced/less nervous than the 997S tho.
with the 991 the game has completely changed. as you know Porsche´s platforms do last 2 generations, the 996 and 997 were pretty much the same technically. so the 991 is like a step of 2 generations and clearly the benchmark again. that may change with the next gen. R8 in 2015.